SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the shop the other day to get a quote on installing my downpipe. Anyways they won't install it without a cat. The downpipe as it is has a testpipe, (cat delete). So I guess my question is, what should I do. I can buy a magnaflow cat for like 75 bux, but where would I buy the 3 inch pipe. Also how much would it cost to have someone weld a cat to the 3 inch pipe?
- Any suggestions would be awesome, thanx guys

Ps: Another idea I had was to take the existing cat and move it further down the exhaust pipe. AKA after the dp and the testpipe, so that everything fit. Would that work?
Thanx again

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re: Custom exhaust question/ catalytic conv (gmugolf)

On mine I have a test pipe section that is about 22 inch long. At each end is v-clamps so I can remove it and put the CAT back in. I had my stock CAT welded to 3 inch pipe and made the same exact length. For most of my driving I have the CAT in. On my weekends I swicth it out for extra power. http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Why don't u try another shop ?

U can have them just weld it in the test pipe ... but get a high flow .... all they need to do is cut a piece of pipe and weld a cat in ..... should be cheap 50 at most ..... stil try another shop

That works too lol ^^^

·
Registered
9,124 Posts
Re: Custom exhaust question/ catalytic conv (x-omatic)

Sounds like they are a legit shop looking out for themselves. Its a massive fine for a professional business to remove a cat from a car... Id say find a buddy that works on cars and throw it in. I personally will run a cat but if you dont want to save yourself the cash and throw your buddy 40$ instead

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
Re: Custom exhaust question/ catalytic conv (jdsr917)

Quote, originally posted by jdsr917 »
Why don't u try another shop ?

+1

Keep in mind you will probably throw a cell running catless. This is your fix.
http://www.ipdusa.com/Universa...-4174/

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Custom exhaust question/ catalytic conv (mad matt)

It is 100% a legal issue. In the state of VA, it is a 50000 dollar fine, to any person/shop that removes a cat from a vehicle. That being said, I will probably try to manufacture a cat to a 3inch pipe, so that my car can still pass inspections.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

That being said, where can you find a high flow cat, for our model cars..... I have been looking everywhere, and the only cats that seem to be on the market, are for the old 2000 erra s40s....

·
Registered
4,563 Posts

Where did you get your Downpipe from? Might want to try ATP Turbo for the cat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Custom exhaust question/ catalytic conv (mad matt)

so I woke up on a mission this morning, to find a exhaust shop and get some answers... Anyways, HI-FLOW Customs is the poop. They are located in Manassas VA, the scott, was extremely helpful with everything. I will be going to get my dp installed on saturday for 150 bux!!!! yes 150 bux!! he said that he will weld a highflow magna flow cat to the testpipe for another 150. 300 is a phenominal price..... Anyways, scott said that the magnaflow cat will still throw off the cell, because it has no 02 port. Do you guys know anyway around this?

Ps: he said he would manufacture a custom exhaust 3inch cat back for 500.... Is 3 inches too big? wont i actually lose power, with no back pressure?
Thanx guys

·
Registered
4,563 Posts

3" is good. With a forced induction car you want the exhaust gasses to get out a quick as possible. From what I've read on here, back flow pressure dose not apply to turbo charged cars. The o2 bung should be on the DP just past the cat. You might be able to have the exhaust shop make the port for you, then use the o2 spacer to eliminate the cell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts