SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my R has developed a creaking sound outside of the passenger compartment (along with squeaking in the steering wheel). very audible when the windows are down. Heard it leaving from work a few days ago while I had the windows down. I recently replaced the control arm bushings on both sides of the car. Any ideas on what might be making a creaking noise while turning the wheel? It's most definitely a loaded suspension part but i haven't had time to put it on the lift lately to check out underneath.

Thanks!
Soapy

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
You might also look at the sway bar end links - although they normally will give you a different noise, they can still make a lot of noise in slow speed turns under chassis load...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have IPD springs and they are creaking at the bottom spring seat. Sick of the noise so will lube the bottom coil or remove the rubber tubing on the last coil. I would check the top spring seat as well. With the wheel off I can grab the spring and make it creak.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Turned out to be mostly the upper spring seat for my creak. I loosened the the top three bearing plate bolts and moved the plate in such a way that the creaking stopped. It didn't take much movement. Hopefully the creak stays away.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might also look at the sway bar end links - although they normally will give you a different noise, they can still make a lot of noise in slow speed turns under chassis load...
I actually replaced those first after i bought the car so I'm hoping it's not them! lol. I'm hoping I can put it in the air on wednesday and see if I can't spot anything out of the ordinary

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I just had this issue after my motor swap. Just solved it earlier today. May or may not be the same issue. The control arm bolt/ nut that runs all the way through the control arm and subframe was just loose enough that when turning and shifting weight it would pop and creak. Sounds like you just had the control arms off. Check and make sure those are tight like tighter than you think it needs to be.

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Im hearing clicking when I turn the wheels to the left. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So as I was driving back from the old lady's house yesterday I took main street, had the windows down music up. on a whim I turned the music down and sure enough every small bump or dip in the road I could hear the squeaking. I'm wondering if it's the springs or sway bar mounts on the subframe. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
93 Posts
My squeaking was the bearing that popped out of the boot above the pedals in the footwell? Do you also hear a lot of turbo compressor noise? Take a peak down there.

Now, I've also got new clicking in the steering, worse when turning left, coming roughly from the pass. side. Grrr.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
It's not going to be steering boot related if it is related to bumps. You need to get the caR up in the air and shake the front end down. Move the wheel side to side and up and down. There should not be any movement. There's so many components down there that could be bad it's useless to guess. Top hats/ bearings, end links, ball joints, tie rods, etc...

·
Registered
505 Posts
Sway bar bushings. Throw some lithium grease on them and see if the noise subsides. Mine needs new bushings after a few years with ipd front bar. The rear seems fine, but the front needs replacing ever so often. The poly bushings get hard and creak.

·
Registered
88 Posts
It's not going to be steering boot related if it is related to bumps. You need to get the caR up in the air and shake the front end down. Move the wheel side to side and up and down. There should not be any movement. There's so many components down there that could be bad it's useless to guess. Top hats/ bearings, end links, ball joints, tie rods, etc...

This.
It wasnt until the strut was out the car that full extent of wear was apparent to the strut bearing. It was absolutely rooted.

Jack her up and wiggle everything with a pry bar.

When was the suspension last done?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
242 Posts
So my R has developed a creaking sound outside of the passenger compartment (along with squeaking in the steering wheel). very audible when the windows are down. Heard it leaving from work a few days ago while I had the windows down. I recently replaced the control arm bushings on both sides of the car. Any ideas on what might be making a creaking noise while turning the wheel? It's most definitely a loaded suspension part but i haven't had time to put it on the lift lately to check out underneath.

Thanks!
Soapy
end links...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts