SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Swedespeed! This community has helped me many times over the years with various issues and I’m back with another strange one. Any help is always appreciated.

On my 3013 C70 w/ 76k miles, whenever I go from drive to reverse or visa versa then push the throttle I get a creaking/springing sound from the front end of the vehicle. It only happens from a dead stop and only when accelerating. There is no clunking or other noises and it happens in all wheel positions. This sound is easily replicated and getting louder and more pronounced. I have posted a video of the issue below. Nobody - including my Volvo dealership mechanics can explain it. They say everything looks good underneath. I do have slight vibrations while at idle while in Drive that go away when the transmission is moved to Neutral or Park. Dealer says mounts are good and vibrations are “normal”. I have no other drivability issues just this sound that nobody can figure out. Any ideas before I start blindly replacing parts?

I will also mention that I did have one issue a few weeks ago where I was cruising at about 45 mph and went to accelerate and when I hit the pedal I did not get a response until I released it and depressed it again. I figured it was a one time software/computer glitch but maybe it’s connected to this issue somehow?

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i / 2007 C70 T5
944 Posts
hmmmm. this sounds weird. Sounds kinda similar to the turbo wastegate rattle my old S40 had. But it only did it while coasting in gear at ~25-35 mph.

Try blipping the throttle in neutral while the car is moving slowly. If it does it, then suspension is ruled out. it would come from the drivetrain.

Or try doing the same thing you did in the video, but this time with the transmission in manual mode and 3rd gear selected. Automatic vehicles have limited boost on 1st and 2nd gear.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmmm. this sounds weird. Sounds kinda similar to the turbo wastegate rattle my old S40 had. But it only did it while coasting in gear at ~25-35 mph.

Try blipping the throttle in neutral while the car is moving slowly. If it does it, then suspension is ruled out. it would come from the drivetrain.

Or try doing the same thing you did in the video, but this time with the transmission in manual mode and 3rd gear selected. Automatic vehicles have limited boost on 1st and 2nd gear.
Okay, I tired that this morning. It is happening in all gear positions and is contingent upon the vehicle moving or settling into a position. So, I’m leaning toward a suspension related issue. I’ve also noticed after very carefully listening that when I put the vehicle in park if it settles forward after releasing the brake it also does very faintly. I just can’t understand what would make such a strenuous springing like sound in the suspension but have no knocks or other noises. CV axle or torque converter maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2007 S40 2.4i / 2007 C70 T5
944 Posts
Okay, I tired that this morning. It is happening in all gear positions and is contingent upon the vehicle moving or settling into a position. So, I’m leaning toward a suspension related issue. I’ve also noticed after very carefully listening that when I put the vehicle in park if it settles forward after releasing the brake it also does very faintly. I just can’t understand what would make such a strenuous springing like sound in the suspension but have no knocks or other noises. CV axle or torque converter maybe?

I don’t think its the torque converter. If that’s the case, then the sound would be linear with RPMs.

About suspension, that could be coming from bushings. Most likely from the control arms.

·
Registered
348 Posts
It's hard to hear in the video, but a bushing makes sense to me too. Only other thing I could think of would be a motor mount - but mine never made noise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts