SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had their cruise control just stop working with no other symptoms or issues? Any suggestions on where to look? It turns the "cruise" indicator on, but won't set.

Thanks

2004 Volvo S60R Automatic

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anyone had their cruise control just stop working with no other symptoms or issues? Any suggestions on where to look? It turns the "cruise" indicator on, but won't set.

Thanks

2004 Volvo S60R Automatic
Check your brake pedal position sensor, aka look for illuminated brake lights when driving, have someone follow you. I had that cause my cruise control to not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't know if it might be related to the throttle body issue you have expressed in your other posts, but for sure if its the brake pedal sensor it will disable the cruise control. The brake pedal sensor is a cylinder mounted on the brake booster to the left of the master cylinder. It detects whether the brake pedal is being pressed or not. If it is not working, it will set both a BCM and and ECM code.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I don't know if it might be related to the throttle body issue you have expressed in your other posts, but for sure if its the brake pedal sensor it will disable the cruise control. The brake pedal sensor is a cylinder mounted on the brake booster to the left of the master cylinder. It detects whether the brake pedal is being pressed or not. If it is not working, it will set both a BCM and and ECM code.
Ok, Ill check it out with VIDA and see what codes are stored.

I would be surprised if it was TB related as that has been going on for a while with no problem with the cruise control.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My XC70 which I'm selling has never had the cruise control working, no light on dash, no codes in Vida, no idea why....

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
This may work. My mechanic did this on my 94 945Ti when the cruise stopped working. Take the hose off the vacuum on cruise control module and use vacuum suction on the hose. It seemed to reset the module. Release pressure then hook it back up. I don’t know the schematic of our R but it may be similar unless ours is electronic then all bets are off.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Check your brake pedal position sensor, aka look for illuminated brake lights when driving, have someone follow you. I had that cause my cruise control to not work.

I had similar issue that I was change brakelight to led. After I changed back the cruise working again.

Sent from my BBF100-6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I heard the clutch position sensor can also kill cruise control. M66?
OP said it was auto, but on a manual car you'd be correct.

I'd use Vida to look at what Vida is saying for switch positions on the brake, the parking brake etc. I'd also use it to look at the steering wheel pushbuttons and make sure that their signal is getting through. Could be clockspring in wheel causing a problem.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
yeap, i had the same problem, just stop working like alexk243 said.

Just put a new clutch position sensor, resolved!

·
Registered
196 Posts
yeap, i had the same problem, just stop working like alexk243 said.

Just put a new clutch position sensor, resolved!
Yep, I had the same problem on my T5M, took apart the clutch pedal sensor, cleaned it, rebent the contact pins and I had working cruise control for a whole $0.00

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
OP said it was auto, but on a manual car you'd be correct.

I'd use Vida to look at what Vida is saying for switch positions on the brake, the parking brake etc. I'd also use it to look at the steering wheel pushbuttons and make sure that their signal is getting through. Could be clockspring in wheel causing a problem.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk
Parking brake being engaged will not disable cruise control

·
Registered
5,980 Posts
These are the typical symptoms of a failing brake position sensor. It needs to be replaced. It's located on the brake booster. There are at least two different variants depending on whether you have STC or DSTC. Get the correct version.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts