SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mechanic just confirmed that I've got a slight crack in my cylinder head. He recommended that I send it out to a machine shop and have it repaired and quoted me at about $2800 for the entire repair. Would I be better off buying a remanufactured cylinder head, or should I just have mine repaired? Does anyone know where I can get a remanufactured head? I really appreciate any help or advice you guys can give.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Have your mechanic check the block for cracks and go from there. If the head cracked something pretty violent must have happened.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Are used R engines that pricey? I'm thinking if you had to fix it, a replaced engine would be cheaper at that price range.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Never heard of cracked head in an R, I would make sure you mechanic knows what he is doing and absolutely have the cylinder walls carefully inspected, they are far more likely to crack

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Cracked cylinder heads on volvo's generally come from extreme overheating. I have seen them crack and usually are never repairable so I question the "repairing of a cracked head"
You can get an exchanged head from the dealer for $2400 but thats with a good core. Part number on the head is 36050243. There were a few different engines that had the same head so any head with that number or 8642543 will work. Or you can find them on ebay for $250, this one is near where I live in NC http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-S60-R-Cylinder-Head-USED-/262040686220?hash=item3d02d78e8c&vxp=mtr

Like others though, a cracked cylinder block is more likely.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
That's a lot of money for a cracked head, and this would be the first case of this I've heard of here. If you haven't severely overheated the car I would highly suspect this diagnosis is not legit.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Depends on how many mileage your car has. When my engine cracked, i didn't even bother trying to "patch" it, I was quoted 2500$ just to change the gasket and to have the head checked and machined. I was able to find a complete engine with only 72000km (44k miles) for 1500$. I think in the states Erievovo has lifetime warranties on all the used parts they sell, check there, but if you're going to spend that kind of money, might as well get her a new heart.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I agree, if the engine has been overheated bad enough to crack something an entire non-damaged motor would be a much better option than patching up a damaged one.

·
Registered
200 Posts
hummm .... my stock investments are not doing well ....

thinking I should corner the market on used R blocks ....

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Hell, until I went through my headache with the machine shop that was subbed to hone my block I was thinking about building a spec block that I could sell at a premium because people could have it when they needed it instead of waiting for months like the rest of us did, lol.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Three3s, I know where you can get a re-built cylinder head that has been machined flat, new exhaust valve seals and guides installed and all the bucket tappets re-sized. Also prior to all this work it was professionally magnetic particle inspected for cracks. The cylinder head was from my '06 engine which was pulled with around 119,000 miles. Let me know if your interested.

However I would first follow the advice of everyone else who has chimed in and have the engine block cylinder walls cleaned and inspected in detail. The work to my cylinder head was done prior to the shop finding a crack in the cylinder sleeve of cylinder #2.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Just a FYI, aluminum is not magnetic particle tested for cracks, can only do that with magnetic metals.

Penetrating dyes are used on aluminum, which is how your head would have been checked for cracks. The company Magnaflux makes a kit for such tests, so shops will still say your head was 'magnafluxed', but if you are looking to sell I'm sure you will want to know the difference so potential buyers don't think you are BSing them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You are correct, the R aluminum cylinder head is a non-ferrous material and it was likely Fluorescent Penetrant Inspected (FPI), however the machine shop that performed the work continued to refer to it as Magnaflux inspection even after I questioned them about it just as you said.

I am not trying to sell the head directly, simply offering to point the other board member to the shop that still retains my old cylinder head that had this work done before they found out that they had miss-diagnosed the problems with my engine and I ended up replacing the whole engine with a lower mileage salvage engine obtained from Erie Vo-Vo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts