SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I took a traffic circle too quick today and my front right wheel took all the impact. Right control arm bushings are are shot, and one is physiccaly broken and the subframe where the control arm attaches too has become bent. So now I'm looking at quite a big job in my garage. However are all thr subrame the same on all p2's? And anyone who has swapped subrames, anything I should watch out for?

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
It's probably totaled from an insurance standpoint... But swapping a subframe isn't that terrible. Jack up the engine/trans unbolt everything and do it backwards.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Erie wants $700 for it and l will need a lot more parts other than just the subframe, so I bit the bullet and called my insurance. They probably will total it, looks like its time for an m66

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
If you do try to fix it, there are lots of r spec parts. The steering rack is r specific as R's have a quicker steering ratio.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just buy another one, these are cheap cars now!

·
Registered
829 Posts
Good news is that it shouldn't be totaled. I had to have the subframe along with about 10 other large and expensive things replaced through insurance and they covered everything, granted it took 7 weeks for me to get my car back, but that's a different story.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Good news is that it shouldn't be totaled. I had to have the subframe along with about 10 other large and expensive things replaced through insurance and they covered everything, granted it took 7 weeks for me to get my car back, but that's a different story.
How long ago was that? What the insurance company was willing to pay several years ago may not be the same today as our cars depreciate. General rule of thumb is that when the repair costs approach 50% of the cost of the car it gets totaled.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They won't total unless its $7500+ worth of repair. The quote I got was for around 5 grand to replace everything. I will not be going through insurance . A fellow member thankfully is willing to sell me what I need so I'll be back on the road soon!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Subframe is super easy to fix/replace. If you lived closer, we literally have a pile of them laying around to choose from. Just support the engine (harbor freight sells an engine support tool for $80) or borrow one from a friend. trying to hold up the engine and trans with a jack is no fun. Unbolt the steering rack and let it hang, same with the exhaust hangers (and be aware of the brake lines that pass under the exhaust).. Bottom torque mount, front and rear engine mounts are 15mm nuts, easy to remove. simply unbolt the ball joint nuts and disconnect the sway bar links off each side and it literally drops right out... I usually just drop it onto a dolly ($20 wooden one) (while engine supported, and a jack on each side of the car) lower the car till it's basically touching the dolly and remove the subframe bolts. reverse install. very simple.

·
Registered
829 Posts
How long ago was that? What the insurance company was willing to pay several years ago may not be the same today as our cars depreciate. General rule of thumb is that when the repair costs approach 50% of the cost of the car it gets totaled.
That was last December. The insurance company initially quoted $3500 for the repair, but the total end cost was about $5k from insurance and $1500 out of my pocket. Most of the cost was labor and absurd OEM prices for the radiator, ac condenser, bumper, and intercooler. The junk yard subframe was $300 and with labor for just replacing the subframe came out to under $1k if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Looks like I am late to the party lol

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Subframe is super easy to fix/replace. If you lived closer, we literally have a pile of them laying around to choose from. Just support the engine (harbor freight sells an engine support tool for $80) or borrow one from a friend. trying to hold up the engine and trans with a jack is no fun. Unbolt the steering rack and let it hang, same with the exhaust hangers (and be aware of the brake lines that pass under the exhaust).. Bottom torque mount, front and rear engine mounts are 15mm nuts, easy to remove. simply unbolt the ball joint nuts and disconnect the sway bar links off each side and it literally drops right out... I usually just drop it onto a dolly ($20 wooden one) (while engine supported, and a jack on each side of the car) lower the car till it's basically touching the dolly and remove the subframe bolts. reverse install. very simple.
Hey do you still have a pile of these? The V70R I just bought has a big dent in it, doesn't look like it'll affect anything other than my OCD so I'd like to change it.

Wish I would have thought to ask last week, I was actually in Chicago land this weekend (in Indy now). But its close enough

·
Registered
274 Posts
I recently changed the subframe on my 07. Its super easy. Got a subframe from a junk yard for $100. If you can provide some pics with the damage, I can be more helpful.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It certainly looks easy enough, I just have to find a reasonably priced one not too far away. There's a couple local junkyards that have them for between 95 and $125, but they are about an hour away and they won't pull them until I pay. Some junkyards have a pretty abstract idea of good condition, There have been times where a part describe that way is actually worse than what I'm trying to replace when I get there. If push comes to show of I'll probably go out to inspect it before they pull it, and then just come back to get it when it's out. But I saw this thread and I'd sooner trust someone off of this forum. ..

·
Registered
232 Posts
I recently changed the subframe on my 07. Its super easy. Got a subframe from a junk yard for $100. If you can provide some pics with the damage, I can be more helpful.
did you get it from a regular S60?

It certainly looks easy enough, I just have to find a reasonably priced one not too far away
I bought a crashed Volvo C70 from a friend some years ago to repair it, bent shock and subframe. I change them and It wasn´t so terrible.

IIRC you have to remove suspension and gearbox and engine mounts (except the upper one), remove the steering rack from the subframe, hold it anywhere, and that´s it.

I used a pair of this kind of jack to hold the motor while I removed everything

Very useful. And that´s all.

It´s time consuming but it´s not difficult.

I´d never sold the car for a crash like that, unless the chassis is bent.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Im not worried about the work, just finding a subframe for reasonable money, nearby. IMO it should be a $100 part, no more than $150. But I might have to drive a ways to get that price, some of the close ones are $200 or more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts