SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody but me that has thought the idea of having the crystal gear knob fitted to their non T8 cars? Would love to have that center piece.

Not sure if it is even possible...

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I think someone in China will eventually sell a crystal wrap that replaces the plastic part on T6 gear knob, maybe from the guy selling S90/V90 models.

Sent from my SD4930UR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anybody but me that has thought the idea of having the crystal gear knob fitted to their non T8 cars? Would love to have that center piece.

Not sure if it is even possible...
I believe its not possible as the entire gear assembly is different. T8 is a shift by wire system and the T6 has a more traditional setup

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
I believe its not possible as the entire gear assembly is different. T8 is a shift by wire system and the T6 has a more traditional setup
But T8 in North America R-Design has leather shift knob not crystal, is that mean gear assembly is different??

·
Registered
496 Posts
The basic differences are all mentioned. Other details are the higher tunnel at the 2nd row, and the smaller storage compartment under the floor of the cargo area. The T8 can only be combined with a limited number of rims.

@Brutus99
The T8 has a shift-by-wire system with a complete different shift lever assembly compared to all other XC90's. All T8's come with the crystal gear selector. It's part of the T8-base no matter you select Momentum, Inscription or R-design trim-level. The T8 selector has some kind of joystick tactile switch movement comparable with a BMW selector. The other XC90's do have a conventional shift movement.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
@Brutus99
The T8 has a shift-by-wire system with a complete different shift lever assembly compared to all other XC90's. All T8's come with the crystal gear selector. It's part of the T8-base no matter you select Momentum, Inscription or R-design trim-level. The T8 selector has some kind of joystick tactile switch movement comparable with a BMW selector. The other XC90's do have a conventional shift movement.
Thanks for the info! Great to hear, crystal knob looks funky!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Its doable, just the same way people who drove E60 5 series BMW were able to retrofit the current BMW E selector onto their mechanical units. Again probably a PITA but it can be done to just replicate the crystal knob.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Are we all 100% certain that the non-T8 uses a conventional shift system and not a shift by wire? I know the T8 one would be more advance, but it find it odd that Volvo would use a conventional system when most vehicles are being (shifted -lol) to electronic systems. Yes the non-T8 models look like it’s a conventional system with the leather boot, but that doesn’t mean it is the old-style shifter, it may still be electronic.
In which case, it would be possible if Volvo would do the programming for it once installed (which I doubt, or it would invalidate the warranty).
If this is possible to change it to the crystal shifter I would do it in a second. I’m awaiting delivery of my ‘19 XC90 T6.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Are we all 100% certain that the non-T8 uses a conventional shift system and not a shift by wire? I know the T8 one would be more advance, but it find it odd that Volvo would use a conventional system when most vehicles are being (shifted -lol) to electronic systems. Yes the non-T8 models look like it’s a conventional system with the leather boot, but that doesn’t mean it is the old-style shifter, it may still be electronic.
In which case, it would be possible if Volvo would do the programming for it once installed (which I doubt, or it would invalidate the warranty).
If this is possible to change it to the crystal shifter I would do it in a second. I’m awaiting delivery of my ‘19 XC90 T6.
Yeah, we're 100% certain

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you've test driven one, you'd easily notice that T6 is mechanical. It still has traditional notches/indents for reverse, neutral and drive as well as the manual gate. Nothing like electronic shifters where you push a button for park and the selection is much different. But I do agree that it's a little strange it's mechanical when just about every new car comes with an electronic shifter.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah! Exactly. Oh well lol
Thanks!
If you've test driven one, you'd easily notice that T6 is mechanical. It still has traditional notches/indents for reverse, neutral and drive as well as the manual gate. Nothing like electronic shifters where you push a button for park and the selection is much different. But I do agree that it's a little strange it's mechanical when just about every new car comes with an electronic shifter.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Yeah! Exactly. Oh well lol
Thanks!
If it makes you feel better, the XC40 does use the shift by wire for all engines =) I expect the reasoning for only the T8 having it on most models, and the XC40 having it on all, is space savings? Since that center tunnel is where the extra hybrid battery is there's need to conserve space for the T8s, and the XC40 in general has a lot more going on in that area, so needed to save space in all models.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts