SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On our cruise control, the speed change increments are locked in at 5MPH. So, for example, I have the speed set at 60, I press the "+" button, and it bumps it to 65. The manual states that it should increment by +1 MPH. I've read through the manual and it gives no indication of the ability to modify the increment amounts. Anyone familiar with this?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I noticed that too. Though you can set the cruise at any speed (63), but when you hit the increase button it goes up by 5

·
Registered
295 Posts
You have to long-hold to increase it by 1mph.

Which makes more sense to me, because I can't imagine where it would be more convenient to have the button do 1 instead of 5. Especially on the highway.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You have to long-hold to increase it by 1mph.

Which makes more sense to me, because I can't imagine where it would be more convenient to have the button do 1 instead of 5. Especially on the highway.
Thanks for the response. I usually like to cruise at 7MPH over speed limit on the open road. On my lesser marque car, I can do a short push for 1 MPH or a long push for 5 MPH, which seems more intuitive to me. But, hey, as long as I know how the game is played that's all I need.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I think this is a non-issue. One punch moves the speed up or down 5 mph, holding the button down moves the speed up or down 1 mph at a reasonable. This has worked great for me and, in this case, Volvo has it right.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Paradox brought this up a while back. For anyone who has Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) it increment in +/- 5 MPH with a quick press, as the manual states, and you can accomplish +/1 1 MPH if you hold it down instead. Contrary to what the manual implies, your car either has full ACC or standard Cruise Control. If you have standard CC, it does work in 1 MPH increments.

I was skeptical of the +/- 5 MPH when I first got it but have come to love it. With ACC you use cruise control under far more circumstances than you would standard CC. You can use it on virtually any road since it can even come to a full stop and start for you as long as there is someone in front of you. Therefore once I have my speed set, I find myself frequently needing to adjust to the roads changing speed limit, which is always in some multiple of 5 -- 25, 35, 50, etc. Having done a road trip in New York state recently, I can't tell you how many times those country highways go from 55 to a gradual reduction of 40, 35, 25 to go through small towns and then back up to 50 or 55. With the +/- 5 PHM, this was extremely easy to do with 1-3 clicks depending on the speed change. So I started as a skeptic but came to love it.

BTW, it's even smart enough to not go +/- 5 MPH on the first click if you are not starting on a multiple of 5 -- it jumps to the nearest multiple of 5 instead. So if you started at 43 MPH the first click up would go to 45, then to 50, etc... And I have found it very easy to do increments of +/- 1 MPH by holding it down -- it doesn't increment so quickly that you miss your desired speed.

If my car offered standard CC I would still want it changing +/- 1 MPH because I would be using it to gradually adjust to the speed of the traffic in front of me. But that's unnecessary with ACC since the car adjusts for you.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Thanks for clearing this up for me as well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Paradox brought this up a while back. For anyone who has Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) it increment in +/- 5 MPH with a quick press, as the manual states, and you can accomplish +/1 1 MPH if you hold it down instead. Contrary to what the manual implies, your car either has full ACC or standard Cruise Control. If you have standard CC, it does work in 1 MPH increments.

I was skeptical of the +/- 5 MPH when I first got it but have come to love it. With ACC you use cruise control under far more circumstances than you would standard CC. You can use it on virtually any road since it can even come to a full stop and start for you as long as there is someone in front of you. Therefore once I have my speed set, I find myself frequently needing to adjust to the roads changing speed limit, which is always in some multiple of 5 -- 25, 35, 50, etc. Having done a road trip in New York state recently, I can't tell you how many times those country highways go from 55 to a gradual reduction of 40, 35, 25 to go through small towns and then back up to 50 or 55. With the +/- 5 PHM, this was extremely easy to do with 1-3 clicks depending on the speed change. So I started as a skeptic but came to love it.

BTW, it's even smart enough to not go +/- 5 MPH on the first click if you are not starting on a multiple of 5 -- it jumps to the nearest multiple of 5 instead. So if you started at 43 MPH the first click up would go to 45, then to 50, etc... And I have found it very easy to do increments of +/- 1 MPH by holding it down -- it doesn't increment so quickly that you miss your desired speed.

If my car offered standard CC I would still want it changing +/- 1 MPH because I would be using it to gradually adjust to the speed of the traffic in front of me. But that's unnecessary with ACC since the car adjusts for you.
Best clarification and real use explanation. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
My current car Adaptive Cruise increments in +/- 1 mph increments and if you press/hold then it's 5. Personally this makes more sense to me, quick hit, 1, longer hit 5. Just seems natural.

What next? Press the volume once, and it jumps 10 but then press hold to only raise the volume a little? Or maybe the temp should jump a lot with a quick press? Using the logic in the earlier posts, how many people really adjust their temp or volume just a very tiny bit versus a larger amount?

Until this post, I never thought to myself if the default should be 5. Why would somebody want a shorter press to be a bigger number?

I don't know, maybe this is just one of those things that is 50/50. They can easily solve it for those that prefer the default to be 1 with a driver system setting and then EVERYBODY can be happy and get what they want.

Out of curiosity, I googled other brands. Keep in mind, there could be differences within models, I just went to whatever google result came first. BMW 328 default is 1, then 5 (using detents). Audi A7 is 1, 2.5, and press/hold for 5. Mercedes GL is like BMW, using detents with default being 1, and past detent is 5. Acura MDX default is also 1mph with press/hold for 5. Does anybody know of another brand that defaults to 5 with a quick press?

Seems this is another area where Volvo is the odd one out and just prefers to be different than what people will expect. More volvo quirkiness.

I personally wish they would add a driver setting for speed limiter offset (default would be 0) so that the cruise just reads the signs and drives at that speed plus my offset.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I agree with pattyweb on this one. It's more intuitive for shorter presses to go +/- 1 and longer for 5. Just something I may have to get used to I guess.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You have to use it with the 5 mph increments to understand maybe. In actual use it really seems more intuitive to use the 5 mph increments for the reasons citivas explains above. If not intuitive at first it does become intuitive as you get used to the whole system. Which is a short learning curve. One aspect I like that hasn't been discussed a lot is you can toggle back and forth between acc and pilot assist without even changing settings. Just press the left button on the steering wheel. So taking citivas example as a starting point: you can be driving with acc set to 60 through winding country roads, enter a 35 mph town and dial it down with 4 or 5 clicks then if there is a traffic situation just a quick left click to enter pilot assist. Pilot will take you through the traffic and on up to 30mph where a simple right click takes you back into acc. I've done this seamlessly and it's really nice.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I see your point. I might get to like the 5mph increments once I start using it.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Who by DEFAULT wants to limit their driving to multiples of 5? Who drives exactly the speed limit? I'll bet a lot of people set their cruise some increment over. Now by DEFAULT, the next two increments over are 5 and 10. My habit is usually 3 or 4 over. Why would I want it rounding off my choice to the next multiple of 5 if I press the button quickly? Now a single quick button press is inconsistent . 1st press I jump 1 or 2, then I jump 5? I've never heard of a system rounding the speed to a multiple of 5. I personally think this is not intuitive. Seems like with this design, one by DEFAULT is forced to drive the speed limit or jump to 5 over the limit or start spending more time holding down the button longer.

Why would somebody want it to be different between regular non-ac cruise and ac? Imagine owning any other car or even a non AC Volvo and you drive the two routinely. Now you have to learn to adapt to each car. Not an issue with other brands as they stuck with the intuitive natural design that people are use too.

I get the examples of 60 going down to 45 or 30, but, ... just press the button a little longer! Some of these are even fringe cases where yes, mulitples of 5 work better, but then, LOL, you would just press AND HOLD THE BUTTON DOWN!! LOL. Don't forget that all systems still offer 5 by pressing and holding or pushing/scrolling past a detent.

It just seems to me Volvo has made this awkward by default.

Keep in mind, this conversation is about the DEFAULT (quick press) increment. Every system offers 1 and 5 mph increments.

They could solve this for everybody by offering a customizable driver setting like: AC Default Speed Inc = Normal or Quirky.

What other purpose is rounding to a multiple of 5 serve except to drive the exact speed limit or jump to 5 over the limit? Since when have people worried about exactly being on a multiple of 5? Who cruises at exactly the speed limit?

I have NO DOUBT that if Volvo had just left it normal like everybody else that NOBODY would have posted "I wish the default was 5".

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I agree +-1 is more intuitive than 5 by quick press. Press and hold should be 5 and fast scroll. Every clock alarm works this way.

Meanwhile I don't see +-1 is quite useful with ACC, as you don't need to set the speed precisely to maintain distance from the car in front. I'd like single click to +-3 (or +-2 to be more comfortable), then I don't need to click multiple times. Press&hold rounds up to 5, to easily match the speed limit, or 5+limit. Don't try to play trick like cruise at 8+limit and hope not get caught. Speed under cruise control is not accurate anyway, especially when go uphill and downhill. Well you can still do limite+5+5-3. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Who by DEFAULT wants to limit their driving to multiples of 5? Who drives exactly the speed limit? I'll bet a lot of people set their cruise some increment over. Now by DEFAULT, the next two increments over are 5 and 10. My habit is usually 3 or 4 over.
Have you considered whether people are under or over, they're not really concerned with a very particular digit? I know myself and others only care about a "rough estimate", and both 5/10 satisfy that parameter. On the highway especially where ACC is most utilized, anything under 5mph is negligible.

I have NO DOUBT that if Volvo had just left it normal like everybody else that NOBODY would have posted "I wish the default was 5".
Sure, but I certainly appreciate the alternation nonetheless. Not everyone has the foresight to come up with features most appropriate for their needs. Henry Ford once said: "If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses."

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Again, to each their own. But I went in quite annoyed with the +/- 5 as non-intuative and now am quite satisfied with it after my real world use. I went for periods of a couple hours at a time never having to drop out of ACC mode but having to adjust the speed dozens of times to the changing speed limits, which always changed in increments of 5 MPH. I could make those changes extremely quickly and precisely just by counting my clicks without having to even distract myself to look at the display. If I had had to hold down and carefully watch it gradually do 5 at a time and watch to make sure I didn't over-shoot when changing it from 50 to 35, it would have been more work and distracting, as would have clicking it 15 times instead of 3. With regular CC I was often adjusting just 1 MPH at a time to slow down a little or speed up. But with ACC, once I set my speed I left it alone and let the car do the work of pacing itself behind the traffic in front of me so most of the speed changes were to adjust to the change in the limits. On non-highways it's easy enough to just settle for +5 MPH whatever the posted limit was. For highway stretches if I want to end up at +7 MPH, I can set that once and forget it. I feel like Volvo in the end made the more frequent activity the one with the easier action. And I say that as someone who would have argued otherwise before I used it. In fact, I think when Paradox very first posted about it, I agreed it was annoying. But that was before I used it much.

Again, to each their own.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I can't think of any places where I would have adaptive on where the speed limit jumps up or down 15 mph in one single change. Only place I can think of right now where the speed limit drops drastically is an exit ramp, but then I would think one should be getting ready to brake!

If that happens to be your situation and you routinely have a section of road that jumps by 15mph between two signs, then I can understand why this works for you. I would not think that that is the norm. I guess the press/hold for 5 has never bothered me because I only do it once at a time as the speed limit only changes by 5 mph!

I agree to each his own, which is why I think it would be nice if Volvo made this configurable instead of forcing the change on everybody. No other cars appear to do this.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just used the ACC on a 1000 mile trip and I actually like the way you tap the button for 5 MPH and hold the button for a slow roll through 1 mph increases or decreases. I felt it gave me more control of my driving experienece

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I'll just say one more time that until you've used the system for a real length of time, you should reserve judgement. Who would want it to be in 5mph increments? Me for one, after using it this way.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts