SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
I had a cracked Mirzam as well, but it got a pretty hard knock.

That said, I've never cracked a rim before.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I destroyed a Mirzam last February. Hit a bridge expansion joint pothole (likely opened up by a plow) at about 65 mph and instantly knew it. Can't seem to find the picture, but massive bend inwards and a crack running parallel to the edge, about two inches in (interestingly, not perpendicular like yours). But, I was able to pick up another used one on the 'Bay. Amazingly, the tire was unharmed and after a close inspection was put back on the new (used) wheel. Lasted the rest of the winter until early April with no issues.

The Mirzams are my winter wheels (got them used some years ago) and have otherwise held up well with all the crap winter throws at them.

The 40 aspect ratio is just too short for the kind of craters we get around New England. If I had to do another winter setup I'd do 17s or even 16s. Or just drive a winter beater instead...

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I have a small dent in one of my Mirzam 18" wheels. It turned out to be a small enough dent that the wheel was fine to use. But when I thought it might have to be replaced, I also found (like one of the posters above) that the best prices by far were on eBay (even for new replacement wheels). (New ones for somewhere in the $250 range, versus $500+, IIRC.)

If you are having to replace three wheels, and therefore intending to buy a full set of new wheels, you might consider changing from 18" to 17" wheels. You will get some ride improvement, not that much loss of handling, and you'll also reduce the possibility of future wheel damage from potholes, etc. One of the 17" original wheel offerings for the C70 (at least the first few years of the 2nd-gen) looked fairly similar to the Mirzams. (I forget the name now, but seem to think it began with an S.)

·
Registered
649 Posts
One of the 17" original wheel offerings for the C70 (at least the first few years of the 2nd-gen) looked fairly similar to the Mirzams. (I forget the name now, but seem to think it began with an S.)
Yes, the Sadira 17x7.5 is quite similar to the Mirzam, and I believe was standard on many S40s. I came across a great deal on four 18" Mirzams, but if I had to do another winter setup I'd get the 17" Sadiras or the Sironas. The Sirona was the 'regular' 17" wheel on the C70s when I bought mine.

http://accessories.volvocars.com/en-us/C70%2806-%29/Accessories/Sections/styling/2011/T5/Automatic#section_wheel

I like how Volvo uses mythology names for their wheels - greek, egyptian, celtic, persian, etc...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts