SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, turns out bottom part of the crankcase (B5234T) has tiny cracks on both sides of one of the bolt heads. My engine builder told me he never saw anything like this before and suggested me to ask around. Did anyone ever saw something like this happen before? Is this salvageable with some sort of reinforcement or a write-off?

Finding another block probably sounds the most reasonable thing to do but that's not going to be easy where I live ... or cheap :(

Gutted

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive design Automotive lighting Grey Silver Font

Liquid Gas Rim Automotive tire Tints and shades

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
To prepare myself for the worst ...
How is it with compatibility of the bottom crankcases cross model range? Do 2.5 / 2.4 T fit too? There's a junkyard not far from where I live with a C70 turbo - hopefully a T5 ...

Registered
The bottom of the block and the girdle are line bored together, just like the head and cam cover. You would need to replace the block as well unfortunately, no casual swapping the girdle/mid block.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thnx ScottishBrick!
Line boring was a plan with existing block anyways due to the fact the crankshaft holes were slightly elliptical vertically, so that shouldn't be a problem if everything else fits straight.
Any ideas which engines exactly use the same bottom end (so I can expand my options)?

Registered
94 855 T5M, 96 855 R, 95 854 10V
That is a downer, for sure. Have you tried bildem.se? They are a network of Swedish (and some Finnish and Norwegian) junkyards. Very well organized, reasonable prices. I got my M56 through them.

Looking at your picture the minimalist in me would say 'Put it back together, it just worked fine.' But then, you are throwing thousands of Euros into that build, so I don't think this is a good advice.
Try sourcing a B5234 through bildem. You're already deep in there. And keep the old one for spares.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is a downer, for sure. Have you tried bildem.se? They are a network of Swedish (and some Finnish and Norwegian) junkyards. Very well organized, reasonable prices. I got my M56 through them.

Looking at your picture the minimalist in me would say 'Put it back together, it just worked fine.' But then, you are throwing thousands of Euros into that build, so I don't think this is a good advice.
Try sourcing a B5234 through bildem. You're already deep in there. And keep the old one for spares.
Thnx Clemens - you're quite right. Given the amount of money I'm putting into it, simply ignoring this is a no-go for me. And thnx for the suggestion / links - will come in handy!

Best.

Registered
Thnx ScottishBrick!
Line boring was a plan with existing block anyways due to the fact the crankshaft holes were slightly elliptical vertically, so that shouldn't be a problem if everything else fits straight.
Any ideas which engines exactly use the same bottom end (so I can expand my options)?
All the early N blocks should be identical there regardless of bore

Registered
Just to confirm - by saying "all", does that count for non-turbo versions as well? If yes, that changes a lot - awesome, thank you!
Yep. NA block is merely lacking tapped and drilled turbo oil feed/return.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you need a 2.5 20V, I have a friend close to Vienna who might wanna get rid of it.
I'm sending you a private message - thank you!

Yep. NA block is merely lacking tapped and drilled turbo oil feed/return.
... which is on top portion of the crankcase anyways, so 馃
As usual, ScottishBrick - you've been a great help. I can't thank you enough.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts