SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My door mirrors are in need of lubrication... they sound quite gnarly when folding in/out and when moving while backing out. Are there any lubrication points/procedures or should I just have the dealer do it?

·
Registered
735 Posts
They definitely whine a bit just as they are. Can you post a video with sound? It might just be their normal noise.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My mirrors doing the same, I'm thinking of spraying WD40 on the mechanism, I'm not taking the mirror apart or anything, I will just spary it around (behind the mirror glass)and soak it!

·
Registered
735 Posts
My mirrors doing the same, I'm thinking of spraying WD40 on the mechanism, I'm not taking the mirror apart or anything, I will just spary it around (behind the mirror glass)and soak it!
The problem with WD-40 is that it's not a long term lubricant. Technically, it's not really a lubricant at all, it's a solvent and rust dissolver. What you'll end up doing is washing away the thicker grease and dry out the gears in the long run. It'll seem better right now, but long term you should not use WD-40 to lubricate the assembly.

If you really need to lubricate the assembly, you'll want to use something like lithium grease that will stay in place for a long time. I've had good luck with motorcycle chain lube as well.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts