SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short. I once drove a 1998 Volvo V70 tdi which I have sold. I really missed the car and decided I would get a Volvo again in the near future.
But I wanted to upgrade so I decided to find myself a 2.5T/2.4T/T5. And I got A T5 for 1250 bucks.

I still remember standing next to it. I wasn't sure if this was the right car for me. It looked OK but needed attention. No service history and so on.
The owner had put it up for sale only 1 day earlier. I was the first one to get there. I wanted to test the car and see if it drove. And off we went.

The first feeling in this car god damn. 2nd to 3rd to 4th gear. What was this sorcery and especially in a Volvo? It pulled like a rocket eventhough it was stock. The seats were comfy jet kind off sporty. The car had almost all the options and the stereo played wonderful. I had done the bargain of the century.
As if it was my own child I did the services and repairs it didn't get the previous 15 years.
The engine, drivetrain, interior and exterior got everything it needed.

Stage 1 was completed and I wanted to upgrade it after my road trip to Hungary. The car took me 6000km around Europe like a train. The power output on the highway through mountains made you feel like a true king.

But then disaster struck. I got involved in a car accident. Someone decided to hit me because he thought I tried to cut him off (which wasn't my intention). He hit my rear, kept his foot on the gas pedal and hit me a second time on my driver's door. I had no idea what was happening but the Volvo stayed nice and sturdy on the road although I had to do some crazy oversteering. I got hit a 3rd time and I tried to oversteer as much as I could. The last slam of the counterparty was way too hard and I rolled the Volvo 3 times at a speed of 110KM/H.

I had a severe whiplash, injuries to my back, 2 knees with broken meniscus, severe nerve pain in my face (it wants to make you hit your head on a wall), some more minor injuries... I still suffer from most of these injuries today (1.5 years later), it's from day to day.
But I am really glad I was in this Volvo. It is amazing how most of the car was bent (eventhough the car looks ok in the pictures) but the "roll cage" where the passengers were in was almost 100% intact.

The only good thing about this crash was a female friend that I had called rushed to the accident. I already was buckled up in the ambulance. She came into the ambulance and without saying anything we had our first kiss after 8 years of knowing eachother. And now 1.5 years later we're still proudly together.

I was also able to buy another C70 T5. Since you only live once I tuned it immediately installed everything I ever wanted on this car. It's running over 300HP right now. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,514 Posts
That sounds like a movie... Some crazy people out there! Glad you're ok.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Nice.

·
Registered
6,921 Posts
1. This is why I have a Dash Camera in my car.
2. Did they catch the idiot? Was he Prosecuted?
3. I got a free tote bag from Volvo for my "Volvo Saved My Life" Story. Write Customer support and share the story + pictures.

My car T-Boned between 65-100MPH (100KM/H to 160KM/H) by an SUV . Family member was driving it at the time. Both occupants walked away from the crash.

Glad you're "OK".

Rolling a car sucks. Been there done that. Don't want a second T-Shirt.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
That sounds like a movie... Some crazy people out there! Glad you're ok.
Unfortunate that the accident happened but glad you are well and a happy ending all around!
1. This is why I have a Dash Camera in my car.
2. Did they catch the idiot? Was he Prosecuted?
3. I got a free tote bag from Volvo for my "Volvo Saved My Life" Story. Write Customer support and share the story + pictures.

My car T-Boned between 65-100MPH (100KM/H to 160KM/H) by an SUV . Family member was driving it at the time. Both occupants walked away from the crash.

Glad you're "OK".

Rolling a car sucks. Been there done that. Don't want a second T-Shirt.

I was driving on the highway in the right lane. In the left lane there was a car ahead and also a car behind me. The car in front was around 32 feet ahead, the car behind 26 feet.
Anyway, these cars were travelling at a constant speed. But the right lane is always the slower lane. So I wanted to get onto the left lane. I looked in my side mirror, saw the car behind me, also looked physically by turning my head. Just to be sure no car was there. I used my turning lights and off I went to the left lane.
The last things I remember was my rear getting hit by the car behind me. The guy obviously had started speeding. But I was already by 75% on the left lane with my Volvo.
Instead of braking the guy kept accelerating and hit my driver's door a second time. My car kept going sideways eventhough I was oversteering as a maniac.
I suspect my car didn't get out of this sideways motion and my car pushed his car to the road divider. He stept on his brakes and turned his steering wheel to the right as far as he could to avoid hitting the traffic divider. I remember the car received a last final uncontrollable hit and up I went on the traffic divider. As the car got right angled the guy hitted me one last time (the front of his car was damaged). I took 3 rolls and crashed onto the emergency lane.

In one of the rolls (last roll I guess) I remember my head hitting my roof (T-bone) and I blacked out for a few seconds. The engine of the Volvo was still running. My car looked intact to be honest as I was still in the driver's seat. During the rolls I wasn't sure what was happening was even real. But it was. I guess 10-15 seconds after the car came standstill I realised what happened.
I stopped the engine, I climbed out of the wreck. Started looking at the my car and I was in disbelief. The opposite party was standing next to his car 250 feet away.
I ran up to the guy and asked (screamed) why he had started speeding.
His answer was I was the 3rd car changing lanes in front of him and he was sick of it. I went totally nuts after this answer. He also sent off 3 witnesses before as I was still in the car.

I got back to my car and as my status of shock and adrenaline ended and I kind of passed out next to my car. I called my parents and my girlfriend. The opposite party was making a phone call too. He ended his conversation and came up to me with insurance papers and said I needed to fill them in stating I hit his car. He was in a hurry and needed to go.
This literally blew me away. Words can't describe how/what I sweared to this guy. He said no authorities needed to get involved.

I had to call the authorities myself. I was lucky I wasn't heavily injured or I could've been dead thanks to this guy.

To be honest in the end. I have done some sort of dick move like this towards other drivers before my accident. But I always braked just before a collision eventhough I know it's a bad thing to do that could actually kill both parties. And even if I would've hit another driver like this guy hit me. I would be startled and ashamed of myself. But not helping a person after a crash with this impact just questions me the whole time. What if I was bleeding to death and didn't get out of the car by myself? He probably even wouldn't have come up to my car to check up on me.

I guess I had to deal with a dangerous lunatic in the wrong place on the wrong time. The case is off to court now. Since I made a manoeuvre to the left lane (and I was 75% already there) things won't be too positive for me. Besides the fact he didn't offer any help does nothing to the fact I did a manoeuvre. We didn't find any witnesses.

A few months ago I was waiting at a stop light and this piece of scum pulled up next to me. The guy was laughing dirty in my face. I tried not to lose my mind and I succeeded.
My inner me tells to get revenge, but my common sense and the people around me tell me not to waste my time/money/effort to scum like this guy.
Karma comes around one day. And I already took peace there is the chance I won't win my case in court. I have to suck this one up and proceed.
This accident changed me a lot. Not because of my injuries but on my view to things in life and traffic. I still suffer from my injuries (insomnia like this particular night), but mentally I became a stronger person.

I can still listen to music, smell the grass in summer, work on my cars, hold my girlfriend, go to friends, have a beer, walk my dog out, I can still do my job...
I'm able to live just like before. I still live. Everyday I read the newspaper and see people who died in a far more simple accident or lost limbs.
Then I try to relax and think to myself. You were one lucky guy to crash in that Volvo T5.

If you want to speed or race, do it if the situation lets you to. My accident can't be blamed to speeding. But I still speed and race from time to time. But much more secure and attending then ever before.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts