SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I have a no start issue that I can’t troubleshoot.
2004 xc90 5 cylinder turbo. I was driving and after coming to a stop in the turn lane the engine died and would not re-start.

The engine cranks but no start.
Replaced the crank sensor with no change.
VIDA is showing no codes
Battery tested fine.
All fuses are ok.
Disconnected cam sensor and nothing changed.
Fuel pump works, I have pressure in the rail (I have not tested how much yet)
Spark plugs look ok, but nothing out of the ordinary.
I sent the CEM, ECM and my key off to xemodex to get tested and everything tested fine.
I can get the injectors to come on with VIDA (so I’m assuming they work).
I don’t know how to test the spark plugs, It seems the engine isn’t allowing for spark.
I checked the turbo inlet and the compressor does not have play. It did spin but would not freely spin after I stopped spinning it.

Any ideas would be helpful. I will begin to test compression and alternator next. I will also being to check the wiring harness for breaks and bad grounds.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
228 Posts
First thing I would do is check your timing belt, lift up the cover and make sure it's still tensioned

The second thing I would do is check the pressure in the fuel rail, you can use a tire pressure gauge in a pinch. Should be at least 40 psi. On these models, the PEM is located outside of the car under the rear wheel well. They get wet and corroded and end up dying.

·
Registered
237 Posts
i remember reading some guy that had similar issues turned out to be a kink in the fuel line...

·
Registered
2005 V8 XC90
148 Posts
First thing I would do is check your timing belt, lift up the cover and make sure it's still tensioned

The second thing I would do is check the pressure in the fuel rail, you can use a tire pressure gauge in a pinch. Should be at least 40 psi. On these models, the PEM is located outside of the car under the rear wheel well. They get wet and corroded and end up dying.
I second that, since you have an 2004, if the PEM was never clean or replaced it is probably dead and interestingly VIDA will not tell you....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I second that, since you have an 2004, if the PEM was never clean or replaced it is probably dead and interestingly VIDA will not tell you....
Awesome! I appreciate all the advice. I will begin to look over the fuel system and see what I can find.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I checked the timing belt and that is fine. I looked for the PEM and apparently I don't have one (maybe in 2004 the PEM functions are integrated into the CEM or some other computer). Ill be checking fuel pressure next, but I am still waiting to get my CEM and ECM back from xemodex. I will keep updating as I find out more.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I think you have a PEM. At least what I can find for documentation suggests that you do (Fuel control module, item 4/83). There are quite a few changes at the 2005 point, modules and software (new CEM/REM as example) but no mention of a PEM being implemented.

Did this post https://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?588547-XC90-External-PEM-Location a while ago to help with the usual spots where they hide (there are 2) before getting permanently relocated in the car. There's a chassis break (last 6 of VIN) on the part but it's not anywhere close to where your car is.

Bunch of posts around for PEM function if it's an issue and I think it's definitely smart that you're having look at the CEM regardless.

I'm happy to be wrong on this, I went looking around assuming that you didn't.

Good luck with your repair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I checked behind the rear passenger wheel well liner and found nothing. I pulled the interior out and traced all the wires from fuel pump and sender and they all stayed in the interior of the cabin. I removed the spare tire and checked for wires around the gas tank and only found the leak detection “thing”. I’m working on it a little today. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I checked behind the rear passenger wheel well liner and found nothing. I pulled the interior out and traced all the wires from fuel pump and sender and they all stayed in the interior of the cabin. I removed the spare tire and checked for wires around the gas tank and only found the leak detection “thing”. I’m working on it a little today. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
This could be a dumb solution but someone told me that the Car's computer probably thinks you are not allowed to start the car.
Try this. Lock and Unlock the car three (3) times with your Key. Not the remote. It could start.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did try a bunch of unlock / lock combinations at the very beginning of all this. I checked and I have fuel at the rail. I removed the schrader valve and jumped the pump relay. Fuel flowed but there was air bubbles in it and it seemed low on pressure. I wanted to see if I still had air bubbles at the fuel filter, so I attached some hose to the exit side of the filter and I still had air bubbles. The pump didn't have a consistent noise but I could hear it sucking in air. I removed the interior and the drivers side sending unit had gas on the top of it. I am guessing the seal wasn't working when I tightened down that large plastic ring. My battery had 12.2 volts which I think would be enough to operate the fuel pump correctly.

Im charging the battery and will check the pressure from the pumps exit barb (if i can attach a hose there).

Would a dying fuel pump cause a no start?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did try a bunch of unlock / lock combinations at the very beginning of all this. I checked and I have fuel at the rail. I removed the schrader valve and jumped the pump relay. Fuel flowed but there was air bubbles in it and it seemed low on pressure. I wanted to see if I still had air bubbles at the fuel filter, so I attached some hose to the exit side of the filter and I still had air bubbles. The pump didn't have a consistent noise but I could hear it sucking in air. I removed the interior and the drivers side sending unit had gas on the top of it. I am guessing the seal wasn't working when I tightened down that large plastic ring. My battery had 12.2 volts which I think would be enough to operate the fuel pump correctly.

Im charging the battery and will check the pressure from the pumps exit barb (if i can attach a hose there).

Would a dying fuel pump cause a no start?
Yes a dying fuel pump would cause a no start. I had it happen on my BMW X5 last year. Diagnostics did not return any codes or indicate any issues with the fuel pump.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yes, for the same reason the PEM can cause it. The injectors won't fire enough fuel if the rail isn't up to at least 40 psi. So if the pump is barely running or has a crack in some line it will not be able to build up enough pressure to run.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also replace the fuel filter. After I replaced my fuel pump it started by then quickly started running rough. Replacing the fuel filter resolved the rough running. Partially clogged fuel filter may have caused the failure of my fuel pump.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just replaced the pump and it still won't start. I order both cam sensors. I replaced the spark plugs because they were black and sooted up (I'm assuming from trying to start it for so long?). I will replace the fuel filter once I get it running. I will update after I get the sensors replaced.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I checked the timing today and found out the crank sprocket had a plastic bag all wound up in it. I removed the timing belt and discovered the timing was way off. The crank's timing mark was near a 9 o'clock position when the cam gears were at TDC. I am assuming that I have some bent valves. I put it all back together to see if it would start and it still cranks but won't start. The spark plugs smell like gas so I am pretty sure it is a spark issue / screwed up head problems. I still don't have any codes showing up. :/

·
Registered
228 Posts
If the timing was that far off then I'm betting the valves are bent. I would rent a compression tester from AutoZone and test all the cylinders for compression.

If they have compression then just take a cap of motor oil and put it down each cylinder, these engines very easily get lawnmower syndrome and will sometimes refuse to start after a bunch of cranking.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts