SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having this discussion on the S60 Spa forum so I thought I would check over here to see if the system overreacts the same way on your cars. A number of us (plus the Jalopnik reviewer of the V60) have experienced this issue in our cars. As we back up slowly, if the CTA system "sees" a vehicle that it projects will cross your path, instead of only beeping a warning the auto brake system will suddenly jam on the brake pedal causing the car to lurch immediately to a stop. That's a nice feature...when there is a real danger of imminent "collision". However what we are experiencing is that the auto brake intervenes even when the vehicle is well out of range (>15-20 ft) and the car is only backing a 1-2 mph. Jamming the pedal so hard it locks up the brakes is WAY more force than needed and is enough to spill a drink or give your passengers a mild whiplash effect...that they weren't expecting!

Is anyone here seeing this same behavior and has anyone discovered whether it's possible to adjust the distance sensitivity of the auto brake the way you can for the head on collision auto brake intervention (early, normal, late)?

·
Registered
151 Posts
bigtree,

I am not sure, but I think the Auto-Braking is a result of the City Safety system, not Cross Traffic Alert. Alert is just a audible sound and dash visual icon. And I have not experienced the severe braking you have experienced.

From the 2018 XC60 (US) owners manual:

Setting a warning distance for City
Safety

City Safety is always active, but the function's
warning distance can be adjusted.

NOTE
The City Safety function cannot be deactivated.
It is activated automatically each time
the engine/electric motor is started.

The alert distance determines the sensitivity of
the system and regulates the distance at which
the light, sound and brake pulsations will be activated.

To select warning distance:
1. Select Settings My Car IntelliSafe in
the center display's Top view.
2. Under City Safety Warning, tap Late,
Normal or Early to set the desired warning
distance.

If the driver feels that the Early setting is giving
too many warnings or finds them irritating, the
Normal or Late warning distance settings can
be selected instead.
If the driver feels that the warnings are too frequent
and distracting, the warning distance can
be reduced. This will reduce the total number of
warnings, but it will also result in City Safety providing
warnings at a later stage.
The Late warning distance setting should therefore
only be used in exceptional cases, such as
when a more dynamic driving style is preferred.

So you can set that to less sensitive by choosing LATE. Seems like that would be a good test in your environment.

Cross Traffic Alert can be disabled completely, but does not have sensitivity level options.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. However I'm told by both the service manager and his tech guy that the auto brake function in the CTA system is completely independent of the City Safety. City Safety settings handle forward motion while CTA handles reverse. When I checked the manual in the Sensus system, this is confirmed. There is no way to adjust the sensitivity or to disable auto brake for reverse, even if you turn off the CTA system, per the manual.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Mine has activated in the front a couple of times and in general seems oversensitive... frequently I get the “too close” icon when a car is easily 2 car lengths ahead..

·
Registered
397 Posts
While I don’t drive a SPA Volvo with CTA, my GTI does have have CTA. Just this week, I was slowly reversing out of a parking spot (parallel parked) as a car was driving down the road beside me. The GTI clamped on the brakes very abruptly and scared the crap out of me. The instrument cluster had a message that said something like “Auto-braking activated. Resume control.” I’m paraphrasing the warning because my memory is foggy. It scared the gentlemen seated on a bench near my GTI as well. I’m not sure how I didn’t stall the car (it’s a M/T). This was the first time the auto-braking was triggered in the 12 months I’ve had the GTI.

Again, my experience isn’t with the Volvo CTA system, but it seemed relevant to mention anyway. I think unneeded auto-braking events are just going to be a fact of life for all of us for the next few years until the software gets better and/ or autonomous vehicles become reality.

·
Registered
1 Posts
XC60 2020 Sudden Braking CTA Recall

On March 12 Volvo Car USA issued a recall notice to their network of retailers concerning the Automatic Emergency Brake System (AEB) on most 2019 and 2020 Volvo models. The AEB may not function correctly due to a software issue and the risk of collision may increase where the driver may be inattentive or does not react to oncoming obstacles.

After taking my car into the dealer for the service upgrade, the car started braking violently without warring when it perceived an obstacle, even with the CTA turned off. On Oct 5th without warning, backing up, no one in the lane in front or behind me, the volvo slammed on the brakes, locked the brakes with "AUTOMATIC INTERVENTION CROSS TRAFFIC ALERT", on the display. I ended up with whiplash and a concussion. The brake sound was so loud it sounder like I hit a wall, but there was nothing there. The car had to be turned off to release the code on display and release the brake so I could move forward. The car has been back to the dealer, twice and no codes show on the computer.

This is not an isolated issue there are at least 3 other people who are experiencing the same issue with the "SPA" model. Myself and another person are afraid to drive their car.
I have filed a safety complaint with the DOT and with Volvo.

If you are experiencing the same or similar issue, while driving forward or reverse, please contact me and volvo customer assistance and report the issue.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I've seen my proximity sensors (parking) go off when stopped at a light or in slow traffic, some cars also have active ultrasound systems and it can pick those up.

·
Registered
724 Posts
We are having this discussion on the S60 Spa forum so I thought I would check over here to see if the system overreacts the same way on your cars. A number of us (plus the Jalopnik reviewer of the V60) have experienced this issue in our cars. As we back up slowly, if the CTA system "sees" a vehicle that it projects will cross your path, instead of only beeping a warning the auto brake system will suddenly jam on the brake pedal causing the car to lurch immediately to a stop. That's a nice feature...when there is a real danger of imminent "collision". However what we are experiencing is that the auto brake intervenes even when the vehicle is well out of range (>15-20 ft) and the car is only backing a 1-2 mph. Jamming the pedal so hard it locks up the brakes is WAY more force than needed and is enough to spill a drink or give your passengers a mild whiplash effect...that they weren't expecting!

Is anyone here seeing this same behavior and has anyone discovered whether it's possible to adjust the distance sensitivity of the auto brake the way you can for the head on collision auto brake intervention (early, normal, late)?
I'm not aware of any AEB system on the XC60 that can brake when the vehicle is going in reverse. I thought the XC60 didn't have that feature.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm not aware of any AEB system on the XC60 that can brake when the vehicle is going in reverse. I thought the XC60 didn't have that feature.

I thought the same until my 2020 XC60 did this in a parking lot once. I haven't noticed that mine is extra sensitive though. It's only triggered once.

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Mine got triggered by my geese. They wait for me when I come home. I pull in, but then back down the last leg of the driveway and the geese follow me to give me goose kisses (which some people call biting). Well when I back up they try to keep up with the car, sometimes succeeding by sorta flapping their wings while running along the car.. this triggers the CTA if I let them get to the back.

It doesn't bother me though, I just know it's how the system works (which you can turn off). Sorta like I changed how I drive with the auto-hold brakes rather than rolling forward. I used to gently coast out of a spot when it was safe to back up.. know I know to wait until it's truly clear. I can't argue that it's not a safer drive. Knowing some areas are super busy though, it's a quick button press away if you need to assert your Volvos rear end in order to get out of your spot... or just combat park all the time..

·
Registered
2020 V60 Cross Country
695 Posts
Mine got triggered by my geese. They wait for me when I come home. I pull in, but then back down the last leg of the driveway and the geese follow me to give me goose kisses (which some people call biting). Well when I back up they try to keep up with the car, sometimes succeeding by sorta flapping their wings while running along the car.. this triggers the CTA if I let them get to the back.

It doesn't bother me though, I just know it's how the system works (which you can turn off). Sorta like I changed how I drive with the auto-hold brakes rather than rolling forward. I used to gently coast out of a spot when it was safe to back up.. know I know to wait until it's truly clear. I can't argue that it's not a safer drive. Knowing some areas are super busy though, it's a quick button press away if you need to assert your Volvos rear end in order to get out of your spot... or just combat park all the time..
I love this! I stopped caring about what the point of your post was because I was too busy picturing the geese.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
594 Posts
lol me too.
do us all a favor and post a pic of them please :D

·
Premium Member
1,836 Posts
Well I didn't mean for them to hijack the thread =-D

The one duck hangs out with the geese.. she's a bit derpy

View attachment 70485