SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my front passenger strut started creaking when it moved up or down? I just washed it and maybe the lubricant came off, but i have also just installed my new wheels and maybe they have beat it to death?? Anybody have input?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Creaky Strut (steve850)

There is no lubricant and installing wheels would have nothing to do with it.
You probably have a cracked strut mount. One day they just start to make noise

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Re: Creaky Strut (854T5)

Inner tie rods don't "creak". If they make any noise at all, they "clunk" like a sway bar end

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Re: Creaky Strut (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
Inner tie rods don't "creak". If they make any noise at all, they "clunk" like a sway bar end
Not true JRL. I have done many that were creaking due to dry joints.
You hear them when you push on the car up and down.
Customers hear them when going slow over speed bumps.
When they get loose they clunk true. But if the joint dries out they creak.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: Creaky Strut (steve850)

It's unlikely to be the spring seat on a '97. The spring seat issue was revised before then. But it could be a worn or loose upper mount.

Be sure that it's coming from the strut area. Stabilizer bar mounts can develop creaking noises as well.

You can diagnose some bushing creaks using WD-40, which won't hurt anything and will temporarily silence things long enough to pinpoint the culprit. Just don't spray it into the upper mount bearing or underneath joint boots.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
A '97, likely w/ over 100k on the clock?....may be 1 or more of these, if none have been previously addressed...never hurts to replace the mounts anyway, & they can be a relatively inexpensive fix. Good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.