SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't thinking and took a turn around a corner too sharp and went up a curb with my R-Design rims. The gash on the rims is about 4 inches long and I can't stand it.

I'm thinking of changing the look and plasti-dip the wheels to hide it. Has anyone done this with the rubber on? I wonder how the ixion wheels look with it all matte black on a white Volvo R Design.

Another alternative is fix it at a wheel rash repair shop ($100 maybe). Has anyone tried to fix themselves and with a positive result? Do I dare try this myself, only to make it worse? I think plasti dip might be the easiest/cheapest solution, but not sure how it would look. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Kelly

·
Registered
11,936 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
that's not too bad. You can get them refinished. It shouldn"t be too expensive either.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm done it too. I hate the feeling of hearing it and getting out of the car and seeing that "rash." Whatever you do, refurbish, etc.,, don't forget to check that tire to make sure it hasn't suffered any damage.

·
Registered
14,024 Posts
That's really not bad at all. I would just take it to a place and have it repaired.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Happened to me too.....where would you get a wheel repaired?????

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ouch, sorry to hear that :-( I bumped a curb and put a scratch/small line in as well. I guess these rims are just prone to that?

·
Registered
950 Posts
Not really the rim's fault, manufacturers are providing wheel/tire combos that are more of a stretched look. Not sure why. I think we've been scuffing the curbs as usual and are just now noticing it. I'm old school and prefer a bit of muffin top to protect the rims. I actually looked at getting a wider section tire to protect the rims but decided it wasn't worth it on a lease car.

Find your AWR franchisee and drive more carefully.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
In the meantime if the damage shown is all there is, you can refinish that yourself with the tire mounted.

Go to a dealer or order Volvo wheel spray paint (silver bright, forget the code 932?).
When you have the paint you can do one of two things, you can try to sand those scuffs down as well as possible, mask off and dust in the bad area. While not being perfect, it will look a ton better.

If you can do body fill work yourself, do the same but use a skim coat of hard filler, sand down, prime and do the same as above.
If you go that far it would be easier if you dismount or at least break the tire off the bead to have more room and makes the job MUCH easier. Then just refill with air, balancing not necessary.
If you're good, it will barely (or not at all) be noticeable.

Your only other choice is send the wheel out

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
In the meantime if the damage shown is all there is, you can refinish that yourself with the tire mounted.
Go to a dealer or order Volvo wheel spray paint (silver bright, forget the code 932?).
When you have the paint you can do one of two things, you can try to sand those scuffs down as well as possible, mask off and dust in the bad area. While not being perfect, it will look a ton better.

If you can do body fill work yourself, do the same but use a skim coat of hard filler, sand down, prime and do the same as above.
If you go that far it would be easier if you dismount or at least break the tire off the bead to have more room and makes the job MUCH easier. Then just refill with air, balancing not necessary.
If you're good, it will barely (or not at all) be noticeable.
Your only other choice is send the wheel out
Many thanks.........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts