SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen any posts about modified fog light grilles so I figured I'd post up some pics of mine. I think the factory injection molded grilles are unappealing at best and very cheap looking for a 40k+ car. So I decided to modify the grilles. They're by no means perfect but I plan to order the Euro grilles and do it again. The soft plastic didn't take to well to the oven I used to cure the adhesive haha. I'll be doing the main grille soon here using the same material and painting everything behind the grilles black so it's less noticable. Hope you guys enjoy!!

Factory grille

Most of the factory insides cut out

Both grilles cut out and "glued"

Before I adhered the grilles to the factory housing

"Finished" product. Like I said I'll be redoing them with the hard plasic Euro grilles. Oh and don't mind the bird S&%t directly in the center of the bumper haha

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Nice job! :thumbup: finally something different...;)

if you have the balls you can cut this on the inside of your front cover and it'll look even better...cause you know it bugs you now...like so.

·
Registered
172 Posts
The picture is a bit dark to appreciate on the car but they looked great. Does any one have images of the European ones that fit our cars? Maybe we could get a few people together and order some?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice job! :thumbup: finally something different...;)

if you have the balls you can cut this on the inside of your front cover and it'll look even better...cause you know it bugs you now...like so.

I'm not even sure what I'm looking at but I'll check it out haha.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The picture is a bit dark to appreciate on the car but they looked great. Does any one have images of the European ones that fit our cars? Maybe we could get a few people together and order some?
I'll try to get a picture in the sun. It was a bit overcast that day. The Euro grilles just have the inner section of the grille cutout between the ribs. Viva sells them for like 40ish a side I believe. The advantage for this application would be the plastic compound. They're a hard plastic and therefore would be alot easier to sand, cut etc.

·
Registered
172 Posts
What are the odds. I just picked my son from football and he points out that I am missing one of the grills. Where the F*** did it go??? It's almost funny....almost!

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Removing the center plastic apparently reduced the structural integrity of the grill so it just probably fell out, were they easier to install after the mod? If you find it i would use a piece of 3M trim tape to secure it better

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
NICE!!! And yes, even Dougy's. I like this much better than stock.

Dougy: What/who's mesh are you using?

Black1985gt: What/who's mesh are you using?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
look through your fog grill mesh and you'll see...i can see it in your pic it is still there

Ok dougy I see what your talking about. It does bug the hell out of me haha. I was planning on just painting that black but cutting it out would be even better. There's no adverse effects of cutting it out? One of these days I plan on doing dual R Kelly intakes.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NICE!!! And yes, even Dougy's. I like this much better than stock.

Dougy: What/who's mesh are you using?

Black1985gt: What/who's mesh are you using?
Honestly I cant even remember. I bought it off eBay just like dougy. It was 50 bucks for two 12"x48" sheets.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
Ok dougy I see what your talking about. It does bug the hell out of me haha. I was planning on just painting that black but cutting it out would be even better. There's no adverse effects of cutting it out? One of these days I plan on doing dual R Kelly intakes.
no adverse effects for me, but i think if your going to use R Kelly stuff you're not going to see it cause goes in front of it so you will not have to cut it.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Good job. But they look like the ERST grilles. Not 100% innovative, but A+ on effort and quality work. I would like to see them painted.

Oh and this is my grille.

And a bit of a teaser ;)

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good job. But they look like the ERST grilles. Not 100% innovative, but A+ on effort and quality work. I would like to see them painted.

Oh and this is my grille.

And a bit of a teaser ;)
Right after I posted the grilles I saw ye other thread with the link to the ERST website and saw them. I thought it was innovative but someone beat me to the punch haha. Oh well can't win em all I guess.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh and they actually are painted. I just opted to paint them black. I think I may switch the to a black surround with a dark silver grille material.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts