SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late last year, I damaged my S90's rear driver side wheel in a parking garage, causing some pretty visible curb rash. I have coverage for this through the Volvo Protection Plus plan I got when I leased the car at Volvo of Manhattan.

When the damage occurred, I took it to the dealer for them to fix, per the coverage I have. They sent the car to a third party repair facility, and upon the return of my car, it was quite apparent that they botched the repair. I have the 19' Matt Tech Diamond Cut wheels, and the factory finish is a matte, unpolished appearance. After the repair, that one rim now has a glossy and shiny finish that is visibly different than the other wheels on the car. I called my SA to mention my displeasure and requested to get it fixed at the time, last year, but never got a call back despite assurances it would be fixed. Long story short, work and life got in the way so I didn't have the time to follow up until now.

My car is currently at the dealer, but I am concerned that I am going to get the run around. Has anyone had a similar issue with their car and if so, how was your situation resolved?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Bring it up again, make sure you tell them about what happened last vist and the lack of follow-up. The The service department and wheel repair company should rectify the situatuon. Ask for a specific timeframe and clearly tell them what is wrong. There is zero excuse for a wheel to come back with a finish that does not match oem. Speak to the service manager if you have to, but, it's something that the service advisor should have the power to correct.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got a call back, and they said they will refinish the wheel.

Volvo Manhattan just got bought by Manhattan Motorcars, which also sells Lamborghini, Rolls Royce, Porsche, Bugatti, Koenigsegg, and Bentley. So hoping for that level of service!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Two things conspire against 20" rims on these cars. Weak curb protection lip from the Pirelli's, and what appears to be a super soft material for the wheel. I've curbed all but one of my wheels in 1.5 years and with the raw finish, I doubt they could bring it back to that factory beauty.

Amazing how I owned a Lexus GS for 3 years and never curbed it once. Dealer did, got both of the passenger side wheels during service, but they fixed them and refinished in a transparent graphite. These wheels feel like bad luck, or maybe the car is bigger than I expect.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: Volvo of Manhattan made it right and repaired the wheel at no charge. It looks perfect now.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Interesting that they went through the time and effort to get a 3rd party to repair it, rather than just order a new wheel and be done with it.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Interesting that they went through the time and effort to get a 3rd party to repair it, rather than just order a new wheel and be done with it.
Maybe they did ;)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Maybe they did ;)
Possible, but I doubt it. My dealer wanted Volvo to replace one of my wheels under the Volvo wheel plan because they could not match the paint color. Volvo refused because there was no structural damage. I ended up not doing the repair because it was the lesser of two evils.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Possible, but I doubt it. My dealer wanted Volvo to replace one of my wheels under the Volvo wheel plan because they could not match the paint color. Volvo refused because there was no structural damage. I ended up not doing the repair because it was the lesser of two evils.
Got ya :)

·
Registered
911 Posts
So, someone can jump in and correct me if I'm wrong about it, but I believe the add-ons like the wheel protection plan are offerings administered by dealers and signed off on by Volvo. In other words, it's a perk that Volvo allows its dealers to sell and profit off of, with the blessing of corporate. A wheel failing structurally would, depending on the situation, already be covered under the warranty that comes with the car.

So....it sounds like your dealer tried to make that warranty claim, and of course Volvo denied it, and then your dealer didn't hold up their part of the wheel protection plan you paid them for, because they don't want to pay out (by having to buy you a new wheel at their cost). You know...the usual dealer shenanigans.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Within the first few weeks I owned my car two tires were destroyed by "road hazards" that pierced the sidewalls. They were replaced under the Volvo wheel and tire (and windshield and upholstery damage) add -on warranty by a local tire dealer working with a third party insurer contracted with Volvo. The policy document provides the phone number to call for tire issues. I also had a windshield replaced by the dealer. For me, the optional coverage has been money well spent.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts