SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hear a creaking noise coming from the driver's side B-pillar of my 2012 S60 T5, primarily when I go over a bump or make a turn. It's really annoying. Any idea what it might be? Should I just take it into the dealerhip to have them check it out? I guess I'll have to bring it in soon anyway for the wire harness recall.

Otherwise, I've had no problems with my car and I'm very pleased with it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My understanding was that the wiring harness recall only applied to the R-Design S60??

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From the press release:

VOLVO IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2012 S60, XC60, S80 AND XC70 VEHICLES MANUFACTURED FROM MAY 16, 2011, THROUGH OCTOBER 6, 2011. IN THESE VEHICLES, THE WIRE HARNESS UNDER THE FRONT SEATS MAY HAVE NOT BEEN ATTACHED PROPERLY TO THE SEAT FRAME. AS A RESULT, WHEN THE SEATS ARE MOVED TO ADJUST THE SEATING POSITION, THE WIRE HARNESS MAY GET PULLED, CAUSING IT TO DISCONNECT.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyway, back to my noise issue..... :)

·
Registered
712 Posts
I have heard this a few times, it went away when i pushed on the SRS plastic tab on the b pillar.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have this problem as well.

also, if I go up or down a ramp (a bit more steep) I can hear what it sounds like a ball rolling :confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
My 2011 T6 is in the shop for the 15K service. I mentioned the same sort of noise, I described it as a "thunk" sort of sound when I encounter a low-speed bump at a diagonal or heading up a ramp. As soon as I get the car back (which should have been yesterday, then today, and now they just called to say tomorrow) I'll post and let you know the findings.

·
Registered
93 Posts
My S60 t5 is extremely solid, with no rattles. There is a tiny "itch" type noise coming from around the "B" pillar. I have done some looking around, and have yet to find the source. Any recommendations would be welcome. That being said, there was another sound, which I have eliminated. Going over medium but "sharp" bumps, there was a "thump-thump" sound coming from the trunk area. If you look in the trunk, under the carpeted floor, you will find the kit for the tire inflation stuff. This kit is mounted in a formed foam type holder. The holder bounced against both the metal floor beneath it and the carpeted floor underside above it. If you have this noise, you might try putting a thin towel under the tire inflator holder assembly, and something similiar above the assembly and see if that takes care of the noise. I ended up cementing some thin felt padding under the tire inflator holder assembly, and then put the same felt on all the little "bumpers" that are under the carpeted floor underside. No more "thump-thump going over bumps. Very solid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The service center said the noise is coming from the door latch, so they added some lubricant. I'm skeptical of their diagnosis/repair, but I guess I'll have to wait and listen...

·
Registered
35 Posts
keep us posted!

·
Registered
780 Posts
I have the same noise in my B pillar. I have brought this to my garage's attention when I brought my car in for the yearly service and they told my it was something related to the seat !? (i don't remember the explanation that they game me). They said they lubricated it, but I obviously it wasn't that...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have incessant creaking at the upper portion of the driver's door. If I cram my finger between the door seal and the plastic trim around the window, the creaking stops. When I remove my finger, it comes back in about 1 minute. I've tried the Shin-Etsu grease from my local Honda dealer as well as having a WI dealer adjust the strike plate. None of these worked.

My car goes in tomorrow for its 30K service and that's just one of the issues I'm going to have them look at.

Also being looked at tomorrow:

- wear on front seat lower side bolsters (beechwood brown interior)
- noisy (whining/moaning) A/C compressor
- rattling front door panels from bass
- leaky moonroof

If any of these issues are able to be resolved, I'll post my results...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Had a similar problem on my V50 when, was the seatbelt tensioner in the B pillar, made a creaking noise. Was replaced at first service interval under warranty. I saw the bill and seem to remember the cost was over a $1000. Creaking noise was not that loud but really annoying. I suspected there is some form of swing weight that moves when car was in motion, this was making noise.

When they replaced new, still had the same noise, not as noticeable. This went away after a few months, as I suspect lubricant had time to work into moving parts.

·
Registered
289 Posts
On a side note, I picked up my loaner vehicle last night - a 2013 XC90. VERY quiet inside, but the whole center stack and dash looks dated. The 3.2L seems to be gutless compared to my S60 T5 and the exhaust seems a bit boomy at low revs. The ride is very nice and very comfy, though the S60 seats coddle you more.

I tried to convince the salesman to give me the S60 R-Design that they had on display for a loaner, but no go... LOL!! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
yesterday I had a surreal conversation with the sales guy!

he called me, asking if everything was ok.

I said that no... That I was surprised that a brand new car (1 year old) had more gremlin sounds (referring to this B pilar problem) than the car I gave in return (a 11 year old BMW 525i E39), to which he replied: "But that was a 5 series!"

WTF :confused::thumbdown:

if I had a contact with Volvo, I'd definitely expose to them this story....

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Do you guys hear a creak or is it more of a tap, tap, tap as you are moving? My passenger B pillar
has a tap sound (like a metal BB in a ball) as opposed to a creak. I initially messed with the two
10mm bolts that hold on the upper seat belt retainer and ended up over-tightening them. The sound
was gone. Later, I found the correct torque specs (alldatadiy.com subscription info) and when
I re-torqued to the lower values the sound is back. I'm thinking I'll re-do it again and go a bit
tighter then the spec and see if it stops again. Also, seems worse in the morning when everything is
cold (although cold here s 40 degrees F).

The driver side did it to a lesser extent at one time and the noise has not come back on that side
even after torquing the bolts to the correct values.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The sound in my B pillar is the creaking kind. The best way for me to describe it is the sound you would expect if the car door was flexing in the opening causing the door seal to rub. The absolute sure fire way for me to reproduce it, is to exit my wife's drop-off area at work and return to the street. This is done by driving at an angle from an elevated area (crosses a sidewalk then descends to the street). It sounds like the cars body is flexing (which doesn't sound right!!!):eek:

·
Registered
35 Posts
mine is like a metal ball rolling over

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
mine is like a metal ball rolling over
I tightened up the 10mm bolts for the upper seat belt retractor and the
tic-tic noise is still present this morning. It does sound slightly different
(less frequent). I still think this is the source of the tic-tic sound
since in the past I have completely unbolted that part and bolted it back