SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can drive over many bumps, and turns and no sound...car sounds solid, but some bumps and I hear this rubbing or creaking sound from the drivers side door. Any suggestions? Car is brand new, wondering if this is just the car breaking in or it will get worse. It's pretty audible.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Here in USA there is a Technical Journal that I have successfully applied for this and may work for you. In the car I used it on, the noise sounded like it was coming from the B-pillar and would happen when going over very large bumps (large enough to torque the body) and when turning one direction.

Basically, grease the door lock/latch assembly.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here in USA there is a Technical Journal that I have successfully applied for this and may work for you. In the car I used it on, the noise sounded like it was coming from the B-pillar and would happen when going over very large bumps (large enough to torque the body) and when turning one direction.

Basically, grease the door lock/latch assembly.
Took someone from the dealer for a ride, they heard it. Took my car immediately into service (great customer care) and applied something to the door jams, they had a tough time translating it to me. They told me it would take 3 days to dry. It's been 4 days now, the noise seems to be gone. They said that it's a permanent fix. Would be very happy if that is the case..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you confirm it was the door jams and not the door lock mechanism?
I wish I could, it's so hard to tell when you are driving without getting into an accident. When the sales manager was explaining it to me, he was pointing along the rim of the door jam... not at the lock mechanism. I have also heard a very slight creak from the waterfall... and have read a previous thread on an easy fix for that. For the most part, with the stereo on and normal driving.. car is rock solid and don't hear a thing... but these little things could turn into big things, and so it's better to take care of it now.

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
I have also heard a very slight creak from the waterfall... and have read a previous thread on an easy fix for that. For the most part, with the stereo on and normal driving.. car is rock solid and don't hear a thing... but these little things could turn into big things, and so it's better to take care of it now.
You recall the thread title? I've heard a slight creak from what appears to be the A-pilar, dash area, possibly more toward the passenger side.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Driving right now, but thy referred to it as a creak from the waterfall dash if you want to search. As soon as I can, I will dig thru my history

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got to Volvo, they are going to install the external styling kit, tire pressure monitor, and check the noise from the door, dash, and back. The door has been quiet, back is from the cover (when it's closed it makes a slight noise), and the click is from the dash. Normal driving, cannot really hear anything and the car is really rock solid.. Only reason I heard it is because of the original loud noise that caused me to ride around with the stereo off. I'm glad it's all getting resolved now tho 2 weeks in..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You recall the thread title? I've heard a slight creak from what appears to be the A-pilar, dash area, possibly more toward the passenger side.
Here you go Chris http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...e-waterfall-console&highlight=waterfall+noise

There is another thread by Starbuck202 http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...-What-50000-Gets-You-S60-spawn-of-Satan/page9 which may or may not be relevant.

I think the fix is "There is a Tech Journal out there for a fix that involves felt tape on the back side of the waterfall."

I will update when I get my car back tmr...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got my car back today, no chance to drive it yet... external styling kit looks amazing. Will go for a spin on the weekend, hoping no abnormal noises..

·
Registered
191 Posts
I can definitely help with this issue because I have been fighting it for 1.5 years. There are 3 different things that can be the cause. First off, the plastic door panel will rub against the plastic/rubber molding on the door frame of the car. To test for this, find some uneven ground like a driveway that causes the creaking. Open the door slightly when going over. If it goes away this is probably the cause. You can use some silicone spray which will help. Second thing to try is open the door and grab onto the door panel handle. Gently but firmly move the door panel and see if it creaks against the metal frame of the door. If it creaks this is harder to fix. You can use some shims (cardboard works ok) and place them in the areas that creak. Third thing is to lubricate the latches. The latches can cause creaking as well. Volvo also told me to tighten the alan key screws where the door attaches to the car. Each time I took my car into Volvo for this they would do these things and it would help for awhile but it always comes back.

My car had the waterfall fix which helped the cracking noises but it does not fully take them away. Over time it has gotten worse. Every time I brake, accelerate, turn corner or go over bumps my waterfall cracks. My car seems to be a lot worse than most though. Right now when I brake hard I hear at least 10 different creaks, snaps, cracks coming from all different areas in the dash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts