SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse this Cross Post, but both forums seem to be places to go to get the best information. Thanks

Moving On
I have a 2006 V70R 6 speed with 180K miles. It has become quite expensive to maintain the last few years. I am considering replacing it, at my wife's urging. But every time I drive it, I say I can't get rid of this. I am currently researching replacements, online. I prefer to buy premium brands as CPO cars, and my last two cars (for myself) have been Volvo wagons. I think the Volvo that appears to be the best fit as a replacement would be a 2016 V60 T6 R Design (4 cylinder, 2.0 L). I have never driven any V60, let alone a T6 and would welcome comments from those familiar with my old car and the V60.
Thanks very much.
The other cars I am considering would be a BMW 3 Series wagon or 428i xDrive Gran Coupe, both 2016 as well. Again, any comments welcome.
Best wishes, John

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would also test drive a BMW 3-Series Gran Turismo - they seem to not be that popular but many are available for far less than a 3-series and offer superior driving characteristics than the comparable Volvo wagon. I was looking into buying one and really, really liked it but stuck with a sedan in the Volvo family because the deal and Volvo's seats were too good to pass up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know the 3 GT is less expensive, but I don't like the looks. (Shallow of me I know.) The 4 Gran Coupe is much better to my eye. Thanks for letting me know that you feel the BMW drives better than the Volvo, despite this being a Volvo forum. I was hoping that the T6 R Design might make up for some of that difference. I believe the 4 Series is considered better handling than the 3, but that's just from my reading.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think the Volvo that appears to be the best fit as a replacement would be a 2016 V60 T6 R Design (4 cylinder, 2.0 L).
I have that exact model with the Polestar tuning but I've no experience with the V70R so its hard for me to draw any useful comparisons for you.
One thing I would suggest if you have the chance would be to drive the slightly older V60 T6 with the 3.0 I6 turbo, I think this was phased out in 2016 but was available in a 2015.5 model.
The 3.0 turbo I6 with Polestar tuning (325 hp / 354 lbft) was definitely quicker when I test drove it back to back with 2.0 super/turbo charge with Polestar tuning (306 hp / 317 lbft), although the 2.0 was not slow by any means. I was more concerned about fuel consumption than ultimate performance so I went with the 2016 and the smaller displacement engine. I get around 25-26mpg with my commute and I estimated I'd probably be looking at 19-20mpg with the I6. I got mine used and had to pay for the Polestar tuning after buying the car, I believe the 3.0 T6 R Design models were almost all upgraded on arrival in the US but the 2.0 T6 R Design didn't get the same treatment.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Went from a favourite ‘07 V70R to a then-new ‘16 V60RD 3.0 T6, which is better in every way except cargo space. It’s our new favourite or four previous Volvos. The P* tuned I6 is probably the best engine Volvo has ever made, and the V60RD is a long-term ‘keeper’ - perhaps the last gasoline-engines car we will ever own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts