SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if there is a similar post I made a quick search and havent found what I am looking for please advise if it's the case.

So I am looking to build my own custom 3" exhaust, I already have the Heico 3" downpipe.

My questions are:
Which resonator do you suggest it need to be 3" in and out.
What would be a good muffler(3" in/out) to keep the nice sound of a 5 cylinders just like the IPD's oval catback exhaust, something close to this sound would make my day.

I looked at Magnaflow, vibrant performance and other I don't remember...
Suggestion and reference are welcome.
Thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts
Magnaflow have been quite raspy from my experience. As stupid as it sounds, see if anyone's done a flow master. They aren't the best flowing but they sound cool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gaj4sh6JjmI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
No resonator in my opinion, unless you want quiet until you floor it. I prefer a little tone so that's why I'd say leave the resonator out. You can always add it in later, and it will save ~80 bucks on your install at first. I have a magnaflow system and like it just fine. I dont get much raspyness unless my cutout is open :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No resonator in my opinion, unless you want quiet until you floor it. I prefer a little tone so that's why I'd say leave the resonator out. You can always add it in later, and it will save ~80 bucks on your install at first. I have a magnaflow system and like it just fine. I dont get much raspyness unless my cutout is open :D
Agreed but in my country cops are pita with this kind of things and i want to have something similar to the ipd or really close to this.
Thanks for the advise if you have any video with sound of your exhaust it would be appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
I had 3-inch on my T5 with a smallish straight-through magnaflow muffler at the same location as the original muffler. A little drone but still very easy to live with on long trips etc...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had 3-inch on my T5 with a smallish straight-through magnaflow muffler at the same location as the original muffler. A little drone but still very easy to live with on long trips etc...
Thanks
I heard that someone made a custom exhaust specially for not having drone effect if anybody have a link or name please let me know.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I used 2 Magnaflows on my custom 3" exhaust.
One in the stock location, and one just before the tip
No drone, pretty quiet, until you get in some serious boost!
IMO MagnaFlows give you the most value.
The last non-MagnaFlow muffs I bought were the old GM Corvair Turbo muffs on my 67 Camaro, decades ago

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
My setup has zero drone at any RPM. One magnaflow resonator mid-way in the straight section, and a magnaflow muffler inbetween the bends behind the rear-diff.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
The last non-MagnaFlow muffs I bought were the old GM Corvair Turbo muffs on my 67 Camaro, decades ago
What part number or size did you use before the tip?

My setup has zero drone at any RPM. One magnaflow resonator mid-way in the straight section, and a magnaflow muffler inbetween the bends behind the rear-diff.
Same question. What part number or size did you use before the tip? And how many inches did you leave between the front flange and the beginning of the resonator?

Mine looks good and sounds great from the outside. But way too much drone for my taste. I'm going to redo it.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
On S60s I consider the muffler "stock location" to be near the tip, by the battery in the trunk. The stock "resonator" is what is near the middle of the car.
I'd avoid putting anything at that location due to ground clearance issues unless it is barely larger than the pipe itself, especially on AWD models.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
On S60s I consider the muffler "stock location" to be near the tip, by the battery in the trunk. The stock "resonator" is what is near the middle of the car.
I'd avoid putting anything at that location due to ground clearance issues unless it is barely larger than the pipe itself, especially on AWD models.
I used a Vibrant Resonator in the tunnel near the stock location. My ground clearance is better than stock.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
What part number or size did you use before the tip?

Same question. What part number or size did you use before the tip? And how many inches did you leave between the front flange and the beginning of the resonator?

Mine looks good and sounds great from the outside. But way too much drone for my taste. I'm going to redo it.

I have a 5x8 oval muffler (PN 12219) in the stock location and a round resonator (PN 14419) located ~ where the stock resonator is, but I dont have any measurements. I plan on removing the resonator at some point when I dont feel like I need to save for maintenance.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I have a 5x8 oval muffler (PN 12219) in the stock location and a round resonator (PN 14419) located ~ where the stock resonator is, but I dont have any measurements. I plan on removing the resonator at some point when I dont feel like I need to save for maintenance.
Thanks. When it's convenient, can you eyeball the distance between the front flange and the beginning of the resonator? No hurry. It would be very appreciated if you could. And thanks in advance.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm using the same exact mufflers that stormchasin_racin is using. All the specs are in R. Kelly's exhaust compilation, which I think is in the modification index. He described perfect saying that adding 14219 as a resonator made a nice mature sounding exhaust. Initially I only installed 12219 (the 5x8) in the muffler cavity but I drove like that for about a day until I couldn't take the drone anymore. Now it's perfect, I can't hear it just cruising down the highway but when I get on it, heads turn!
i did quite an extensive amount of research and watched almost every s60r exhaust video on YouTube until I decided to go custom magnaflow. I would love to hear a identical setup but with Borla mufflers! I chose magnaflow bc of their reputation and cost. I also have an OBX downpipe with a Cat delete. Turbo spools much faster now and the car breaths better. Of all the inexpensive mods for the R, I would say adding the OBX downpipe is by far the best $150 you can spend.
I complemented the mufflers with two 60 degree T304 mandrel bends that I got from extremepsi.com. My cousin owns turbokits.com and also fabricates exhaust tips and all sorts of stuff under the name Black Label Fab. I used one of his exhaust tips because I wanted a dual 3" staggered exit exhaust tip. It looks sick.

My Recommendation for an Inexpensive, Awesome Sounding, Quality Exhaust
-OBX 3" Downpipe
-Magnaflow 14219 - 3" straight through muffler in the tunnel in place of muffler
-Magnaflow 12219 - 5x8 muffler in the cavity
-Two 60 degree mandrel bends (T304 stainless)
-6ft of T304 stainless (better to buy more than not enough)
-don't forget 3" flanges and RTV to make some gaskets or just buy a gasket

·
Registered
2,155 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I'm using the same exact mufflers that stormchasin_racin is using. All the specs are in R. Kelly's exhaust compilation, which I think is in the modification index. He described perfect saying that adding 14219 as a resonator made a nice mature sounding exhaust. Initially I only installed 12219 (the 5x8) in the muffler cavity but I drove like that for about a day until I couldn't take the drone anymore. Now it's perfect, I can't hear it just cruising down the highway but when I get on it, heads turn!
i did quite an extensive amount of research and watched almost every s60r exhaust video on YouTube until I decided to go custom magnaflow. I would love to hear a identical setup but with Borla mufflers! I chose magnaflow bc of their reputation and cost. I also have an OBX downpipe with a Cat delete. Turbo spools much faster now and the car breaths better. Of all the inexpensive mods for the R, I would say adding the OBX downpipe is by far the best $150 you can spend.
I complemented the mufflers with two 60 degree T304 mandrel bends that I got from extremepsi.com. My cousin owns turbokits.com and also fabricates exhaust tips and all sorts of stuff under the name Black Label Fab. I used one of his exhaust tips because I wanted a dual 3" staggered exit exhaust tip. It looks sick.

My Recommendation for an Inexpensive, Awesome Sounding, Quality Exhaust
-OBX 3" Downpipe
-Magnaflow 14219 - 3" straight through muffler in the tunnel in place of muffler
-Magnaflow 12219 - 5x8 muffler in the cavity
-Two 60 degree mandrel bends (T304 stainless)
-6ft of T304 stainless (better to buy more than not enough)
-don't forget 3" flanges and RTV to make some gaskets or just buy a gasket
This all sounds great. But I am looking to do dual exhaust. Right now I have it built back to behind the rear tires. And I'm wondering if the drone is because of the position of the resonator in the tunnel. That's why I want to hear from guys that have no drone. For now I just turned the pipes down behind the lower lip. So nothing is sticking out the back yet. I'm sure that is causing some of the drone. But it's pretty severe. In the end I expect I'll use two small Magnaflow, Vibrant or Borla mufflers and then quad tips. But I haven't worked out how I want the rear bumper yet.

I'd love to see pictures of your exhaust tips.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I have a Borla exhaust and Magnaflow resonator - love it!! Get compliments all the time and I passed the 'driving the parents to somewhere and the sound complaint was minimal' test!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had drone until I installed the muffler in the tunnel 14219. Almost completely gone now. I can't upload pics on here with my iPad so I'll try and post some when I get to work tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I had drone until I installed the muffler in the tunnel 14219. Almost completely gone now. I can't upload pics on here with my iPad so I'll try and post some when I get to work tomorrow.
I have tandem Bottle Style Resonators (part #1794) in the tunnel right now. They're 3" inlet/outlet x 12" long each. They tuck up in the tunnel very neatly. So I have great ground clearance.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts