SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, caught a sizeable rock on the highway yesterday, windshield is pretty much gone..insurance said they will pay for non brand name glass replacement and said i have an option to install original and pay for the difference, or buy my own and let Safelite install. looking at various dealer prices, windshield for my car is anywhere between 500-700 plus shipping. strangely they all show different parts numbers, and yes, i know there are ones with and without heat, hud, etc..mine is xc90 2016, with no heat or hud, but with rain sensor. which i think comes installed on the glass, so i was wondering how non-oem windshield looks like? it is not just the glass, there is something already attached to the top.
Anyways, the latest part number is 32244983 , that replaces 31442360 or 31468007 if i got this right. the difference between them is about 200. So what really is the difference? anyone knows? Do i have to get the trim and spacers for it, these are cheap though...

thanks!

·
Registered
859 Posts
Hi, caught a sizeable rock on the highway yesterday, windshield is pretty much gone..insurance said they will pay for non brand name glass replacement and said i have an option to install original and pay for the difference, or buy my own and let Safelite install. looking at various dealer prices, windshield for my car is anywhere between 500-700 plus shipping. strangely they all show different parts numbers, and yes, i know there are ones with and without heat, hud, etc..mine is xc90 2016, with no heat or hud, but with rain sensor. which i think comes installed on the glass, so i was wondering how non-oem windshield looks like? it is not just the glass, there is something already attached to the top.
Anyways, the latest part number is 32244983 , that replaces 31442360 or 31468007 if i got this right. the difference between them is about 200. So what really is the difference? anyone knows? Do i have to get the trim and spacers for it, these are cheap though...

thanks!
This is what I can tell you in regards to our 07" V70.
In CT full glass coverage is part of the policy.
Safelite is contracted by the policy.
They would only replace with non OEM. - Fine. I would have to pay extra for OEM.
Replaced glass - rain sensor would not work.
Replaced glass again - again rain sensor would not work.
Replaced rain sensor - did not work.
Replaced glass with OEM. Everything works as it should. Did not cost me a penny.
Bottom line - everything has to work as it should whether replacement or OEM.
Some will say, "but you had to go thru the hassle of several appointments" - I didn't care.
" Each time they take the glass in & out they can damage your car" - No damage, no leaks, no rust from scratching the finish. Perfect job - very happy.
"Replacement glass is not a good as OEM" - Don't know.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i will get OEM regardless..just was wondering why at least three part numbers for the same glass with almost twice the price difference..

·
Registered
32 Posts
You should asked a volvo parts department what the difference is, or use the portal catalog from the Volvo dealers that provide online parts sales. Differences are usually in the notes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had my dealership replace mine and had Allstate reimburse me. They payed the entire claim minus deductible. They used OEM. Even if you use Safelite, or other third party you still have to take it to Volvo to recalibrate the sensors and cameras. When I picked up my car after the repair they were towing in a XC90 that was at Safelite for the repair. The owner couldn’t get out of the parking lot because the car kept slamming in the brakes due to misaligned camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
There are 3 different windshields. 1) base glass (glass only). 2) heated windshield (defroster wires imbedded in the glass) and 3) heads up display windshield (has a coating in it to reflect the image)

·
Registered
70 Posts
yeah, i will get OEM regardless..just was wondering why at least three part numbers for the same glass with almost twice the price difference..
We had a similar issue when my wife caught a rock from a flatbed in front of her. We have USAA and they contract with Safelite for the repair or replacement. The first technician came out and it was obvious he had non-OEM glass (none of the Volvo safety labels and blacked out areas around the cameras were on the glass). He took it back and we worked to reschedule. Insurance company authorized OEM replacement, after I verbally verified we have the HUD. Safelite ordered and provided the OEM glass. The second tech was good and the rep said she would send one of the members with Volvo experience and correct equipment. He came with the gear to recalibrate the cameras and was knowledgeable about Volvo procedures for glass replacement. I recommend you search the forums, as several people had challenges with replacing the windshields and this is what led me to press Safelite And USAA with similar questions. Kudos to the wife, as she loves her Volvo and asked the first question (why is the replacement glass not the same?)!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i went with non oem,since initially geico lied to me and gave me incorrect coverage figures, their reason was "oh, we looked at oem price and thought this is what we will cover". but they went thru all known issues with non oem for volvo and didnt find any for my model at least. HUD would be the different story. Anyways, installed, they calibrated it as well. i did not try lane warning yet, but rain sensor seems to be working. Job was a bit sloppy, the plastic at the bottom of the glass mangled a bit from one side, if you really look close. no leaks after heavy rain yesterday. so we will see...oem would be extra 700 and a change. Although they assured me, both safelite and geico, that if any problems will arise, they will take care of it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I did OEM on our MY19 at the local Volvo dealer and it was $1200. My deductible is $1000 so that is what I paid and my insurance paid $200. Really hurt as the car only had 2K miles on it...

·
Registered
195 Posts
I just had to have a windshield replaced on another (GM) car. Here in Florida, insurers are mandated to replace with a $0 deductible on windshields. My carrier permitted OEM (GM) glass. Ended up being just short of $1k installed. OEM glass is usually more expensive than aftermarket glass. The chevy had HUD, so the windshield was different than non-HUD of the same car, otherwise the HUD may not be clear or may be ghosted I have been told. Maybe that is similar for Volvo.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats an option, but most likely wont help for big stones from under the truck. i was finally able to watch the dash cam video - that was some kind of metal object, about 4 inches long, that got me right at the glass edge and the crack went down, exoshield would not help much here. small chips - yeah...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Everyone approaches insurance claims differently, but personally I would not put in a claim for $200. If you can afford the $1k deductible, I would spring for the extra $200 and pay for the entire repair out of pocket. What if you had other, more legitimate claims in the near term? Sure, a repaired windshield isn't an at-fault claim, but if it were me I wouldn't risk the potential increase in premiums or even a non-renewal over a $200 claim.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It rained a good bit today and now looks like the calibration was not complete since the rain sensor didn’t work. I know the collision mitigation works because it triggered shortly after the replacement after a car in front of us slammed on his brakes. Dunno why the rain sensor isn’t detecting the beating rain drops but looks like the insurance company is going to get a bill when we drop this off for maintenance and recalibration.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I contacted a well rated glass shop and they told me the windshield for my VIN is a "dealer only part". I have the HUD on my '17 T6 Momentum+, non-heated. If you go through Safelite's little wizard where they ask for your VIN, it should tell you everything. It gave me the option of adding $300 for calibration.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Male sure new gel pack was used on the rain sensor (if volvo uses it) that alone prevented my bmw from turning on the wipers.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
so far so good on non OEM glass...rain sensor seems to work, but kinda weird, it sometimes is too fast when it is not really raining that hard, or maybe im imagining things.. auto lights work fine, dont know about collision control, didnt have a chance to check that. Is there a sure way to check rain sensor? like spraying water on the glass or something?

·
Registered
70 Posts
It rained a good bit today and now looks like the calibration was not complete since the rain sensor didn’t work. I know the collision mitigation works because it triggered shortly after the replacement after a car in front of us slammed on his brakes. Dunno why the rain sensor isn’t detecting the beating rain drops but looks like the insurance company is going to get a bill when we drop this off for maintenance and recalibration.
Well...the saga is over. The dealership reflashed the software to fix the “rain sensing” issue but it didn’t take. We recently took it back to our dealership and our Advisor had the techs take the system down. They determined the rain sensor was apparently contaminated during the windshield replacement. I didn’t intend to pay out of pocket and worked through insurance and Safelite to correct the issue. Process wasn’t bad, once I got in touch with the local Safelite manager and he just requested the estimate to clear with corporate. Our Advisor at DB Dulles had already ordered the part and sent the estimate to the Safelite manager. Safelite sent the payment to DB and we picked her up in the rain with the rain sensors operating again! The wife is definitely happy as she likes to have this set in her profile and let it work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts