SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has any of you guys had a custom downpipe made for the s40?if any of you have had one custom made, how did it preform and how much did it cost??$600-800 seems very ridiculous.

·
Registered
199 Posts
With that LS swap, I didn't think you needed a downpipe....I'm curious to find out about performance too though. If you KNOW somebody, I can't imagine it costing more than a couple hundred though.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With that LS swap, I didn't think you needed a downpipe....I'm curious to find out about performance too though. If you KNOW somebody, I can't imagine it costing more than a couple hundred though.
touché :)

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
LS Swap?

"Embody god... Then go crazy"

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LS Swap?

"Embody god... Then go crazy"
I have "LS swapped, turbosupercharged, and 1854 horsepower to the windshield" in my little description below as a joke lol. I have not LS swapped my s40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I might get a quote for one. That awd really has my options limited.

exactly! it's very limited and very expensive

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
exactly! it's very limited and very expensive

The AWD DP's are TOO expensive. I will be fabbing up my own in January. No plans to sell a copy but I will post up some results.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The AWD DP's are TOO expensive. I will be fabbing up my own in January. No plans to sell a copy but I will post up some results.
Let me know if you need any measurements from the EST DP- it hasn't been installed yet.

I also think the DP is expensive, but after talking with several performance shops in Denver, I was left with the impression that a custom piece would cost as much or more than a pre-fab. However, after seeing the DP in person, I don't think that's necessarily true. Construction is pretty simple- only 2 bends in the DP and one of those is at the end.

$70 for the pipe
$28 for the turbo flange
Can't find an exhaust flange, but figure another ~$28 for that
$120 for a 200 cell cat
$37 for a 6" flex pipe
~$50 for exhaust hangers, gaskets, O2 bungs/spacer, and mounting hardware

Parts alone will cost ~$210-$330 (catted vs catless). Seems the real savings come with the labor costs. If you can weld, great, you saved $300+. If not, savings aren't as high, but still cheaper than buying a prefab.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me know if you need any measurements from the EST DP- it hasn't been installed yet.

I also think the DP is expensive, but after talking with several performance shops in Denver, I was left with the impression that a custom piece would cost as much or more than a pre-fab. However, after seeing the DP in person, I don't think that's necessarily true. Construction is pretty simple- only 2 bends in the DP and one of those is at the end.

$70 for the pipe
$28 for the turbo flange
Can't find an exhaust flange, but figure another ~$28 for that
$120 for a 200 cell cat
$37 for a 6" flex pipe
~$50 for exhaust hangers, gaskets, O2 bungs/spacer, and mounting hardware

Parts alone will cost ~$210-$330 (catted vs catless). Seems the real savings come with the labor costs. If you can weld, great, you saved $300+. If not, savings aren't as high, but still cheaper than buying a prefab.
will this custom DP pass emissions? I know it matters by state. anyone in WA know? lol

·
Registered
513 Posts
Agreed.

My current plan is to get the ebay special FWD DP and modify it....likewise the cat back.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Agreed.

My current plan is to get the ebay special FWD DP and modify it....likewise the cat back.
how would you go by modifying it?

·
Registered
513 Posts
how would you go by modifying it?
Cut it where needed, add pipe, reweld.

I build all my own exhaust/IC piping that way....if I can get a head start using something close like the FWD version, all that much better.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I know at least one person has tried to fit a FWD catback onto an AWD. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?201980-OBX-exhaust-T5-AWD-what-wont-fit
here are some references/pictures of the entire awd exhaust laid out on my garage floor.
i would like to see if you guys could fab up an AWD DP. I may have a turbo flange to sell if anyone would want it... i still have the original DP in my garage.

Full turboback exhaust on the floor assembled as it was in the car: (AWD) 05' T5 Aw55

·
Registered
513 Posts
I know at least one person has tried to fit a FWD catback onto an AWD. http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?201980-OBX-exhaust-T5-AWD-what-wont-fit
here are some references/pictures of the entire awd exhaust laid out on my garage floor.
i would like to see if you guys could fab up an AWD DP. I may have a turbo flange to sell if anyone would want it... i still have the original DP in my garage.
Cool, thanks. I read through that thread earlier....good stuff.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
1 - 20 of 47 Posts