SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going to post this in one of the start/stop threads but realizing that this is not about start/stop only, I chose to create a new thread.

Here is how to create your own profile which offers a degree of customization with regards to the way the steering wheel feels, the drivertrain behavior, suspension settings, start/stop, etc.

For example, I have customized my car to drive (when I choose the Individual mode via the drive mode selector, in the center console) in Comfort mode, medium steering wheel force, suspension lowered. Which means, I do not have to drive in Dynamic mode or exceed 55 mph if I prefer to drive with the air suspension in its lowest setting.

So, here it goes:

Go to "SETTINGS"
Go to "MY CAR"
Go to "INDIVIDUAL DRIVE MODE"
from there, see the submenu that offers the following customizations:
"PRESET MODE" (Eco, Comfort or Dynamic)
"DRIVER DISPLAY"" (Eco, Comfort or Dynamic)
"STEERING FORCE" (Low, Medium or Dynamic)
"POWERTRAIN CHARACTERISTICS" (Eco, Comfort or Dynamic)
"BRAKE CHARACTERISTICS" (Normal or Dynamic)
"SUSPENSION CONTROL" (Eco, Comfort or Dynamic)
Below these, there are two boxes you can select:
"ECO CLIMATE" (the default setting is that the box is unchecked)
"START/STOP" (the default setting is that the box is checked)

Once you have finished with the customization steps described above, exit out of the entire menu and go back to SETTINGS
From there, go to "SYSTEM"
Go to "Driver Profile"
You can either "CREATE YOUR OWN" or "MODIFY" one of the default profiles[
Whatever customizing you have done, it will be saved under anew profile or after you finish editing an already existing one. You can name the profile whatever you want so that you know it is your own.

Keep in mind that when you switch profiles (let's say you do that manually for someone else or some other person within your household has unlocked the car with his/her key, which is tied to a different profile than yours) it will take a good minute or so before all the settings in Sensus are switched to those within your profile.

I hope this helps new owners, primarily.

·
Registered
822 Posts
:thumbup:

Destined to be a sticky? Very useful.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm bookmarking this for next month

·
Registered
320 Posts
Nice post, Yannis. Tremendously helpful!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Thanks Yannis. Do you also need to tick the box at the top to enable individual driver profiles.

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
487 Posts
Here is how to create your own profile which offers a degree of customization with regards to the way the steering wheel feels, the drivertrain behavior, suspension settings, start/stop, etc.

Keep in mind that when you switch profiles (let's say you do that manually for someone else or some other person within your household has unlocked the car with his/her key, which is tied to a different profile than yours) it will take a good minute or so before all the settings in Sensus are switched to those within your profile.

I noticed that this thread has been edited, and at first I thought you could tie INDIVIDUAL DRIVE MODE to the KEY used for a Driver Profile... My impression was that I would be able to jump in my car with the KEY associated with my profile and have the car AUTOMATICALLY switch to my individual drive mode. Unfortunately, this is not the case (or at least is not working in my car). I have my own Individual Drive Mode created, I have a driver profile created, and I have saved everything to my key.

However, when I go to start up the car with the associated KEY, it just doesn't switch to the Individual Drive mode. I have been unable to find any VOLVO documentation showing exactly how to save the Individual Drive mode to the key. Previously, when I read this before it was edited, I thought this could be achieved. Now that I have attempted it, and since I can't find anything from Volvo on how to actually do it, I'm wondering if it is possible and if I may have a software glitch from my recent updates?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Just found it... Wow, this disappointing: http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9693/~/what-is-driver-profile-and-how-do-i-use-it?

WHY WOULD CONNECTING "DRIVE MODE" DIRECTLY TO THE KEY VIA "DRIVER PROFILE" BE SUCH A SIGNIFICANT IMPROVEMENT (you may ask)?
Because if you are a regular driver of your car ALL of the other settings remain in place next time you drive the car anyway. There is little convenience to the full time driver of the car with "Driver Profiles". What is the one setting that doesn't persist from your last drive?
INDIVIDUAL DRIVE MODE!
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I was going to post this in one of the start/stop threads but realizing that this is not about start/stop only, I chose to create a new thread.

For example, I have customized my car to drive (when I choose the Individual mode via the drive mode selector, in the center console) in Comfort mode, medium steering wheel force, suspension lowered. Which means, I do not have to drive in Dynamic mode or exceed 55 mph if I prefer to drive with the air suspension in its lowest setting.

So, here it goes:

Go to "SETTINGS"
Go to "MY CAR"

Once you have finished with the customization steps described above, exit out of the entire menu and go back to SETTINGS
Go to "Driver Profile"
Whatever customizing you have done, it will be saved under anew profile or after you finish editing an already existing one. You can name the profile whatever you want so that you know it is your own.

I thought that lowered suspension means less "cushioning" travel of the suspension and therefore ride cannot be a COMFORT mode one. Sounds like a contradiction in terms. Is the car still and really comfortable at lowered suspension?

Thanks

·
Registered
281 Posts

So, here it goes:

Go to "SETTINGS"
Go to "MY CAR"

Go to "Driver Profile"

Thanks. Very helpful

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought that lowered suspension means less "cushioning" travel of the suspension and therefore ride cannot be a COMFORT mode one. Sounds like a contradiction in terms. Is the car still and really comfortable at lowered suspension?

Thanks
In theory, yes, you are correct. However, "comfort" is a relative and highly subjective term.

For me, comfort setting on the air suspension, translates to "floaty". Not bad at all but not the way I want to drive and the way I am accustomed when driving during my daily schedule. On the other hand, I do not require the engine to be in Dynamic all day long and, despite some people's opinions here, I like the start/stop to be functional when I am stopped at a light for at least 30 seconds or longer.

With that, the Individual Profile works perfect for me; Comfort mode for the engine and Dynamic setting for the suspension which allows for a sportier (but not uncomfortable) feel.

The car does feel very good and not harsh with its suspension lowered; it has the 20" wheels.

In a couple of weeks, I will be transitioning to a T8 R-design that will have the 22" wheels; I will let you know whether or not there will be a difference.

·
Registered
75 Posts
However, when I go to start up the car with the associated KEY, it just doesn't switch to the Individual Drive mode. I have been unable to find any VOLVO documentation showing exactly how to save the Individual Drive mode to the key. Previously, when I read this before it was edited, I thought this could be achieved. Now that I have attempted it, and since I can't find anything from Volvo on how to actually do it, I'm wondering if it is possible and if I may have a software glitch from my recent updates?
At this point, what I miss is the possibility to have the Individual mode as default.
As far I know, when setting the Individual mode, you may choose the default drive mode but only the three options eco/confort/dynamic, therefore there is no possibility to have the Individual mode as default.
I understand the only way is to push the (nice) wheel knob and select the individual mode every time I start the car. Of course I can live with this, but, as you say, connecting the Drive Mode to the key would be sure better.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I assume that Dynamic suspension means the car is it its lowest driving position.
Perhaps it will still go lower at higher speed.
I do hope that the Dynamic suspension mode will still offer reasonable comfort on 19" wheels.
I would also like to know the height of the car when in Comfort and Dynamic mode and also
when in "easy in/out" position. Unfortunately, I can't find the numbers :(
The drive mode attached to the key would be nice. If the car would start up in the same mode
as when it was shut down would also be nice, at least if the S/S setting is also remembered.
Zahra

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wow, thank you very much for sharing this helpful tip with us!!! Did the on/off "start/stop" setting actually saved to your profile and remembers it every time you startup your car? If it does, then it's a This promising workaround to finally disable the "start/stop" feature :)

:partywave:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Did the on/off "start/stop" setting actually saved to your profile and remembers it every time you startup your car?
Unfortunately, the answer is no. It seems Volvo has made a conscious decision to never allow the vehicle to be started with the start/stop feature turned off. I'm guessing that's why you are not allowed link a specific drive mode to your key.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Wow, thank you very much for sharing this helpful tip with us!!! Did the on/off "start/stop" setting actually saved to your profile and remembers it every time you startup your car? If it does, then it's a This promising workaround to finally disable the "start/stop" feature :)

:partywave:
That is what is NOT possible. :facepalm:

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unfortunately, the answer is no. It seems Volvo has made a conscious decision to never allow the vehicle to be started with the start/stop feature turned off. I'm guessing that's why you are not allowed link a specific drive mode to your key.
Correct. However, if you want to disable it when you start your trip, it is only one "click" away.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts