SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, maybe it was inevitable, but my wife ran up on a parking block and fully cracked the front splitter and took a decent chunk out of it as well :nono:. I've seen a few threads on this risk but not sure if anyone has actually had to consider fixing it or replacing it. Imagine a replacement runs $2-3K but wondering if anyone has been through this and considered repairing it instead. Any thoughts or info (including pricing of a replacement) would be welcome. I may just take it off (looks like a bunch of screws will remove it) because it looks like crap now.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
170 Posts
IMHO, the proper thing to do would either replace it or remove it. I've heard of some folks who attempt to wrap the damaged piece with a carbon-fiber look wrap, but it doesn't look the same and end up replacing/removing it.

In my old E63 AMG wagon, there's a button to lift the entire car to clear things like parking blocks. Since the P* doesn't have this feature it is going to happen again eventually...

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well, maybe it was inevitable, but my wife ran up on a parking block and fully cracked the front splitter and took a decent chunk out of it as well :nono:. I've seen a few threads on this risk but not sure if anyone has actually had to consider fixing it or replacing it. Imagine a replacement runs $2-3K but wondering if anyone has been through this and considered repairing it instead. Any thoughts or info (including pricing of a replacement) would be welcome. I may just take it off (looks like a bunch of screws will remove it) because it looks like crap now.

Thanks,
Dave
I added the OEM CF front splitter to my 2017 S60 Polestar. I ordered it from a local Volvo dealer for $1,500 plus tax. Shop around, I've seen it for as low as $1,450. Plus, many dealers will throw in free shipping.

https://www.volvopartscounter.com/oem-parts/volvo-front-spoiler-31664468

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all for the responses. Will shop around.

I only took a quick look, but is the install just the several screws to remove and put the new one on? Hoping its that simple.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks all for the responses. Will shop around.

I only took a quick look, but is the install just the several screws to remove and put the new one on? Hoping its that simple.
It's fairly straight forward. You have to drill two new holes. It comes with the hardware and instructions. I was super busy with work at the time, so I took it to a local body shop that installed it for $75.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I tried to take mine off I discovered that in addition to the screws it was also glued by some soft (likely silicone-based) glue. Although it came off at places the glue was still holding the rest quite strong so I eventually abandoned the plans to take the splitter off and decided to wait for my turn of the inevitable to happen...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I tried to take mine off I discovered that in addition to the screws it was also glued by some soft (likely silicone-based) glue. Although it came off at places the glue was still holding the rest quite strong so I eventually abandoned the plans to take the splitter off and decided to wait for my turn of the inevitable to happen...
Thanks captain oblivion. This is what I was afraid of. I wonder if simply warming it up with a hair dryer to soften the glue and working my way around the lip would ease it off. Last thing I want to do it make it even worse.

Not sure I'll put a new one on since my wife hates the stress of parking with it (she won't back in to a spot every time). And it is her car...

·
Registered
655 Posts
[

Not sure I'll put a new one on since my wife hates the stress of parking with it (she won't back in to a spot every time). And it is her car...[/QUOTE]

...I know what you mean....sometimes it gets a bit too close....

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Volvo cars

·
Registered
29 Posts
To the OP, my wife found a pothole and flatted the front right tire and bent the rim. The car was flatbedded and the guy scraped the spoiler and chipped it. IThe piece was only held in place by the Xpel film.
Local Volvo dealer asking $2200 so the prior link to a site asking 1500 might be the way I am going. Or just leave it and acquire more scrapes.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
strapping 8k of carbon fiber to the front sides and back must have been a nice troll from P* to send these cars off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts