SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Yesterday heard slight squeaky / chirp under car only at low speed 0-10 mph. Sounded like bent dust shield touching rotor... so lifted car, turned wheels, turned the prop shaft and discovered the round thing at end of prop shaft that connects to rear diff is crooked and it's easy to move around back and forth.

The noise is from the flange ever so slightly touching the AOC pump housing - as shown in pic (random pic on internet - not my car). So I moved it forward problem solved!

Today the chirp came back. Could be age/normal wear but it just appeared yesterday after muffler shop visit.

What could have caused this? Easy fix/ serviceable or flange remove/replace? what is that flange part called?

If I decide to fix then I have to pay someone to do this, while in there could replace aoc pump, filter, oil etc.

Drives fine no vibration just crickets under car when rolling at 0-10mph

·
Registered
133 Posts
Had the same issue.
The rubber between flange and dampener ring was nearly gone at my car.

I was able to pull the ring off with nearly no effort when i was resealing my rear diff.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Weird you have that damper on your car. I thought only the ATs had them. My R does not.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Weird you have that damper on your car. I thought only the ATs had them. My R does not.
The ring fell off when removing / pulling the old damper. Could’ve just reused it I guess...

I have m66. Not sure but I think the AOC damper is same on all 02-09 awd’s. I found a used rear diff in SF for 100 bucks! ABC AUTO parts for those in sf bay. Also bought new OE AOC pump and filter.

The used damper looks old but is solid AF. Good for another 200k hopefully. Noticeably quieter drivetrain / rear driveshaft operation. What I thought was clutch clank is gone and vibration I thought was from old prop shaft is gone :beer:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts