SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nothing wrong with the wife's XC, and in 3 years 5 months of ownership, visited dealer and used CPO only once when the car locked all doors with the smart key fob inside and my wife got stranded. Dealer needed 3 days to troubleshoot (provided a brand new S60 loaner) and it ended up being ignition module (Behind the start button).

Is there anything I can look for and get done before CPO runs out?
Under the hood, I do see very slight visible sweating/dirt collecting on the vacum pump, and on lines attached to a small cooler/heat exchanger below there in the same area. Could that be considered a leak to be addressed for example?????
Car has only 29,000 miles.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Go get it inspected by a non VOLVO pro-garage and tell hem to hunt for anything. Anything they can find!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Go get it inspected by a non VOLVO pro-garage and tell hem to hunt for anything. Anything they can find!

Why? Volvo shops are paid to do the warranty work. It's in their best interest to find problems, and they will have a far better handle on what Volvo will need to cover the cost. One of the biggest cash flows for dealerships is warranty repair and factory paid maintenance.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Why? Volvo shops are paid to do the warranty work. It's in their best interest to find problems, and they will have a far better handle on what Volvo will need to cover the cost. One of the biggest cash flows for dealerships is warranty repair and factory paid maintenance.
Well, that makes sense.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
Of course, but do you think another professional shop would not? Chances are good there is nothing they'll find, but paying for an inspection would let you know there isn't anything detectable.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
If I was VOLVO I would prefer maintenance issues after the CPO so they will make some extra money. That is to say ;me paying. I mean why not give me 10 years CPO if they are so happy with findings during CPO. Maybe it’s me not trusting the stealer I always thought it was one big “wanting to make money” family. Still think the same. It’s all about money in this wicked world. Not sure if VOLVO Sweden China is happy with a dealer sending multiple bills -they will never admit it ofcourse. Its a scam imho. But then again I am in the aviation business, what do I know. I would request a third party just because I dont trust them.

(Pic: Great movie by the way)

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
If I was VOLVO I would prefer maintenance issues after the CPO so they will make some extra money. That is to say ;me paying. I mean why not give me 10 years CPO if they are so happy with findings during CPO. Maybe it’s me not trusting the stealer I always thought it was one big “wanting to make money” family. Still think the same. It’s all about money in this wicked world. Not sure if VOLVO Sweden China is happy with a dealer sending multiple bills -they will never admit it ofcourse. Its a scam imho. But then again I am in the aviation business, what do I know. I would request a third party just because I dont trust them.
First... your conflating Volvo with the dealership. The dealership gets paid whether it's Volvo paying for warranty or you paying out of pocket. Volvo doesn't get it's feelz hurt when we send them a repair bill. Customers who get things under warranty give much better reviews and generally are much happier with the entire experience. So there is zero incentive to wait until a customer has to pay in thanks to the greed for money which you call wicked.

Volvo does offer 10 year unlimited mile warranties... and frankly they are dirt cheap in the warranty world. Well why not just include them you ask? because they do cost money. Dealers get charged to certify any Volvo, it's not a free extension. There are real costs on top of getting the car back up to spec. If every certified Volvo had the 10 year rather than the current 5 year then every CPO Volvo would cost more. Since not every customer keeps a car that long, why should they be straddled with the longer warranty cost? When the OP bought his car there were warranty extensions available as well, though with the few miles they drive they probably didn't make much sense. Really you should complain that all warranties aren't add ons. Why should anyone be forced to pay the internal cost added for such liability as a warranty? Just because you don't see the price doesn't mean you're not paying for it.

Dealerships are out to make money, and so is EVERY other business you buy or receive services from. Unless you work for the government, you're trying to make money by adding value. If you work for the government, you just get paid because I'm held at gun point to pay taxes. If you think dealers make too much money, then you are free to buy stock in many of them, so you can rake in on the scam... Only they don't really make more than other business models for a given investment, so you probably have your money invested elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
First... your conflating Volvo with the dealership. The dealership gets paid whether it's Volvo paying for warranty or you paying out of pocket. Volvo doesn't get it's feelz hurt when we send them a repair bill. Customers who get things under warranty give much better reviews and generally are much happier with the entire experience. So there is zero incentive to wait until a customer has to pay in thanks to the greed for money which you call wicked.

Volvo does offer 10 year unlimited mile warranties... and frankly they are dirt cheap in the warranty world. Well why not just include them you ask? because they do cost money. Dealers get charged to certify any Volvo, it's not a free extension. There are real costs on top of getting the car back up to spec. If every certified Volvo had the 10 year rather than the current 5 year then every CPO Volvo would cost more. Since not every customer keeps a car that long, why should they be straddled with the longer warranty cost? When the OP bought his car there were warranty extensions available as well, though with the few miles they drive they probably didn't make much sense. Really you should complain that all warranties aren't add ons. Why should anyone be forced to pay the internal cost added for such liability as a warranty? Just because you don't see the price doesn't mean you're not paying for it.

Dealerships are out to make money, and so is EVERY other business you buy or receive services from. Unless you work for the government, you're trying to make money by adding value. If you work for the government, you just get paid because I'm held at gun point to pay taxes. If you think dealers make too much money, then you are free to buy stock in many of them, so you can rake in on the scam... Only they don't really make more than other business models for a given investment, so you probably have your money invested elsewhere.
It looks like you know so much more about it then me. Also you are in the business it sounds like. I am not. Thank you for the very extensive answer. Looks like this one came from the heart.

Mine just came from assumptions backed up by life-experience. think it helps me and perhaps other SS members to look at the whole thing differently. Interesting answer -I am not cynical at all. Again; interesting and anti-wicked.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts
I'm a car guy and in the industry intentionally. I know there are bad experiences to be had, but I always hope people have good experiences and love their cars, and their dealerships. Not all dealers or customers are created equal though.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I'm a car guy and in the industry intentionally. I know there are bad experiences to be had, but I always hope people have good experiences and love their cars, and their dealerships. Not all dealers or customers are created equal though.
Well- I am on the other side. I am a buyer not a seller. I have to trust. Passengers trust me. I do believe you however.

Sunset Thrust Last Night descending into Barcelona.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I'm taking my XJ for (free) annual service next week. I'll ask my trusted friends there for their opinion.
I'm just not familiar with the local volvo dealer service dept. on a personal level to ask this question directly (They were very good honoring the CPO the one time I went in, and I did not buy the XC from them)
I remember years ago I bought a 1991 Infiniti Q45 with extended warranty . The car was driven by the dealership owner who was a friend. I got friendly with the service Mgr. (maybe because I knew the boss) He was 'proactive' doing things to my car under warranty. He even pulled engine out to change the timing chain guides, water pump and other things that were weak design (but were working fine on my car). Those were the days........

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I'm taking my XJ for (free) annual service next week. I'll ask my trusted friends there for their opinion.
I'm just not familiar with the local volvo dealer service dept. on a personal level to ask this question directly (They were very good honoring the CPO the one time I went in, and I did not buy the XC from them)
Good idea...! Let us know.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MY friend at Jaguar thinks it's worth it. The volvo dealer full inspection will cost $190.
hmmmmmm.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Having just gone through this, I thought I'd add a few bits. Former indy wrench myself and a car guy.
We just bought our 2013 and it's got a few months left on the CPO warranty. I had it inspected at a volvo dealer with a PPI. It was like $200ish. They found the vac pump leaking (said it was very common) and an axle seal. both repaired under warranty before we got the car.
They did a nice inspection, ran ecu for any codes, wrote it out for me; noted brake pads left etc.

There's also the other side, and I've heard different mechanics (with different makes) bitch about this - corporate pays poorly for warranty work. Often less time than it takes them, so the mechanics aren't happy to do the work as they make less money, so they avoid it.
That being said: a) I don't know how that translates to the service writer b) every dealer is different c) throw in different people on different days...and d) I don't know how good or bad volvo is about warranty payments

Here's what we ended up doing, Volvo dealer PPI, and now a month or so before warranty ends, I'll have our local volvo indy shop go over it. Covered by both :) One may see what another missed.
Is a couple hundred more worth knowing the drivetrain is ship shape? I think so. Also if you go to sell it, peace of mind to the new owner. (and if they find anything - fixed)

my 2 c's.

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I still don’t see the advantage for VOLVO them fixing things inside the warranty instead of me paying outside the warranty.

-If I was VOLVO I would find issues after the warranty has expired. Maybe that’s why I am not VOLVO.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I still don’t see the advantage for VOLVO them fixing things inside the warranty instead of me paying outside the warranty.

-If I was VOLVO I would find issues after the warranty has expired. Maybe that’s why I am not VOLVO.

I don't see this. If there are problems deferred to after warranty expires, many people (including myself) will not use the dealer for repairs if possible.
I was also thinking of having a local volvo indie go over the car for me.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Update: I had the car inspected by the local volvo indie, here in Huntington. The inspection was free as a courtesy (was pleasantly surprised), and took approximately one hour, including up on the lift.
As I thought, the car does not need anything done, and is basically in excellent condition. No codes stored, no leaks, suspension, steering, engine, drivetrain, etc. all good.
The mechanic said car is 'very nice'. I asked him regarding fluid change for the transmission, Haldex, differential in the future. He changes on his personal car every 50k miles, so I think doing it every 60kmi will be fine for us.

·
Premium Member
1,878 Posts

You're still conflating the dealership with Volvo. Dealers are NOT owned by Volvo and we don't make or lose any money based on how much Volvo makes or loses. It comes down to good business practices. Granted, not all business follow good practices, but put yourself in the shoes of a dealership.

What will make you more money... finding problems before warranty and getting them fixed at no charge for the customer and then the customer trusts you and is more likely to continue to service with you outside of warranty and eventually buy another car from you with a smaller overall cost of ownership to the customer, trading in a great used vehicle that was bought and serviced locally with a good local story to tell,

or

Screwing the customer over and skipping on a check up and then letting them pay out of pocket a huge bill for something that had been under warranty just a few months/miles before? I would find it hard to believe the later would exist long in today's competitive market. Even if it was Volvo that was making the choice, they'd want to make things right. Look how many stories are on the forums of Volvo doing out of warrant repairs for good will for customers that have showing loyalty and experience major problems.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts