SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the CPO warranty be purchased for any private owner Volvo that passes the inspection criteria? My wife's S60 lease will expire shortly and as we like the car I'm tempted to buy it. Being able to add the CPO warranty to it would make it a no brainer. However, the dealer is telling me I need to turn the car back into them and then they could sell it back to me with the CPO warranty. Dealers need to make money and the idea of paying markup on the same car we already "own" is a hard pill to swallow. I could of course just go trade it on a used CPO on the lot, but the car has a rarer color/interior combo that we really like.

I'm an experienced home mechanic/racer and don't mind doing lite work on the car, but don't want to do major repairs on it (if required) myself.

Also, I don't put much stock into aftermarket warranties and don't want to go there. I would rather fix it myself than deal with that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm not a legal expert or anything, but since it is a lease, doesn't the Volvo dealer still technically own the vehicle?

I think you got your answer from the dealer. If you really want to purchase that specific car with the CPO warranty, you would have to give them their car back so they can do the CPO Inspection, and than pay the same CPO price they could expect to get from anyone else. I'm sure they would be happy to sell it right back to you, you would actually be doing them a favor by saving them the time and effort to advertise the car and deal with the tire kickers, but they are under no obligation to reciprocate that favor and pass the savings on to you. In fact, you kind of lose all bargaining power if you are asking them to not consider selling the car to anyone else. Kind of like the "buy it now" price on ebay.

You could let it go on the open market and "roll the dice" that nobody will out-bid you on it. Or you can pay the asking price (or close to it) to ensure you get the car you really want, and do not have to sweat it out without a vehicle for several weeks/months while the dealer comes to the realization that nobody else in the market is willing to pay more than you. Both are reasonable options, just depends on how attached you are to that specific car, and whether or not you can afford (time wise) to wait it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The whole CPO thing was originally invented as a way to get more dollars out of the sale of lease-returns. So yeah, you'd be messin' with the system. I'm not knocking CPO cars btw. My Volvo is a CPO, but I paid a premium for it compared to a non-CPO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts