SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, when I first picked up my XC90, it was perfect. Leaving from work one day, I had to go over a big speed bump in my parking ramp with my car at an angle. I heard what kinda sounded like glass cracking in the far back. I've checked all the windows, and they are all fine. I've also opened and closed all doors and windows to make sure they are fully closed.

Since then, when I go over big bumps and potholes, I hear it. It's as if plastic trim somewhere needs sealed or something. I cringe every time I go over a bump because sometimes it can sound pretty bad. I've taken out the cargo cover to see if that's it, and I still hear it.

Anyone also have this issue? I want to avoid taking it in to the dealership. Maybe I'll get someone to ride in the 3rd row seat to try and find the source while driving.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So, when I first picked up my XC90, it was perfect. Leaving from work one day, I had to go over a big speed bump in my parking ramp with my car at an angle. I heard what kinda sounded like glass cracking in the far back. I've checked all the windows, and they are all fine. I've also opened and closed all doors and windows to make sure they are fully closed.

Since then, when I go over big bumps and potholes, I hear it. It's as if plastic trim somewhere needs sealed or something. I cringe every time I go over a bump because sometimes it can sound pretty bad. I've taken out the cargo cover to see if that's it, and I still hear it.

Anyone also have this issue? I want to avoid taking it in to the dealership. Maybe I'll get someone to ride in the 3rd row seat to try and find the source while driving.
Is your car fitted with air suspension ?

·
Registered
962 Posts

if it appears to be louder or present in colder weather than in warm/hot weather then it may be stress or flexing of the sunroof. most vehicles with panoramic sunroof option experience this. if it is i know on bmw/audi the glass can be adjusted and they place lubricant where weather strips meet to stop this from happening.

·
Registered
15 Posts
On my car the plastic covers that are fitted outside the rear air suspension have "fallen down" from the top attachment, my mechanic has re-attached them twice so far. This made a creaking noise when the car lowered itself, might be that it makes noise when going through potholes etc as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm hoping it is just due to temperature fluctuations. Since it started happening when my car went over the bump at a weird angle, it made me think something else was wrong. Hopefully come spring it will go away!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took it in to the dealer, and they "tightened all the doors" and "lubed up the seat tracks" and said they couldn't hear anything. I can still hear the sound while going over bumps, both big and small. It's like there's ice somewhere that is cracking. The sound is generally worse when it's in the single digits or lower.

Does anyone else have this problem? I've say in the 3rd row seat while someone drives and it's coming from the back door, not the sunroof. I hate when a mechanic "can't reproduce the problem"...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Not sure where your sound is coming from but I have noticed a cracking sound every now and again. It is coming from the silver bezel around the upper driver door speaker. If I push on it, it moves in and out.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Took it in to the dealer, and they "tightened all the doors" and "lubed up the seat tracks" and said they couldn't hear anything. I can still hear the sound while going over bumps, both big and small. It's like there's ice somewhere that is cracking. The sound is generally worse when it's in the single digits or lower.

Does anyone else have this problem? I've say in the 3rd row seat while someone drives and it's coming from the back door, not the sunroof. I hate when a mechanic "can't reproduce the problem"...
I think I have the same thing - but I'd describe it a little differently.

Check out this post from a few months ago - he identified the source as a plastic part of the rear hatch assembly. I suspect that's the source of my problem, and likely yours as well.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I have the same thing - but I'd describe it a little differently.

Check out this post from a few months ago - he identified the source as a plastic part of the rear hatch assembly. I suspect that's the source of my problem, and likely yours as well.
I couldn't get the hook piece apart like he did, so I couldn't try that fix. I took it back to the dealership and drove the mechanic around so I could point the sound out to him, as they "couldn't hear it" last time. They took off the black plastic part that's on the inside of the rear door and added some kind of padding/insulation. So far, it's completely fixed!!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I couldn't get the hook piece apart like he did, so I couldn't try that fix. I took it back to the dealership and drove the mechanic around so I could point the sound out to him, as they "couldn't hear it" last time. They took off the black plastic part that's on the inside of the rear door and added some kind of padding/insulation. So far, it's completely fixed!!
Great news - another poster in a separate thread mentioned the tech knew of some documented issue with plastic on plastic contact.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just hope it doesn't come back.

I've also noticed an annoying rattle from the plastic around the rear view mirror while going over certain harsh bumps, but I can't seem to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts