SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On every vehicle I have ever owned I normally throw a crankcase breather filter on to help with overall performance and hopefully longevity of the engine. I was looking at my S40 today and wondering why I have not done this to my vehicle... I don't know exactly where I would put the filter on this engine

Anyways, Has anyone done this to their S40 t5. Maybe I am looking at the wrong hoses to the IP.
Some pictures with examples or reasons not to do it would be great!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Its illegal for emissions laws. It looks like your in CA so its definitely illegal. Releases hydrocarbons and aromatics into the troposphere. Its the reason your fuel pumps have vapor recovery systems on the nozzle. Our cars use you an oil trap and does the breathing for you.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohh ok, sounds like it is definitely needed for these engines! Thanks for the help :)

·
Registered
1,394 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
The PCV system is designed so the air filter is the Crank case filter. The crankcase is connected to the engine side of the air filter at the turbo. The hose runs from the crank case in front of the engine around the passenger side to just above the turbo.

I believe the oil catch tank is part of the PCV system but when the engine gets old if this hose (and turbo) gets coated with oil a catch tank and filter spliced in this line may be a good idea.

After 140K my hose is still dry so the PCV system is still catching any blowby oil.

·
Registered
3,256 Posts

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
slasher my point exactly,

larson, MKD and others will agree that our cars CANT use breathers.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I said that wrong. What I meant was that the way the crankcase ventilation system is setup, is already pretty good and needed as is.
Sorry for the misconception

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think I said that wrong. What I meant was that the way the crankcase ventilation system is setup, is already pretty good and needed as is.
Sorry for the misconception
Good enough for street use but if you are running under boost more then under vaccum (ie the track )you need to disconect the breather hose from the turbo and put in a breater filter so the bad hot air does not get back in the engine. A few extra horses is very importaint in competition and race cars dont need to meet emission standards.

Usually you also add a catch tank for the oil; but i believe the built in stock one is good enough.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good enough for street use but if you are running under boost more then under vaccum (ie the track )you need to disconect the breather hose from the turbo and put in a breater filter so the bad hot air does not get back in the engine. A few extra horses is very importaint in competition and race cars dont need to meet emission standards.

Usually you also add a catch tank for the oil; but i believe the built in stock one is good enough.

My thoughts exactly :thumbup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts