SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there...<p>new guy to this forum...<p>need help urgently...<p>my ride which is a 240 equipped with a M47 gearbox...<p>today when i was changing my gearbox fluid...<p>as i was tightening the drain plug using nothing but a wrench and some elbow grease...<p>the gearbox cracked at the bottom part when the drain plug is situated...<p>may i ask what material is the gearbox made of and is it that flimzy???<p>the crack is about an inch long and around a hairline crack...<p>is it possible for me to weld it back together???<p>as now the gearbox fluid is slowly dripping out...<p>i tried to stop the dripping by using epoxy glue but it only slows it down...<p>need help badly here...<p>thanks in advance guys...

·
Premium Member
19,953 Posts
Re: cracked M47 gearbox...need help... (ian_lau)

Welcome to Swedespeed, Ian.<p>If possible post some pictures.<p>Thanks.<p>George Dill

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: cracked M47 gearbox...need help... (gdill2)

sorry for the late reply...<p>forgot to take pics...<p>so far the leakage prob has been solve...<p>the crack was situated right under the drain plug...<p>about 1.5 inch long...<p>my solution was to cut a piece of aluminium...<p>seal the crack with epoxy and use that piece of aluminium to patch it up...<p>from the inside i apply some sealant to the bolt...<p>so far no leakage...<p>will remove the gearbox and send it for welding when i change my clutch as it is due soon...<p>by the way the material use for the M47 gearbox is aluminium...<p>so it's kinda hard 2 weld from the bottom up...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts