SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my R on November 7. It's been great until last night. After having a bit of fun on the highway I went home and parked and as usual the engine runs for a few minutes to cool down the turbo I assume. Came out a few hours later to go to the store and there's no boost, the highest the boost gauge will register is ~3 psi about halfway there I get CEL. When I get to the store, I rolled down the window to back into a spot (fairly dark tint at night) and I hear what sounds like a fan but in overdrive, extremely loud.
Any ideas of what could be happening? There's a small shop near me that specializes in volvo and saab (Alpine Motors) that I'm gonna take it to tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely not new it's an 04. Got it at a small dealership but came with a short aftermarket warranty I plan to take advantage of. Just seeing if someone has any insight as this has happened over the weekend and anxiety rises when you can't do anything and have to wait.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I feel for you. There are I believe quite a few things that may cause this. Possibly from vacuum lines, to may be blowing the turbo itself. Do you notice excessive smoke coming out of the tail pipe? best of luck, I hope it's not too painful. I'm curious of what the fix will be.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Check the charge air pipe or the pipe that runs over the engine and make sure it is still seated correctly on the vband at the turbo

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My first thought was that maybe a vacuum line came loose or something but the fan running has thrown me off. I plan to check the various hoses/pipes if the rain lets up.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Check for leaks since leaks can cause these high whine sounds like you descrive, since you got a CEL the fastest way to deal with your problem is to scan the car with vida-dice and you will know whats causing the problem. Is it blowing white smoke on startup, if not your turbo is maybe still good, look for plays in the shaft by removing intake elbow but before doing that i would check for leaks first, a smoke test could detect any leak in your system.

Vaccum lines are often an issue and even the TCV could be bad, it sounds like a leak, leaks can cause very low boost issues since all the pressure exits somewhere else.

If you dont have a vida-dice already, invest in one it will save you tons of money because you wont have to go to the shop everytime you need to scan the car.

·
2,521 Posts
If the fan is running Id say it is the iat/bps

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No smoke at all. Where should I buy this vida-dice?

To answer Hanks' question: it's been unseasonably warm here in SW Ohio ( 70° this morning, hasn't been below freezing in a while. The fan sounds exactly like a jet engine.

·
2,521 Posts
No smoke at all. Where should I buy this vida-dice?

To answer Hanks' question: it's been unseasonably warm here in SW Ohio ( 70° this morning, hasn't been below freezing in a while. The fan sounds exactly like a jet engine.

Oi Im in NE Ohio, next to Akron. If you need some help lemme know, I got a vida/dice

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Smoke test refers to putting smoke under pressure into the intake system to look for leaks.
I'm familiar with smoke testing a vacuum system for leaks, I was answering a question about smoke on start up.

The shop can't get me in until next week sometime so I'm just gonna get a vida-dice and see what I can pull off myself. Since the sensor is not terribly expensive I may grab one and cross my fingers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This is now a full blown mystery. I pulled my GTO out of winter storage since the SR isn't right. My wife took the Goat to work so I had to drive the R to the store. While pulling up to a red light I notice the far right lane was open so I popped over two lanes and the light turned green. I went from 5th to 3rd and the thing took off like a rocket, full boost back. When I started the car to go home, no CEL. Freaky...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Your car is going into limp mode. You need vida and some diagnosis. I've been there and done this. Many many times

From my electronic gismo- Galaxy S6

1 - 19 of 19 Posts