SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004.5 S40 T5 (with 50k miles) that died on the freeway a few nights ago. I was on my usual commute and suddenly a big warning light came on that said something like "engine temp extremely high, pull over safely". I got off as soon as I could and the car died as soon as I stopped. AAA came and towed it to a nearby repair shop.

They took a look at it and said that I'd need a new engine. I didn't get a good feeling from the place, and since they were asking for $5800 for parts and labor I thought I'd take it somewhere else for a second opinion. They just confirmed the same - apparently the 'expansion tank' had cracked / was leaking so there wasn't enough coolant to the engine.

I haven't neglected car maintenance and I feel like there's no way I should be experiencing these kinds of problems at 50k miles. I purchased an extended warranty (it was a certified pre-owned) and it ran out less than two months ago. I called the dealership that I purchased the car from and they said that there's nothing they can do since it's out of warranty.

Am I completely out of luck? Has anyone else experienced anything close to this?

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
awww man....this totally just bummed out my Friday.
a few months back i noticed some small cracks in the expansion tank and swapped in a new one. i guess MY2005 & 2006 should swap in new tanks.

as for your situation....i guess it wouldnt hurt to call volvo north america hq and beg, plead, yell, scream, beg more.

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Most were lucky enough to catch the leak before they actually lost all coolant. You must have lost it driving down the highway or something because you'd definitely notice a puddle, parked.

This is something I need to do as a precaution. I still have the original tank in my car.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
yeah i agree, call VolvoNA and beg and plead. its a common thing for these tanks to get cracks in them, but idk about you but i always take a glance at my temp gauge in my cluster while i drive, and im frequently under the hood of my car.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Man! That's scary. An engine busted because of a little tank leaking. That's painful!
I still have the original as well. Over 50k now. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it even though my car rarely sleeps outside .

Sorry to hear what happened.

Can't your insurance pick-up the tab by any chance?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spoke with Volvo NA this morning. They said that there's a possibility of covering it through goodwill but they wouldn't know until I brought it in to the dealership. The problem is that the closet dealership to me closed, so I'd have to have the car towed a lot farther away, with the possibility that they'll say there's nothing they can do, charge me the diagnostic fee and then pay to have it towed back.

The second repair place is asking for $5,000 to do everything with a used engine (60k miles). My plan is to just get it running and sell it. There were a few other problems over a years, but this is the final straw.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
wow sorry to hear that.

i have almost 50K and i have yet to have any real problems. the only ones i did have were, a winshield wiper spring was noisy, i had a recall on my rear differencial modual, and an O2 sensor that needed to be replaced.

volvo NA came threw for me when i needed my O2 sensor replaced and the dealer gave me a hard time about it. hopefully they will cover something.

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
I'm surprised that a low coolant message didn't pop on ages ago in which this could have been caught sooner. Even when cracked it should have been a slow leak which the low coolant message should have popped on.

My suggestion would be to tow it to the dealer and pray that VCNA customer care is feeling generous.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I was thinking the same thing as Kyle.

And my '05 has hairline fractures, looks like this is a much bigger issue than I thought.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Also I have Driven on Low Coolant - Years ago in an Older Car !

Also I have Driven on Low Coolant - Years ago in an FWD Chevy Older Car , the Oil Kept it from
Seizing , but No block or other issues .

Sure seems there should have been some Codes Kicked and Limp Mode - Engaged !

Tell the Dealer - that Due to the Fact that they didn't have the Latest Up Dates on the ECU -
Limp Mode - didn't Engage . lol

Seems that would be a Requirement of an Extended Warranty Plan of any Type !

If the Motor didn't Oil Seize - then It could be Welded - read: Heli-Arc Welding :beer:

You must have -Stepped on the Go Pedal , as Vehicle may have been slowing down some , was there any - Poping or a Back Fire type sound ?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Your quote "They just confirmed the same - apparently the 'expansion tank' had cracked / was leaking so there wasn't enough coolant to the engine."....

Are they talking about the coolant overflow? If so, may have to throw the "BS" flag on their analysis. As stated right above, there should have been several codes prior to the slow oozing of coolant from the resivoir. Have driven cars with bone dry empty overflow containers and never had anything more than a warm engine - zero issues. Engine may be shot but having a hard time beleiving it's from the overflow.

More to your very disappointing predicament, hope you get some help from Volvo. GM has been awesome in the past. Recently had a car with 80,000mi and they went halves with me with on a few interior sensors and seat belt tensioner that together would have cost over $1200. My piece was $560 for parts and they picked up the rest which was all labor. Now that's a company who backs their product. Not always the case, but was this time.

As stated, you've got to stand on the fact that there were no other warning codes so this failure must have been a catastrophic malfunction. None of the safety measures designed to protect the engine worked as adverstised. Heck yes, I'd tow it to the dealer if I had any shot of splitting the bill.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.

I decided against taking it to the dealership... I figured it'd be unlikely that they'd cover the whole engine replacement, and that they might split the cost of putting in a new engine if anything (which would cost at least as much as getting a used engine put in at the shop it's at now).

I'm also dealing with some stuff on the personal side and the added stress of having to coordinate everything to get it over to the dealer with no guarantee also made me decide against doing it.

If anyone wants to buy the old engine in the Los Angeles area, let me know :) Only 50k miles.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but I don't see a mention of a diagnosis, just that you need an engine. Sounds like the shop is too lazy to do a compression test at least. Could many things short of a new engine. Usually when a car overheats the head gasket blows. A $1200 to $1500 repair. Or $50 to $80 if you have luck with those sealers. And as for $5000 to replace the motor? Gimme a break. $1200 to $1500 at a regular junkyard, $200 at a pick and pull. Maybe $1000 labor at a shop, a third that in labor and a case of beer if you get a few of the Spanish guys on Craigslist to do it in your driveway.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Maybe I missed it, but I don't see a mention of a diagnosis, just that you need an engine. Sounds like the shop is too lazy to do a compression test at least. Could many things short of a new engine. Usually when a car overheats the head gasket blows. A $1200 to $1500 repair. Or $50 to $80 if you have luck with those sealers. And as for $5000 to replace the motor? Gimme a break. $1200 to $1500 at a regular junkyard, $200 at a pick and pull. Maybe $1000 labor at a shop, a third that in labor and a case of beer if you get a few of the Spanish guys on Craigslist to do it in your driveway.
lol

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Braraaa - Hoo- LOllllooo , Yes there are a few less costly way to deal with it , but Engine Sealer's will : Not work - At All - That's Out !

Pick and Pull , You will be in for a few hours , even If the Guy lets You take a Torch to the Car - loading ,unloading etc. / ( Job for the Experienced ! )

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Coolant - mix

OK, a S40/V50 is either 11:1-1 or a Turbo - which has a Unbelievable - Working Compression .

It might work on a Air Cooled Motor - where is No Water and Low Compression . Now I have seen Ford - completely Blow Water straight out of the side of the Head as Steam -
in more then 1 spot - yet reseal - after cool down changing std. fluids - Modern Gaskets .

I for one wouldn't want to take the chance of that Sealer Stuff - getting Mixed with the Coolant .:eek:

·
Registered
658 Posts
Braraaa - Hoo- LOllllooo , Yes there are a few less costly way to deal with it , but Engine Sealer's will : Not work - At All - That's Out !

Pick and Pull , You will be in for a few hours , even If the Guy lets You take a Torch to the Car - loading ,unloading etc. / ( Job for the Experienced ! )
Not to mention those guys on CL have warrants out for their arrest for fraud and burglary.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
One could By a Entire Volvo from one of the Auction Sites , then take what You need and Sell Off - the Rest . You could break even , and
at least Know it was a running Volvo . read
( Not all covered in Mud, Rust , Oil and other Yrd. Crap . )

If the Owner above - ever comes back gets His Head out of the sand - He would do well to have a - Clean Damaged Block - up for sale . read

( Make a Great - low cost start on the - Dart Cly. Project for someone ) $200.00 bucks

1 - 20 of 22 Posts