SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Cross shopping all new cars: XC90, Q7, RX350 -- Help me decide!

13K views 96 replies 31 participants last post by  pgray007 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm brand new to the forum, and as the title suggests, I'm in the market for a new SUV and the ones that seem to interest me the most are all completely redesigned models with long order books.

This will primarily be my wife's car, so what we care about most are: a comfortable and easy ride, all of the latest/greatest safety technology, good infotainment with an easy-to-use interface, enough room in the back seat to install and maneuver around a couple of car seats, enough room in the "trunk" to hold a giant stroller, various other child-related stuff, two-weeks' worth of groceries, etc. etc. I know the Lexus is a 5-seater, but the 5 vs. 7 distinction isn't particularly important to me.

I'm looking for help in deciding and in the even any of you all cross-shopped these vehicles and if so, why you chose the XC90?

Thanks!

#2 ·
If safety is a big concern, keep in mind that the new XC90 is the only one of the 3 vehicles you mentioned that doesn't have a "good" torso score in the side impact test by the IIHS. On the other hand, the RX350 doesn't yet have a small overlap score. On yet another hand, the Q5 is the only one of the 3 vehicles that wasn't on the zero driver death list in the most recent IIHS study (keeping in mind that the XC90 on that list is the generation prior to the current generation).

#11 ·
Insignificant. And as the IIHS has reported, the side impact test for the 2016 XC90 was done by Volvo. Maybe the Volvo crash mule was doing 1.5 mph faster than the IIHS mule. It's tolerances, that's all, and you're grasping at straws, probably because Toyota had so much trouble with the 'small overlap crash test'. I wouldn't have a Lexus because they would probably do badly at the 'small overlap test', just like all other Toyota pieces of junk. And 2,500 Americans die in small overlap crashes every year.

#3 ·
Safety of XC90 absolutely wins. If you think XC90 price is high and waiting time is too long, XC70 or even XC60 may work for you if you can check out the trunk side. RX350 I think is same level as XC60 and not as safe.

Q7 is just different taste and old style. It maybe cheaper to start but configured with some options such as ACC, etc, it is also not cheap.

#4 ·
I think RX350 is the first one to be taken out, it's just not head-to-head competition, totally different class.

Q7 is the head-to-head comparison, IMHO. And most people here will tell you that the new Q7 just doesn't look that sexy. Personally, I think the rest should be very comparable to what XC90 can offer.
And new Q7 does offer a range of powertrain, so people would have more choice over XC90.

#5 ·
I have a 2009 Toyota Hybrid Highlander. I had the third row seat ommited which gained me some storage room and the Toyota had
more cargo space than the Lexus.
I am going for the XC90 T8 to have a PHEV plus some safety features.
I think that you should try to get a hybrid or PHEV witha AWD to get better stability control since electric motors can respond more quickly.

#6 ·
Hi All,

I'm brand new to the forum, and as the title suggests, I'm in the market for a new SUV and the ones that seem to interest me the most are all completely redesigned models with long order books.

This will primarily be my wife's car, so what we care about most are: a comfortable and easy ride, all of the latest/greatest safety technology, good infotainment with an easy-to-use interface, enough room in the back seat to install and maneuver around a couple of car seats, enough room in the "trunk" to hold a giant stroller, various other child-related stuff, two-weeks' worth of groceries, etc. etc. I know the Lexus is a 5-seater, but the 5 vs. 7 distinction isn't particularly important to me.

I'm looking for help in deciding and in the even any of you all cross-shopped these vehicles and if so, why you chose the XC90?

Thanks!
Revisiting your post, I imagine your wife would rather have a minivan, as a minivan will do a better job at pretty much everything you listed than just about any SUV, especially when it comes to 2nd and 3rd row room, car seat compatibility, and trunk space behind the 3rd or 2nd row. The best one out there right now is the Honda Odyssey, which would do better at everything you mentioned than the XC90, the Q5, RX350, or any other luxury SUV on the market. Ditto with the Toyota Sienna and Kia Sedona.

#7 ·
No rational decision can be made until you actually touch, feel, smell and drive the models you are interested in. My interest are similar to yours. I drove all that I felt might match my needs.
;)My 2016 XC90 is on the boat for arrival Monday as I write this.

#9 ·
Hi All,

Thanks!
I was in the exact predicament as you, looking fire a car for my wife with room for a baby, stroller, etc.. we were originally interested in the Lexus RX, but decided against it after borrowing my mom's (2013) and one trip to Costco. Q7 was next on the list but the new one is ugly and the old one didn't offer as much as the xc90. The drive was a little better though. Looked at the Infiniti Q60 and wasn't impressed, felt more like a van. The highlander felt cheap. We ended up with a crystal white inscription due here in 3 weeks. If you have time, I'd consider the Jaguar F Pace over the Lexus Rx if you absolutely don't need the 3rd row or extra trunk space.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

#36 ·
If you have time, I'd consider the Jaguar F Pace over the Lexus Rx if you absolutely don't need the 3rd row or extra trunk space.
+1

Jaguar looks like it has a real winner on its hands with the F-PACE. If we didn't need three rows, the F-PACE would have been at the top of our list. Based on the photos, it could very well have an even nicer interior than the Volvo. I drove a supercharged XF for a few years, and I absolutely loved it.

#13 ·
Minivan should not be compared in this category. After doing tons of research in 3 row SUV segment, below are the cars I considered:

1.) 2016 Audi Q7 - Still waiting for it to arrive. Audi drives great. Test drove the 2015 Q7 model and it definitely is a quieter, smoother ride than XC90 even though it was the 2015 Audi model. I am not a big fan of their redesigned 2016 model as it looks more like a wagon but I think it will grow on me eventually. This is definitely a top contender for me besides XC90. Too bad it's not available until later this year or early next year.

2.) Volvo XC90 - This is the best looking SUV out there in this category - both interior and exterior. The drive is decent. If the supply was not as bad as the demand I would have gotten it by now considering Q7 is further delayed. However, due to limited availability I may have to go with another SUV as my need is becoming imminent.

3.) Acura MDX - Acura MDX is definitely a value for money - Nice drive, spacious, not as expensive as the others (besides Pilot) and a great ride. However, I ruled it out because of the center console. Acura needs to work on that as it bugs the hell out of me to have 2 screens to look at. It is confusing, looks cluttered and was one of the key factors for me to rule it out. The center console is right in your face when you drive and I can't imagine spending that much money for something I don't like and would be in front of me every time I drive. I thought the design would grow on me but it had the reverse effect as I continued to hate it the more and more I test drove it (did it a few times at different dealership). If you like the interior then this is definitely a very good SUV.

4.) BMW X5 - I drive a BMW sedan but I ruled out BMW X5 as it is most expensive when similarly configured and it has the least space with 3 rows.

5.) Honda Pilot - I know Honda Pilot is not in the same category as others but the latest redesigned model looks great and is the most roomy SUV out of all of the above. However, if you configure the Pilot same as XC90 it comes to around $50-$55k and is in the same range as XC90 Momentum. At that point might as well buy Acura MDX if you like Honda family. Also, the availability is very limited for Touring/Elite editions and they are selling for MSRP. For that price, rather buy Q7 or XC90.

Eventually I have narrowed it down to these 3 SUVs:

1.) 2016 XC90 - Would buy it now if it were available in the color/combination I want.
2.) 2016 Q7 - Would buy it now if it were available in the color/combination I want.
3.) 2016 Honda Pilot - Would buy it now if it were available in the color/combination I want at or below invoice price. No way I am paying MSRP for a Honda.

I am in Southern California where the demand will be high than supply for these 3 SUVs. It will eventually come down to how soon I am able to get my hands on one of these in the color/combination I want. I have also noticed a huge arrogance in Volvo dealerships due to their new found success on XC90 which is deterring me from considering the car as I don't know how they will treat me in future if I buy their car. Audi customer service folks are the best and I hope they launch Q7 asap.

#19 ·
I ruled out the MDX for some of the same reasons. Infotainment was awful and non intuitive. BMW also messed with basic functionality like turn signals for no good discernible reason -- also I don't really understand the concept of a performance SUV (exit Porsche).

I currently drive an acura TSX. The best feature of the car is that it's ten years old and I only take it to the garage twice a year -- to swap summer and winter tires and change my oil. Beyond that and consumables like brake pads, I haven't had to do any work on the car. My previous honda was like that too.

This is why lexus is on the list. It's uninspiring (and the grille is ugly! But you don't have to see it from the inside ;) ), but they have a great reliability rep and that's meaningful to me.

If volvo had lexus' reliability record, I'd have already plunked my money down!

#14 ·
^ It's silly not to compare minivans in this category if you're looking for vehicles designed to be used with many children while hauling a number of child-focused accessories. SUVs do a poorer job of that across the board; the reason they're popular with people who'd be better served with minivans is because they signal that such people can afford the impracticality of choosing a less practical vehicle. It's the equivalent of buying ripped jeans.

#20 ·
Why do you keep insisting on something that YOU find value in whereas it is evident that some of these posters have settled into getting an SUV? Without a doubt, a minivan gives the most room and (quite possibly) utility. However (as you wrote in the Volvo Sales thread) it is about what sort of "compromises" one wants to make. Quality of ride and appearance is very important to a lot of people and that is where minivans fail miserably.

Don't you think that these people are intelligent enough to have considered (even in a fleeting manner) a minivan? I am sure the OP did and there is a reason why he and his wife are looking at these 3-4 SUVs...

#18 ·
Like many here we too looked at a variety of the vehicles such as the MDX, new upcoming RX, new Q7, and of course the new XC90. The XC90 had the space we wanted because we are moving from the 22014 Honda Odyssey Elite to the new XC90. We needed to have the 3rd row if there was ever a need. Also keep in mind, the storage space when the 3rd row is up in the new MDX or Q7 is practically nothing compared to the XC90. We even considered the new Pilot but as one posted mentioned it is very difficult to get the Elite trim and frankly did not like the exterior look that much nor the interior. It still reminded us of the Odyssey minivan without the power sliding doors.

#22 ·
Hi All,

Thanks!
Max,

There is also a whole thread on the forum that has detailed comparisons between other SUVs and the XC90 called "what are you comparing." I, for one, wrote a range of detailed reviews on the competition.

M

#26 ·
RX350 is a smaller all around vehicle. If you don't need either the seating or cargo capacity it's certainly an option, but then so are a bunch of other smaller CUV's. Out of curiosity when you say you don't car about the third row seating, what's your situation in life? No kids? Or just one really small kid? I ask because it may affect whether you can always stick to the lack of need for a third row. Obviously if you have no kids, that sounds right. If you only have 1-2 and they are really small and you don't plan to keep it too many years that may work too. But otherwise you would be surprised how quickly you find use for it. We have 3 cars all with 3 rows now. Use them all the time. If for no other reason than the carpool. So many things where local parents need to rely on each other to get to/from collective kids activities and without the third row people get left out of the carpool because they don't have enough seats to share duty. I know a family that never liked the status of their minivan so they recently traded it for a sedan and didn't really think out the carpool situation. Then when they tried to join they were politely told they would have to find someone else who could always share responsibility on their days. Now they are regretting it...

On the Q7, you are just a few months away from an entirely new design of that model. Unless you have to own now I would wait. The new model should be a strong competitor for the XC90, except it is almost universally panned as physically uglier. But in terms of drive and features, very competitive. Otherwise you are buying the very last of an outdated model.

The same may be true of the RX350 BTW. It was on the verge of a totally new model refresh. Not sure if it's hit the dealerships yet.

#27 ·
I'd buy the nicest minivan I could if the kids are small. Life is simply easier w a minivan.

But I'd buy the SUV once kids are past stroller age.

Why no GM vehicles here?

#30 ·
I'd buy the nicest minivan I could if the kids are small. Life is simply easier w a minivan.

But I'd buy the SUV once kids are past stroller age.

Why no GM vehicles here?
We have 3 kids and never thought of buying a minivan! I will just not go there lol We managed just fine in our X5 with 3 kids and 3 child seats :)

Why no GM vehicles lol :thumbdown:

#28 ·
If you plan on keeping the vehicle for long, dont even consider the other 2. Reserve the RX.

Otherwise it depends on what you really need. Both the XC and Q are great vehicles. The Q7 is a bit more composed as a chassis but the XC90 is no slouch. The space is a big win for the XC, but your not gonna loose out on the q either.
Plus if you need brand prestige, Those rings thoo......

#29 ·
If you plan on keeping the vehicle for long, dont even consider the other 2. Reserve the RX.

Otherwise it depends on what you really need. Both the XC and Q are great vehicles. The Q7 is a bit more composed as a chassis but the XC90 is no slouch. The space is a big win for the XC, but your not gonna loose out on the q either.
Plus if you need brand prestige, Those rings thoo......
Why do you consider the RX better if you're going to keep it a long time?

#37 ·
^thats something to consider. Its soooooo economical, but the minute you add worthwhile options your looking at $67K.

But if your ok with a car that will sound AMAZING, handle AMAZING (hoping this was one was designed with XE on stilts) then for $42-$45, the Cayenne better be worried...a Jaguar is hungry for some pepper porsche

#46 ·
The mdx is direct competitor with the XC with its 3rd row.

For the price, its also the cheapest, decked out buyers on the mdxforums are getting Advanced trim AWD models (highest trim possible with all the options) for $50+ ttl That includes all the safety feature imaginable and a 9 speed transmission if your keeping count.

However its a pilot/odo in the a leather jacket. And their is its biggest pitfall. Yes the seats are amazing, actually better access to the third row then the XC90, however the material quality on the MDX is lower. The infotainment is garbage (thankfully theyre moving away from the two screen display in the newer HMC models) the transmission is the worst, with a whole long thread detailing why the transmission (the dreaded ZF 9 Speed from such failures as the FCA 200 and cherokee where the transmission has had to be reprogrammed or replaced more then the industry average).

So for the price MDX is all good. Engine is strong and reliable but transmission is the weakest mechanical link so I`d avoid it (I believe this is Acura 2nd MDX generation that is notorious for bad transmissions the 07-13s were good solid vehicles).

So again bar non Lexus RX FTW

#48 ·
^ The confidence levels of owners there are definitely telling compared to those here. You've got folks there literally telling you that they don't need to sell the RX to anyone, and that it's something to figure out on your own. Next to no bashing of other models besides Audi, which was directly in reference to their toxic diesel scandal.

#52 ·
To each his own. Mechanical failures, especially transmission related issues are just a pita since the minute you mention transmission the number of available qualified shops decrease and $$$ come out which scares me personally. Knowing that you owned a RX300, did you ever have the transmission recall done? Thats actually a trait both 1st gen luxury jap crossovers shared (bad transmissions).

The RX is a redesign, but again lets be honest the Lexus and even Acuras dont tend to be revolutionary with design in terms of parts and parts sharing between their plethora of inhouse expansive (ie lexus RX motor is a toyota motor). Very few new things are added generation to generation compared to the say the all new XC90 or even generations of the German offerings. The dealership experience varies tbh. Its very important, and lexus really takes pride in resolving errors around here.

#65 ·
Does anyone else think the new style of the Lexus SUV/CUVs looks like the villains in a SYFY movie (think Wraith). The Lexus product is still a great value, particularly re-sell value.
Honda/Acura--another great value, but the herky-jerky workflow of the digital interaction, with multiple screens and buttons seems confusing.
If you enjoy the driving experience, Audi may be the way to go. Style is still a little chunky to me, and there seems to be better options for maximizing space.
Money no object--I would definitely consider the Porsche. A new update should be coming soon after the Audi update.
Then you got the Land Rovers and the new Jaguar, the GMC/Cadillac truck based SUVs. Wow! Something for everyone and every dollar. Different strokes for different folks. You won't know until you narrow your list and test drive weighing the pros and cons.
I did. And the best features for the money for me... is the Volvo--it just makes sense--for me, so I ordered one.
Good luck.

#73 ·
Agree that, based on the OP needs, a minivan would be a great choice. The minivan hate is irrational. If you have babies and large strollers, the minivan makes life so much easier. I speak from experience, as I own a 2011 Odyssey. A large stroller eats up all of the cargo floor in a Honda CR-V, so you know it's going to take up most of the space in a midsize crossover. The Odyssey swallows the stroller, no problem...

Last I checked, it's not practical to stack your stroller on top of two weeks of groceries, or vice versa!... And a minivan relieves the stress of having to play Tetris or Jenga with your cargo!... and you still get to see out of your back window!

Now, I plan to trade in my Odyssey for, likely, the XC90, but I do so knowing full well that my cargo and seating practicality will be greatly diminished... but I also gain mucho luxury, tech and ground clearance (Odyssey easily scrapes on curbs).

My main beef with the Odyssey (and minivans in general) is the lack of luxury and tech. No radar cruise control or around-view camera, for instance, available on the Odyssey! (Yes, Kia Sedona has some of those goodies, but it's smaller inside and gets much worse MPG.)

This may sound blasphemous, but I've long thought that Volvo should make a minivan... With their reputation for family and safety, they could pull it off, commercially... A truly premium minivan (with a little extra ground clearance) would rock!

P.S. power sliding doors are truly awesome. You can open and close them without leaving the driver's seat... I know, sounds boring and obvious, but the actual experience of it is so nice, and it never gets old... In general, I challenge an open-minded minivan hater to spend some drive time in an Odyssey...

P.S.S. yes, Mercedes failed with its R-class minivan. But maybe that's because it sucked as a minivan? Relatively small inside and no power sliding doors!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#76 ·
I was in the same boat as OP. 2016 RX 350 or XC90. I ended up with those two for the following reasons:

• BMW/Audi are more expensive loaded.
  • BMW/Audi are a bit more expensive to repair than an XC90. I planning on keeping the car 8-10 years.
  • 2016 RX350 and XC90 are both new.
  • Acura MDX center console with navigation is absolutely awful and I see so many on the streets.
  • I have owned a Toyota and Honda all my life and it just feels "reliable/long lasting/easier to repair".

I have twins and never thought much about the importance of a third row. With a two row crossover, I can only fit one extra person. There are many times where we go out and I would like to have my family be in the same car.

I visited a Volvo dealer twice in the past three days. Test drove the car and absolutely loved it. I am very nervous as I have never owned a Volvo before. Reading other posts, some folks don't seem to like the Navigation that much. There is another post about someone who is getting a bunch of error and warnings after having the car for six days.

With that said, I am going today to put a deposit on a XC90 R-Design.

#77 ·
I'm not sure you can know that the new Volvo will be cheaper to repair than the comparable Audi or BMW. It's a higher-end car than it's predecessors so not sure history is a judge. FWIW, Volvo is pricing it's extended warranty program around the same price as BMW and Audi if that tells you anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.