SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to swap out the little light in the cup holder to a brighter bulb?

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
What the **** is that light anyway

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I'm sure if you just pull the console out you'll see what kinda bulb it is :D

1. Remove the small panel w/ the pen holder directly in front of the gearshift (you should also move the gearshift into 'D', it makes this a bit easier. You will see 4 torx screws, remove the lower ones on each side of the console (the upper screws fasten the ECC).

2. Remove the panel around the gearshift. There are 2 clips in front of the gearshift, if memory serves. Once you free up this small panel look on the underside of it. There are 4-6 more clips that hold the leather (pleather?)fabric to the larger panel. Unfasten them and separate.

3. Along the side of the console, you will see a long, narrow panel (about 4" wide) running from just behind the seats up under the dashboard. These can be easily identified by coin locks towards the rear of the panels. Unlock them with a coin and slide the panel towards the front of the car. Do this on both sides of course.

4. Open the storage compartment at the back of the console. Remove the coin holder. Using a screwdriver (or whatever) pry the plastic lining off at the FRONT of the storage compartment (it will pop right out). You will see 2 torx screws fastening the console in at the rear, remove these.

5. The console will be loose at this point but will still be fastened by the parking brake cover. The cover can be removed by releasing clips from underneath the console in the same way you removed the leather gearshift fabric frame.

I tried to then remove the entire console but after 15 mins of trying to get the parking brake fabric frame through the hole without any luck I just removed the cupholder assembly from underneath with the console loosely in place. Maybe you can figure out another way to get it off.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
It's a 3mm LED IIRC. I've replaced them with white in two of my cars thus far. You can either do that (a different LED will have a different output most likely), or you can put in a resistor with a smaller impedance as well.

You can get to it all without pulling the entire console, you just need to pull the e-brake cover (at least on 05+'s).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a 3mm LED IIRC. I've replaced them with white in two of my cars thus far. You can either do that (a different LED will have a different output most likely), or you can put in a resistor with a smaller impedance as well.

You can get to it all without pulling the entire console, you just need to pull the e-brake cover (at least on 05+'s).
Thanks Adam! I just want to put a brighter green on in? Any advice where to get?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Pull out the existing resistor and put in another one with a lower impedance rating. I'm not sure what the one that's in there is rated at, but Radioshack should be able to help.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What if I just wanted to swap out bulbs. Not so good here with puling out small electronics.

·
Registered
429 Posts
These guys have tons of LED's: http://www.superbrightleds.com/ or eBay. Funny to buy just 1 tiny bulb though! Buy a bunch, install and do a write-up, and I'm sure folks here would buy the extra ones you have. I'd take one. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am gonna buy a whole bunch of the cool white 3mm LEDs.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Wtf is this light for

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
mood lighting for when you secretly massage the leather in the R when no one is looking.
Or when they are looking but you have dark tint so it doesn't matter ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just ordered 5. When I get them I'll attempt a quick write up.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So i got to that first picture, and where the bulb looks like it is crimped, i could not pull the bulb out? Suggestions?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
It is crimped on. It needs to be loosened (I used pliers) then swapped over. You can reattach any number of different ways, but I just re-crimped.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts