SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Like many I am having a hell of a time seeing the mark on my crankshaft. After a few hours of searching I think i found what it is... a tiny mark in between two teeth (at the bottem of the "valley"). I am unsure of what this is supposed to line up with. according to this:

http://theeshadow.com/files/S40MY2005/b5244s4_timing_belt.pdf

it says :

"Setting up the engine
Note! Lower the engine until the belt tensioner
screws can be accessed from beneath.
Turn the crankshaft clockwise clockwise until the markings
on the crankshaft and camshaft pulleys
correspond. The markings are illustrated. Lower
the engine until the belt tensioner screw can be
accessed from beneath."

When it says "the markings correspond" does that mean that with the two camshafts lined up with their marks that faint mark on the crankshaft should be pointing up, or is there something to line it up with?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If it helps I have not taken off the harmonic balancer because I dont have air tools and I have seen threads where it does not need to be removed. I do have access to them if need be. Is this the reason why I can't see the timing marks? Any help would be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
484 Posts
yes, you HAVE to remove the harmonic balancer to properly replace timing belt. Be careful, this is something that can cost you couple thousand dollars if you dont align it properly. Make sure you do it the right way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Shadowlord I wanted to double check this with you and see what you think. I got the balancer off and here is what I am looking at. I cant really see any engraved marks on the cam gear but I do see this protruding mark, and when I line it up with the mark on the block my intake and exhaust gears are pretty much lined up perfectly. One is slightly to the left and one is slightly to the right of the factory marks, but only by 1/2 tooth or so. Is this the mark that needs lined up?

Thanks by the way to everyone who as answered all of my questions, I have 2 weeks off before classes start again so I am taking my time and taking a ton of pictures during the process. I will post them here when I am done so all can see the full process.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
You've nailed it & done it the correct way. I was very suspect of your other post asking whether the cam was off a tooth. Leave the belt on (like you've done) until you are positive you can duplicate the factory setting. Add more marks with a Sharpie if you want. Now it's clear that your cam was not off by a tooth. It's just very hard to get a direct line of site not to mention the factory cam marks are on a plastic cover. Perfect, you may now proceed with confidence.

·
Registered
484 Posts
And im sorry for miss information about the mark, i tottaly forgot its actually tooth looking mark sticking out .... sorry

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No problem Shadowlord. Hey on your tensioner, you mention that you rotated it clockwise to set it. That makes sense to me that you would turn it clockwise past the window and then back to the correct position. However, these instructions mention turning the tensioner counter-clockwise first. Could you, or maybe a tech clarify this please?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
If u replaced the tensioner it comes set in it's proper position for the job right out of the box. If its been adjusted once already just turn it back and tighten within the specified range per the temp of the engine. There isn't really a must do procedure for rotation. Roll back to slip the belt on and forward to lock and tighten the belt.

You got the mark on the pump right on. Some Volvos line up mark to mark, p2 engines generally straddle the teeth of the crank gear to the mark.

·
Registered
484 Posts
rotating it counter clock wise means that when you put in on the block and you try to put the belt on it may not go in it so may have to go counter clockwise to be able to slide the belt on, than you tighten it clock wise to proper temperature setting. its straightforward you will see once you put it on.

·
Registered
484 Posts
and also once you are ready to turn on the car you can do it with the car up on the blocks if its properly secured and if engine mount is installed. yo udont have to install the accessory belts. what i did was i installed the engine mount and crank the car without top timing belt cover on so i can see the travel of the timing belt. you wanna make sure its not trying to slide of the cam gears( just in case tensioner or something is not properly aligned( factory bad part)). So have someone inside of the car while you monitor the belt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts