SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a while ago I took of the engine covers to clean them up and paint them, after taking everything off I noticed that ALL 5 of the ignition coils were cracked. I have never had any misfiring or engine stuttering of any sort, just a rough idle but nothing out of ordinary. Its's been a few months since I took these pictures, and about 7 months that I've had the caR.

1. Should I do anything about the cracks? Maybe epoxy or seal the cracks so no moisture gets in them?

2. What would have caused this to happen to all 5?

3. How much better are the HD coils from the OEM anyways?

Thanks ahead of time!

·
Registered
20 Posts
seems weird that they would crack like that. maybe the constant expanding and contracting from being on an engine caused the plastic to fatigue and crack. How old are they?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seems weird that they would crack like that. maybe the constant expanding and contracting from being on an engine caused the plastic to fatigue and crack. How old are they?
I am not sure how old they are, I've had the car for 7 months and the PO said he did a lot of maintenance work at around 110k, I'm at 150k now. they don't look terribly old so I would guess around then.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
All of mine did that, but I also had some performance issues accompanied with that. Which is why I was under the plug cover to begin with. I switched back to OEM. Are you having any performance issues?

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
Contact IPD.

Edit: It's worth mentioning that it's been quite a while (a year or more?) since IPD last offered their HD coils for sale. IIRC, first they had some manufacturing issue which caused them not to sell the units they'd received, then they were going to go to a new manufacturer and we've never heard another word about it. It would be interesting to know in more detail what has happened with this and whether there's ever been a resolution. Also, it would be interesting to know whether the many original HD units which were sold have been found to have repeat issues like this and whether this contributed to the disappearance of the product offering. :confused:

·
Banned
1,515 Posts
ipd didn't stop selling the coils because of a defective/quality issue. We simply stopped carrying them because we can't obtain them any longer. The original manufacture wasn't able to supply them. We took the design to another manufacture and they simply couldn't make them either. Over the years we've seen the epoxy crack. The majority of the time it has never caused any decrease in performance. If it did, we replaced them.

We're still working with other ignition coil manufactures to produce something that is high output. We have a few meetings set up during the SEMA show this year. I just wanted to be clear, we didn't remove them due to a quality issue.

Thank you

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
ipd didn't stop selling the coils because of a defective/quality issue. We simply stopped carrying them because we can't obtain them any longer. The original manufacture wasn't able to supply them. We took the design to another manufacture and they simply couldn't make them either. Over the years we've seen the epoxy crack. The majority of the time it has never caused any decrease in performance. If it did, we replaced them.

We're still working with other ignition coil manufactures to produce something that is high output. We have a few meetings set up during the SEMA show this year. I just wanted to be clear, we didn't remove them due to a quality issue.

Thank you
curious chris, i got these ipd coils ...i tested them and they are perfect...top is plastic not epoxy so they will never crack ...how old is this batch? and is this the best manufacture that you had?

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
For sale: Rare iPd igntion coils. 10k miles. $1,000,000,000 obo. price is firm. will take less if nessecary. price is firm.
Ill take them! haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All of mine did that, but I also had some performance issues accompanied with that. Which is why I was under the plug cover to begin with. I switched back to OEM. Are you having any performance issues?
Nope, no noticeable performance issues here. They may have been like this 7 months ago when I got the car even so I wouldn't be able to compare to before they cracked. everything seems normal though, no hesitation or misfiring to speak of. should I cover the cracks with more high temp epoxy to seal them better from moisture? Did you notice how long after they cracked that you started having problems? Or you only saw them after the fact.

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
Nope, no noticeable performance issues here. They may have been like this 7 months ago when I got the car even so I wouldn't be able to compare to before they cracked. everything seems normal though, no hesitation or misfiring to speak of. should I cover the cracks with more high temp epoxy to seal them better from moisture? Did you notice how long after they cracked that you started having problems? Or you only saw them after the fact.
I should point out that I replaced the plugs as well. It's possible that my problems were with the plugs.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
I had one go down any updates ?

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I had 2 friends go through sets of iPd coils that were hardly a year old.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts