SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm right, but I don't think you're supposed to drill/cut regular rotors. You'll weaken the metal and make it susceptible to warping or even worse, shattering.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well people use CNC machines to drill and slot rotors, I've never seen rotors drilled and slotted after being created. Talk to EST or whatever company it is in Massachusetts. Someone on here recently got rotors from them.
a cnc machine cant "make" a rotor. they are cast.

i think ^ he is right, they are all regular rotors to start with

so my question is how are they turned into drilled and slotted rotors. i feel like i could take a stock rotor and have it at least slotted at a machine shop

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
a cnc machine cant "make" a rotor. they are cast.

i think ^ he is right, they are all regular rotors to start with
I agree that most are just regular rotors that get drilled into. I believe there are some that do cast with holes in them already. It's the actual drilling that weakens the material.

Forget drilled, go dimpled :D

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
evolve has dimpled&slotted rotors that i think are 175 per pair. i think this is the setup im going to go with when i do my brakes some time this year...wait its elevate now isnt it?

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
the "syntax" makes all the difference in this case. if the rotor is cast with the holes in it then it would have normal strength. a rotor that has physically been drilled, will be weaker and prone to cracking.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
the "syntax" makes all the difference in this case. if the rotor is cast with the holes in it then it would have normal strength. a rotor that has physically been drilled, will be weaker and prone to cracking.
I think we're saying the same thing here :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im googling and reading, and it seems that its not the fact if they have been created with holes or drilled, its the fact that there is less surface area and strength regardless bc of the holes.

bc think about it, if they are drilled properly (keeping the rotor cooled from heat stress) how would it weaken the rotor more than a cast one?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
im googling and reading, and it seems that its not the fact if they have been created with holes or drilled, its the fact that there is less surface area and strength regardless bc of the holes.

bc think about it, if they are drilled properly (keeping the rotor cooled from heat stress) how would it weaken the rotor more than a cast one?
I suppose it could be. I would think that drilling would cause physical stress from the process, but I could (and often am) be completely wrong. Been too long since I studied Materials :p

Also, drilling is going to cause heat from the friction, so I'm not sure how you could prevent this.

BTW, do you plan on tracking the car?

·
Registered
5,906 Posts
Haha come ON! We need to support the vendors, without them there is no development. I'm all about saving money... but George has a very special product coming out that proves his commitment to us. If I need the product/had the cash I would be testing it for him right now. If anyone in the area needs anything let me know... he wants a tester.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts