SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today, I wanted to see how the plugs were doing after ~10k miles on my V70 2.5T... cylinder 5 isn’t looking too good. The plugs are in order in the pics... cylinder 5 (the crud) to cylinder 1. Any ideas? PCV was done @ 99k, currently @ 132k, and passes glove test. Car consumes a few quarts of oil every ~2k miles. In the past, local indy suggested using liqui-moly 5w40. I had been using Castrol Edge 0w40.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,694 Posts
Looks like its running rich.

Youre also using non recommended plugs. These 5 cylinder turbo cars are super picky about plug choice. Volvo or Bosch FR7DPP+

·
Registered
296 Posts
4 look pretty normal. 1st looks wet fouled. Any oil in plug well? Running any fuel additives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
296 Posts
Fuel additives and oil consumption can cause the light grey ashy look. Which could be rings etc. possibly valve cover gasket if there is oil in the plug well.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Looks like #1 is having the oil consumption. If you are going through multiple quarts of oil in 2K miles, I would consider that excessive. Could be a valve seal. If PCV was properly done and all block passages and oil pan were cleaned out, I would look into the valve seals. Piston rings are more common on newer cars and not this block but still can be a possible issue. But the PCV vacuum supply fitting is right under the intake infront of #1 cylinder and if the block, oil pan, or oil separator passages are clogged, you will sometimes see this type of scenario. You're in Concord, where was the PCV done?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like its running rich.

Youre also using non recommended plugs. These 5 cylinder turbo cars are super picky about plug choice. Volvo or Bosch FR7DPP+
How do I address/test if it’s running rich? I’ll pick up new plugs, seems like there is much debate amongst members on plugs... I’m certainly no expert, so I’ll go back to oem.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
4 look pretty normal. 1st looks wet fouled. Any oil in plug well? Running any fuel additives?

No oil in well and no additives.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like #1 is having the oil consumption. If you are going through multiple quarts of oil in 2K miles, I would consider that excessive. Could be a valve seal. If PCV was properly done and all block passages and oil pan were cleaned out, I would look into the valve seals. Piston rings are more common on newer cars and not this block but still can be a possible issue. But the PCV vacuum supply fitting is right under the intake infront of #1 cylinder and if the block, oil pan, or oil separator passages are clogged, you will sometimes see this type of scenario. You're in Concord, where was the PCV done?
The pic goes from 5 (left) to 1 (right). Do I check valve seals via a compression test? The pcv was done at Carolina Volvo in Bluffton, SC by previous owner.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, the car idles/runs fine. The oil consumption is greatest when I’m a little harder on the gas pedal.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The pic goes from 5 (left) to 1 (right). Do I check valve seals via a compression test? The pcv was done at Carolina Volvo in Bluffton, SC by previous owner.
Leaking valve seals can be inspected with a good bore scope and someone knowing what to look for. A compression test may help identify a weak cylinder. The other 4 plugs don't look too bad but for 10K miles on plugs, cyl 5 is not well. Doesn't appear its running rich on those 4. You could have a leaking injector or one just letting in a bit extra fuel into that cylinder but the fact you didn't mention misfire, CEL or drivability issues, I would look into that #5 and see whats doing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I concur

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
One thing to consider ad this may not have a drastic affect but what I am seeing fron manufactures is the are reducing viscosity to help with oil consumption, We were instructed recently to start using 0W-20 in all 2019 and 2020. Which is slightly thinner than the 5W30 or 5w40. Reason being, the thinner oil is easier for he piston ring to scrape off so that less residual oil is left in the bore durin the power/burn stroke. I will say this, I use 5w40 Liqui Moly in both my Volvo's (Hot Summer Heat SILL!!!). My T6 Si6 was using Approx 1/2qt per scheduled LOF. I pulled and changed my spark plugs which were only a year old and they had slight carbon an white ash buildup. Not bad but there. Certain Si6 engines had bad pston designs ad were and still are replaced for oil consumption. Newer VEP enines (4cyl) have also had some issues with 2014-2016 piston rings and psitons themselves. And the the dreaded 2012 S60 T5. Many many many received piston ring replaccement and about 10% of those after piston ring repalcement, than had there engines replace do to oil consumption. My 2014 S60 T5 is also consuming oil just as I've seen on MANY 2012 and 2013 T5 models. My wifes T5 with 145K on the clock was consuming about a qt ever 300 miles. Swithed fron Castrol Edge 5w-30 to LM 5w40 and have seen consumption drop to 800-1000 miles before it low. You block wasnt know for that type of consumption but it only takes one extended oil service that can cause lot of where, especially of the 12's as they were usuing conventional blend before there was a recall to change the oil to the afaull Syn Castrol Edge. Tyring 5w-40 will not hurt you engine as its also recommend in hot climates like Charlotte. If that doesn't slow it down you may try he 0w20 that we are now using on any engine that ha has piston and or rings. Stuff is almost $10 a quart vs the Liqui Moly which is $37.99 on amazon for a 5L jug. I just get 2 jugs and use the left over as my top off every month. May try some new OE plugs and oil just to see if there is any improvement.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info. I hooked it up to my vida/dice and no relevant codes nor misfires reported. I’ll likely bring it into the indy shop to check out cylinder 5.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If it smells like fuel could be vacuum leak or leaking injector. Smells of oil, you know the rest. Since you’re using quite a bit of oil, more than likely rings, valve guide seals, valve cover gasket etc. bore scope, compression test will help to determine the cause.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did compression test... cylinders 1-3 @150psi, 4 @140psi and 5 @130psi. After further inspection, there was a little fresh oil where plug seats into cylinder 5. FWIW, if anyone else ends up racking their brain looking for the fuel pump relay on vida/internet ... there isn’t one. I pulled the fuel pump fuse in the engine bay.

Also, picked up a loaner borescope from autozone. Stuck it down 5 to mess around, it’s all black in there. Will inspect with more detail tomorrow. There is a mirror attachment but it doesn’t fit through the hole.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Might be a valve cover gasket. No recent oil changes where oil may have gotten spilled into the well?

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Might be a valve cover gasket. No recent oil changes where oil may have gotten spilled into the well?

Cleaned top of engine yesterday. This was new.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Probably valve cover gasket

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Well, I screwed something up. After I put everything together now experiencing constant misfire cylinders 1 & 4 and ECM-291D fuel pump control module - signal too low. After some googling, it appears it may be lawnmower syndrome but not sure.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Double check there is no pinched coil wiring under the cover. Those cover screws will sometime short out a coil. If that looks ok, I would check and see if any of the plugs are cracked or electrode bent. Those are common issues. If fuel pressure too low it will misfire as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts