SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09 v50 which i lowered on v ma-xx coils. Well today i just got a very small maybe 1/2 inch crack on the oil pan. I can see that the previous owner/mechanic has welded a few other spots Where it must have bottomed out. I'm pretty mechanically handy so i wanna remove the oil pan and just have this small new crack welded. Is there a write up or instructions anywhere on how to do this? Also does any company offer a skid plate/ oil pan protector?

Second question. Since lowering my car it has just been eating the insides of my tires apart, both rear and front. Don't know much about camber kits so can someone point me in the correct direction as to what i need to order and install to get this straightened out?

Thanks in advance,
kris

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I have an 09 v50 which i lowered on v ma-xx coils. Well today i just got a very small maybe 1/2 inch crack on the oil pan. I can see that the previous owner/mechanic has welded a few other spots Where it must have bottomed out. I'm pretty mechanically handy so i wanna remove the oil pan and just have this small new crack welded. Is there a write up or instructions anywhere on how to do this? Also does any company offer a skid plate/ oil pan protector?

Second question. Since lowering my car it has just been eating the insides of my tires apart, both rear and front. Don't know much about camber kits so can someone point me in the correct direction as to what i need to order and install to get this straightened out?

Thanks in advance,
kris
Skid Pad:
http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5947/113839-aluminum-skid-plate-p1-s40-v50-c30

I don't believe there are any instructions on that as it's a fairly intense process, removing things like ac, radiator, water pump, etc (as the dealer told me). I JB welded mine.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I emptied it and cleaned it as much as I could with brake cleaner, scuffed it up, and mine's held fairly well - I get a few drops a day but mine's already cracked twice and I don't feel like paying another 1200.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I have the iPd and it's quite thin compared to others on the market. There's a thread on C30 World...Miller Motoring makes awesome looking skid plates in different thicknesses for the P1 platform and is priced better than iPd as well. I believe they even make upper camber adjustment plates for the front suspension...I don't know of any other options for front camber adjustment. Rear camber arms are common and you can find them anywhere on the internet.

Link to Miller Motoring thread on C30 World: http://www.c30world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20232

I believe these are the front camber plates he sells:

http://www.phatboybrakes.com/images/top1.jpg

·
Registered
989 Posts
anyone with help on the camber situation
I have the Eibach arms on the rear and they've been great. It's been about 4 years now and not had a single issue with them getting loose or cutting tires. It was actually nice to be able to dial in the car with the specs I wanted, which I've done in the past. They're at factory spec right now.

Got them from TireRack http://www.carid.com/eibach/item-995346.html?CAWELAID=1498065716&"cagpspn=pla"&gclid=CM_2z4LhxbICFXSSPAod8EMAng They've gone up. Paid $158, they're now $211. Others are much cheaper in price but I chose to go with the name brand just to be sure.

Know it's not much help, just info on my experience with the rears. I'm sure any of the reputible suppliers are fine. Haven't heard much on kits for the front.

·
Registered
7,362 Posts

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
Good Prep makes It work .

OK , BUT : Previous owner/mechanic has welded a few other spots Where it must have bottomed out. ( This could very well Mean ) the Material wasn't Welded Correctly - It will
Compromise the Metal Alloy - If done by an Rookie !

If , You have Pro do the Welding after all that *Time in Removal and Prep* ( Might as Well Go Ahead and have Big Reinforcement Beads - several Laid Down across the Bottom ) Or
A Complete Reinforcement Pc say 1/8" thk - x 5-6" wide x 12 " Welded to cover the Entire Bottom . Pick Up a Used one and then do the same to the one coming Off and sell it on Here .

As there are others Whom could use one . Now that said : One could use a Modern Liquid Metal - Mix and an Additional Plate cut to Fit the Bottom .
( Got to have Very Good Prep ) . ;)

·
Registered
8,368 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts