SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago, my cruise control quit working ('02 V70 T5M, ~175K miles). Nothing else stopped working at the same time, only the cruise. When I press the "Cruise" button, the light comes on in the instrument cluster, but none of the other buttons respond.

The only thing I can think of is that a little water got splashed on the steering wheel right before it quit working. I mean only splashed, not drenched--maybe 15-20 drops per square foot. I don't think any of them got into the buttons, but I can't rule it out. Anything I should be aware of when removing the airbag besides disconnecting the battery?

Anyone have any other ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi
Just keep on mind not to connect ignition or battery before you have connect airbag again. Otherwise you'll get SRS malfunction light on :)
My wild quess is that your broblem is not in those switches. If you have opportunity to read DTC's my bet is that there is a code of misinformation from break pedal accelerate sensor (I not quite sure did I get that sensor's name exactly right).

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Yeah, brake pedal position sensor, or clutch position sensor will both kill your cruise. When my clutch sensor conked out, I found that the cruise would work right after I started the car, but would shut off within a few seconds. Oh, and my clutch sensor was killed by a leaking clutch master cylinder, so I had to replace it twice, the new one got killed immediately by brake (clutch) fluid. So if it's the clutch switch, and it's wet, don't even bother replacing it until the cylinder is replaced. The clutch switch will also keep the starter from engaging once it gets bad enough. I had to push start mine a couple times while I waited for my new cylinder in the mail. That was lame.

And Masked Jackal is right, if it's either of those switches causing the problem, there will be a code stored for it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, guys!
One quick question--if the cruise is disabled for any of the reasons you mentioned, will the "cruise" light on the dash still be lit, or will it turn off when the cruise becomes disabled. Mine stays on until i hit the button again.
And with this being my DD and the nearest Volvo dealer about 90miles away, I don't have any way to read the Volvo-specific codes. I had to swap the gauge cluster out a while back, and never had the computer reset, so I have the dreaded SRS malfunction light on already :-(

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So I finally got to the parts store to scan the codes, and the relevant one I got (besides a misfire for a bad coil) is P0805 Clutch Position Sensor Circuit. I haven't gotten a chance to actually test the switch, but this looks like the smoking gun to me. Hopefully it's not wet...

There was also a P0072 Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Low Input code thrown. Would this be part of the problem, or what effects will this have on the car? I remember the guy I bought the car from saying something about this sensor being mounted in one of the rearview mirror housings, and that he had to clean it ever so often. Does this sound plausible? if not, is it just as simple as replacing the sensor?

Thanks for the great input guys, by the way!!

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
You can actually remove the clutch switch without disassembling anything on the car, just by reaching up there. You kinda have to know what you're doing, but the plug is fairly easy to disconnect and then it just unsnaps from two ball sockets, one at each end. You can at least reach up there to feel it for wetness, just follow the clutch pedal up. It's a slider attached to the pedal arm on one end and the firewall on the other.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yep, that's pretty classic, clutch switch. Mine was the Brake Pressure Sensor dying, which I fixed, then it finally gave up another year later, so I replaced it. I have the Clutch Master for your car, in fact, if you need one. I accidentally ordered two from Tasca when I placed that order, so drop me a PM if you want to buy my spare, too. =) Might save you a few bucks!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Clutch switch=removed. Status=wet. bricked, YHPM.

Thanks again for helping me nail this down, guys.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
The master cylinder is a pretty serious bitch to change, but you'll need the switch to start the car. So put it back in and get the cylinder swapped ASAP before the switch is so bad it fails to start. And glad we could help, although it'd be nicer if the cylinders didn't leak in the first place.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update: swapped the new mc in, but didn't bench bleed it first. Guess who had to do it twice? >:|
Very easy to bench bleed: cut the top 1/3 off a big bottle of brake fluid; immerse mc and pump until bubbles disappear.
Cruise still doesn't work even after disassembling and cleaning the switch, but at least it still runs.

Don't suppose anyone here has a good clutch switch?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
They're only like $50 from tasca volvo, order online. I had no luck cleaning mine either.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts