SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at the point where I can remove the timing belt but I do not see a mark on the crank gear to align with the tic on the motor. I've rotated the gears three times and I swear, there is no mark on the crank gear.

I wonder,
After I unload the VVT and with the marks on the cam gears ligned up to the marks on the cover again and the gears locked couldn't I get by just by putting a mark on the crank gear and the motor and putting a mark on the motor adjacent to the cam gear marks and making sure everything stays ligned up after the New timing belt is installed?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
There's a mark on the crank gear. It's 2 crank revolutions=1 cam revolution IIRC. The cams themselves don't have to align with marks on the timing cover because of CVVT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You just saved my day. I believe I found it. I was looking at the gear itself and not the mounting plate for the harmonic balancer. I never would have found it without the picture and explanation that the crank makes two complete turn to one turn of the can gears.

Is it possible that one of the balance plates on the harmonic balancer could be covering some of the indicator line?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
The cams themselves don't have to align with marks on the timing cover because of CVVT.
That doesn't make sense to me. The reason to unload the CVVT sprockets by turning the motor past TDC and then backwards to TDC, is then the marks all line up.

The marks on the crank sprocket itself are very tiny and on the back edges of two teeth. You line up the valley between the marks with the timing mark.

If you do a google image search of "Volvo timing marks" you will see dozens of photos of the sprockets from a ton of different angles.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to remove the harmonic balancer to make it easier to see and line up the timing marks.
Does anyone know what the torque spec's are for the four small bolts and the larger center one to the crank?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
That doesn't make sense to me. The reason to unload the CVVT sprockets by turning the motor past TDC and then backwards to TDC, is then the marks all line up.

The marks on the crank sprocket itself are very tiny and on the back edges of two teeth. You line up the valley between the marks with the timing mark.

If you do a google image search of "Volvo timing marks" you will see dozens of photos of the sprockets from a ton of different angles.
I should have said the marks on the cams don't have to correspond with the timing cover. Especially if someone did the belt/seals beforehand and didn't line up the cams again.

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
I'm going to remove the harmonic balancer to make it easier to see and line up the timing marks.
Does anyone know what the torque spec's are for the four small bolts and the larger center one to the crank?
A lot. Don't pull the harmonic balancer its a pain. Just align the marks on the crank gear. Shouldn't be hard.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I didn't remove the H. balancer.
I made progress today. The timing belt, water pump, idler and tensioner are off. I have new bolts for the water pump but didn't know I needed a new bolt for the tensioner. The OEM bolt I removed had sealant on it. Times like this it would be nice if the parts guys processing my order had an idea what was going on and suggest ordering a part that was not ordered knowing that I might need it.

These tensioner bolts have to be replaced with new ones once they are removed right? There is nothing we can put on to seal them is there. This job is being held up because of one bolt. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's a mark on the crank gear. It's 2 crank revolutions=1 cam revolution IIRC. The cams themselves don't have to align with marks on the timing cover because of CVVT.

Hounddogger- I found the two tic marks on the crank gear. Lesson learned, line the marks on the crank gear first then look how the cam gears marks line up. They aren't even close.
Because I lined up the cam gear marks first the tic marks were between the 3 to 4 o-clock position on the crank and was covered by the belt. That's why I never found them.
I post pics when this job is done and the car is running. For now, please see previous question about the bolt. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Well I didn't remove the H. balancer.
I made progress today. The timing belt, water pump, idler and tensioner are off. I have new bolts for the water pump but didn't know I needed a new bolt for the tensioner. The OEM bolt I removed had sealant on it. Times like this it would be nice if the parts guys processing my order had an idea what was going on and suggest ordering a part that was not ordered knowing that I might need it.

These tensioner bolts have to be replaced with new ones once they are removed right? There is nothing we can put on to seal them is there. This job is being held up because of one bolt. :)
I just did this a couple of days ago and did not replace the bolt on the tensioner. I bought a kit from IPD and there was no bolt in the kit and no recommendation to replace it. Why do you think it must be replaced?

Agreed on the tics on the crank. I located one but could not tell which tooth the second was on.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ChubGrinder, the manufacture of the bolt applied a sealant to the threads so it makes me think the bolt hole is drilled and tapped thru to the waterway and without a sealant on the bolt the coolant will seep past the bolt threads.

I was able to find the same bolt new with sealant on the IPD site and ordered it along with some other things for the car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
ChubGrinder, the manufacture of the bolt applied a sealant to the threads so it makes me think the bolt hole is drilled and tapped thru to the waterway and without a sealant on the bolt the coolant will seep past the bolt threads.

I was able to find the same bolt new with sealant on the IPD site and ordered it along with some other things for the car.
I believe that is just thread lock on the bolt.

·
Registered
7,614 Posts
Also thread sealant is available at any auto parts store, it's not special Volvo sealant.

On the other hand, good job for paying attention and trying to do it as correctly as possible, most guys don't.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update, the water pump and idler are installed. Just waiting on the bolt so I can put the tensioner on and timing belt. Man, I hate waiting for parts. LOL

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I asked the parts guy at a volvo dealership what was on the timing belt tensioner bolt and I was told it is an antiseize and tread lock.

The cars running again and no problems.
Thanks for the help.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts