SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm brand new to the forum, and as the title suggests, I'm in the market for a new SUV and the ones that seem to interest me the most are all completely redesigned models with long order books.

This will primarily be my wife's car, so what we care about most are: a comfortable and easy ride, all of the latest/greatest safety technology, good infotainment with an easy-to-use interface, enough room in the back seat to install and maneuver around a couple of car seats, enough room in the "trunk" to hold a giant stroller, various other child-related stuff, two-weeks' worth of groceries, etc. etc. I know the Lexus is a 5-seater, but the 5 vs. 7 distinction isn't particularly important to me.

I'm looking for help in deciding and in the even any of you all cross-shopped these vehicles and if so, why you chose the XC90?

Thanks!

·
Banned
763 Posts
If safety is a big concern, keep in mind that the new XC90 is the only one of the 3 vehicles you mentioned that doesn't have a "good" torso score in the side impact test by the IIHS. On the other hand, the RX350 doesn't yet have a small overlap score. On yet another hand, the Q5 is the only one of the 3 vehicles that wasn't on the zero driver death list in the most recent IIHS study (keeping in mind that the XC90 on that list is the generation prior to the current generation).

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Safety of XC90 absolutely wins. If you think XC90 price is high and waiting time is too long, XC70 or even XC60 may work for you if you can check out the trunk side. RX350 I think is same level as XC60 and not as safe.

Q7 is just different taste and old style. It maybe cheaper to start but configured with some options such as ACC, etc, it is also not cheap.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think RX350 is the first one to be taken out, it's just not head-to-head competition, totally different class.

Q7 is the head-to-head comparison, IMHO. And most people here will tell you that the new Q7 just doesn't look that sexy. Personally, I think the rest should be very comparable to what XC90 can offer.
And new Q7 does offer a range of powertrain, so people would have more choice over XC90.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 2009 Toyota Hybrid Highlander. I had the third row seat ommited which gained me some storage room and the Toyota had
more cargo space than the Lexus.
I am going for the XC90 T8 to have a PHEV plus some safety features.
I think that you should try to get a hybrid or PHEV witha AWD to get better stability control since electric motors can respond more quickly.

·
Banned
763 Posts
Hi All,

I'm brand new to the forum, and as the title suggests, I'm in the market for a new SUV and the ones that seem to interest me the most are all completely redesigned models with long order books.

This will primarily be my wife's car, so what we care about most are: a comfortable and easy ride, all of the latest/greatest safety technology, good infotainment with an easy-to-use interface, enough room in the back seat to install and maneuver around a couple of car seats, enough room in the "trunk" to hold a giant stroller, various other child-related stuff, two-weeks' worth of groceries, etc. etc. I know the Lexus is a 5-seater, but the 5 vs. 7 distinction isn't particularly important to me.

I'm looking for help in deciding and in the even any of you all cross-shopped these vehicles and if so, why you chose the XC90?

Thanks!
Revisiting your post, I imagine your wife would rather have a minivan, as a minivan will do a better job at pretty much everything you listed than just about any SUV, especially when it comes to 2nd and 3rd row room, car seat compatibility, and trunk space behind the 3rd or 2nd row. The best one out there right now is the Honda Odyssey, which would do better at everything you mentioned than the XC90, the Q5, RX350, or any other luxury SUV on the market. Ditto with the Toyota Sienna and Kia Sedona.

·
Registered
366 Posts
No rational decision can be made until you actually touch, feel, smell and drive the models you are interested in. My interest are similar to yours. I drove all that I felt might match my needs.
;)My 2016 XC90 is on the boat for arrival Monday as I write this.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Revisiting your post, I imagine your wife would rather have a minivan, as a minivan will do a better job at pretty much everything you listed than just about any SUV, especially when it comes to 2nd and 3rd row room, car seat compatibility, and trunk space behind the 3rd or 2nd row. The best one out there right now is the Honda Odyssey, which would do better at everything you mentioned than the XC90, the Q5, RX350, or any other luxury SUV on the market. Ditto with the Toyota Sienna and Kia Sedona.
You cannot give an economical car to wife and expect you are allowed to get a luxury one for yourself. :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks!
I was in the exact predicament as you, looking fire a car for my wife with room for a baby, stroller, etc.. we were originally interested in the Lexus RX, but decided against it after borrowing my mom's (2013) and one trip to Costco. Q7 was next on the list but the new one is ugly and the old one didn't offer as much as the xc90. The drive was a little better though. Looked at the Infiniti Q60 and wasn't impressed, felt more like a van. The highlander felt cheap. We ended up with a crystal white inscription due here in 3 weeks. If you have time, I'd consider the Jaguar F Pace over the Lexus Rx if you absolutely don't need the 3rd row or extra trunk space.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
If safety is a big concern, keep in mind that the new XC90 is the only one of the 3 vehicles you mentioned that doesn't have a "good" torso score in the side impact test by the IIHS. On the other hand, the RX350 doesn't yet have a small overlap score. On yet another hand, the Q5 is the only one of the 3 vehicles that wasn't on the zero driver death list in the most recent IIHS study (keeping in mind that the XC90 on that list is the generation prior to the current generation).
Insignificant. And as the IIHS has reported, the side impact test for the 2016 XC90 was done by Volvo. Maybe the Volvo crash mule was doing 1.5 mph faster than the IIHS mule. It's tolerances, that's all, and you're grasping at straws, probably because Toyota had so much trouble with the 'small overlap crash test'. I wouldn't have a Lexus because they would probably do badly at the 'small overlap test', just like all other Toyota pieces of junk. And 2,500 Americans die in small overlap crashes every year.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Minivan should not be compared in this category. After doing tons of research in 3 row SUV segment, below are the cars I considered:

1.) 2016 Audi Q7 - Still waiting for it to arrive. Audi drives great. Test drove the 2015 Q7 model and it definitely is a quieter, smoother ride than XC90 even though it was the 2015 Audi model. I am not a big fan of their redesigned 2016 model as it looks more like a wagon but I think it will grow on me eventually. This is definitely a top contender for me besides XC90. Too bad it's not available until later this year or early next year.

2.) Volvo XC90 - This is the best looking SUV out there in this category - both interior and exterior. The drive is decent. If the supply was not as bad as the demand I would have gotten it by now considering Q7 is further delayed. However, due to limited availability I may have to go with another SUV as my need is becoming imminent.

3.) Acura MDX - Acura MDX is definitely a value for money - Nice drive, spacious, not as expensive as the others (besides Pilot) and a great ride. However, I ruled it out because of the center console. Acura needs to work on that as it bugs the hell out of me to have 2 screens to look at. It is confusing, looks cluttered and was one of the key factors for me to rule it out. The center console is right in your face when you drive and I can't imagine spending that much money for something I don't like and would be in front of me every time I drive. I thought the design would grow on me but it had the reverse effect as I continued to hate it the more and more I test drove it (did it a few times at different dealership). If you like the interior then this is definitely a very good SUV.

4.) BMW X5 - I drive a BMW sedan but I ruled out BMW X5 as it is most expensive when similarly configured and it has the least space with 3 rows.

5.) Honda Pilot - I know Honda Pilot is not in the same category as others but the latest redesigned model looks great and is the most roomy SUV out of all of the above. However, if you configure the Pilot same as XC90 it comes to around $50-$55k and is in the same range as XC90 Momentum. At that point might as well buy Acura MDX if you like Honda family. Also, the availability is very limited for Touring/Elite editions and they are selling for MSRP. For that price, rather buy Q7 or XC90.

Eventually I have narrowed it down to these 3 SUVs:

1.) 2016 XC90 - Would buy it now if it were available in the color/combination I want.
2.) 2016 Q7 - Would buy it now if it were available in the color/combination I want.
3.) 2016 Honda Pilot - Would buy it now if it were available in the color/combination I want at or below invoice price. No way I am paying MSRP for a Honda.

I am in Southern California where the demand will be high than supply for these 3 SUVs. It will eventually come down to how soon I am able to get my hands on one of these in the color/combination I want. I have also noticed a huge arrogance in Volvo dealerships due to their new found success on XC90 which is deterring me from considering the car as I don't know how they will treat me in future if I buy their car. Audi customer service folks are the best and I hope they launch Q7 asap.

·
Banned
763 Posts
^ It's silly not to compare minivans in this category if you're looking for vehicles designed to be used with many children while hauling a number of child-focused accessories. SUVs do a poorer job of that across the board; the reason they're popular with people who'd be better served with minivans is because they signal that such people can afford the impracticality of choosing a less practical vehicle. It's the equivalent of buying ripped jeans.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
You sure are one of a kind IIHS being the only person I've heard that suggests safety as a weakness of volvo! Volvo has been working on safety as its #1 priority since its inception in 1927 and is still regarded as the number 1 in the automotive world by various organizations and experts. The previous generation xc90 which was introduced in 2002 recieved the TSP rating from IIHS, while the newer generation XC90 recieved the highest TSP+ rating. It is garnered top marks on all the categories, including the side impact test, with a top rating of "good". Additionally the xc90 achieved the highest marks overall in the EURO-NCAP safety test among the cars tested by the institution.

The active safety features which are standard on the xc90 are the most comprehensive on the market today. The quality of the active safety systems on volvo cars have previously been compared with other brands by independent institutions, with volvo recieving the highest marks in each test when compared with its class-counterparts.

In light of all these independent tests, insurance data, and more which I do not have the time to list, the overall professional consensus is that volvo is THE safest automobile in the world, nothing less...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While it's primarily going to be my wife's car, I will drive it on weekends and whatnot. And frankly I'd rather be in a hearse than a minivan.

That may not be a fully rational response, but how much is really rational when we're talking about $60,000 automobiles? :p

·
Registered
372 Posts
Like many here we too looked at a variety of the vehicles such as the MDX, new upcoming RX, new Q7, and of course the new XC90. The XC90 had the space we wanted because we are moving from the 22014 Honda Odyssey Elite to the new XC90. We needed to have the 3rd row if there was ever a need. Also keep in mind, the storage space when the 3rd row is up in the new MDX or Q7 is practically nothing compared to the XC90. We even considered the new Pilot but as one posted mentioned it is very difficult to get the Elite trim and frankly did not like the exterior look that much nor the interior. It still reminded us of the Odyssey minivan without the power sliding doors.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Minivan should not be compared in this category. After doing tons of research in 3 row SUV segment, below are the cars I considered:

1.) 2016 Audi Q7 - Still waiting for it to arrive. Audi drives great. Test drove the 2015 Q7 model and it definitely is a quieter, smoother ride than XC90 even though it was the 2015 Audi model. I am not a big fan of their redesigned 2016 model as it looks more like a wagon but I think it will grow on me eventually. This is definitely a top contender for me besides XC90. Too bad it's not available until later this year or early next year.

2.) Volvo XC90 - This is the best looking SUV out there in this category - both interior and exterior. The drive is decent. If the supply was not as bad as the demand I would have gotten it by now considering Q7 is further delayed. However, due to limited availability I may have to go with another SUV as my need is becoming imminent.

3.) Acura MDX - Acura MDX is definitely a value for money - Nice drive, spacious, not as expensive as the others (besides Pilot) and a great ride. However, I ruled it out because of the center console. Acura needs to work on that as it bugs the hell out of me to have 2 screens to look at. It is confusing, looks cluttered and was one of the key factors for me to rule it out. The center console is right in your face when you drive and I can't imagine spending that much money for something I don't like and would be in front of me every time I drive. I thought the design would grow on me but it had the reverse effect as I continued to hate it the more and more I test drove it (did it a few times at different dealership). If you like the interior then this is definitely a very good SUV.

4.) BMW X5 - I drive a BMW sedan but I ruled out BMW X5 as it is most expensive when similarly configured and it has the least space with 3 rows.

5.) Honda Pilot - I know Honda Pilot is not in the same category as others but the latest redesigned model looks great and is the most roomy SUV out of all of the above. However, if you configure the Pilot same as XC90 it comes to around $50-$55k and is in the same range as XC90 Momentum. At that point might as well buy Acura MDX if you like Honda family. Also, the availability is very limited for Touring/Elite editions and they are selling for MSRP. For that price, rather buy Q7 or XC90.

Eventually I have narrowed it down to these 3 SUVs:

1.) 2016 XC90 - Would buy it now if it were available in the color/combination I want.
2.) 2016 Q7 - Would buy it now if it were available in the color/combination I want.
3.) 2016 Honda Pilot - Would buy it now if it were available in the color/combination I want at or below invoice price. No way I am paying MSRP for a Honda.

I am in Southern California where the demand will be high than supply for these 3 SUVs. It will eventually come down to how soon I am able to get my hands on one of these in the color/combination I want. I have also noticed a huge arrogance in Volvo dealerships due to their new found success on XC90 which is deterring me from considering the car as I don't know how they will treat me in future if I buy their car. Audi customer service folks are the best and I hope they launch Q7 asap.
I ruled out the MDX for some of the same reasons. Infotainment was awful and non intuitive. BMW also messed with basic functionality like turn signals for no good discernible reason -- also I don't really understand the concept of a performance SUV (exit Porsche).

I currently drive an acura TSX. The best feature of the car is that it's ten years old and I only take it to the garage twice a year -- to swap summer and winter tires and change my oil. Beyond that and consumables like brake pads, I haven't had to do any work on the car. My previous honda was like that too.

This is why lexus is on the list. It's uninspiring (and the grille is ugly! But you don't have to see it from the inside ;) ), but they have a great reliability rep and that's meaningful to me.

If volvo had lexus' reliability record, I'd have already plunked my money down!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
^ It's silly not to compare minivans in this category if you're looking for vehicles designed to be used with many children while hauling a number of child-focused accessories. SUVs do a poorer job of that across the board; the reason they're popular with people who'd be better served with minivans is because they signal that such people can afford the impracticality of choosing a less practical vehicle. It's the equivalent of buying ripped jeans.
Why do you keep insisting on something that YOU find value in whereas it is evident that some of these posters have settled into getting an SUV? Without a doubt, a minivan gives the most room and (quite possibly) utility. However (as you wrote in the Volvo Sales thread) it is about what sort of "compromises" one wants to make. Quality of ride and appearance is very important to a lot of people and that is where minivans fail miserably.

Don't you think that these people are intelligent enough to have considered (even in a fleeting manner) a minivan? I am sure the OP did and there is a reason why he and his wife are looking at these 3-4 SUVs...

1 - 20 of 97 Posts