SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1) I know the air suspension is the best way to go but I will be getting the standard suspension. Does the drive control modes affect the stiffness of the standard suspension? I had a BMW X5(no air suspension) and in sport mode it would adjust the stiffness.

2) how is the auto temperature setting? When I owned Lexus and bmw I could set the temp and never have to touch it. In my current Audi, I am constantly having to change 2-3 degrees to keep a good temperature.

Thanks for any help. Looking to purchase before the end of the month.

·
Registered
260 Posts
1) No. Only the air suspension has the adjustable dampeners.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I passed on air suspension. It's nice but not a must-have in my opinion, and we have a fair share of bumpy, bad roads. The standard suspension definitely is an upgrade over most of what's out in the industry - very solid comfortable effect.

I have left my temp on 68 and been good up to 90 and down to 38 without messing with it. The automatic seat and steering wheel heat upon startup when cold helps to even out the comfort of the cabin when cold.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I passed on air suspension. It's nice but not a must-have in my opinion, and we have a fair share of bumpy, bad roads. The standard suspension definitely is an upgrade over most of what's out in the industry - very solid comfortable effect.

I have left my temp on 68 and been good up to 90 and down to 38 without messing with it. The automatic seat and steering wheel heat upon startup when cold helps to even out the comfort of the cabin when cold.
With 21" wheels, at first I thought it was too harsh but now I appreciate it more and it doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
With 21" wheels, at first I thought it was too harsh but now I appreciate it more and it doesn't bother me.
I test drove without, then with, then without again. It's noticeably a smoother ride - but I just couldn't decide if it was worth it.

My dealer had Osmium Grey without and Ember Black with asus - every other option exactly the same. I went Osmium Grey mostly because I didn't want a black car (i park outside).
Don't regret it at all.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
1) I know the air suspension is the best way to go but I will be getting the standard suspension. Does the drive control modes affect the stiffness of the standard suspension? I had a BMW X5(no air suspension) and in sport mode it would adjust the stiffness.

2) how is the auto temperature setting? When I owned Lexus and bmw I could set the temp and never have to touch it. In my current Audi, I am constantly having to change 2-3 degrees to keep a good temperature.

Thanks for any help. Looking to purchase before the end of the month.
The weather here is just starting to get cold so I think it's too soon to speak for all weather conditions. But I have found its ability to keep it at the perceived temp you want very good. If you set it at 72 degrees, for example, it it doesn't necessarily deliver 72 -- it delivers a temp it computes will "feel like" 72 based on all the ambient conditions. Perhaps your previous cars didn't.

That said, the thing that's not so great is the fan noise. I never noticed it in the summer but it's industrial wind tunnel loud in the winter if someone sets their temp to "high" or the fan speed above 2 of 5. Even if you're set to low fan speed in the front, if they have it set hi in the rear it will make a super loud noise from behind the dash in the front -- so the rear blower must be based there and not closer to the source. And for some reason on this car the fan speed is independent of the "auto" setting -- auto doesn't control it.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
And for some reason on this car the fan speed is independent of the "auto" setting -- auto doesn't control it.
This. I don't get why it functions this way, but I'm not crazy about it. I've always liked using auto in my previous cars as a 'set it and forget it' type thing once I set a temperature.

·
Registered
559 Posts
1) No. Only the air suspension has the adjustable dampeners.
Really?

I test drove cars with the spring suspension and switching from comfort to dynamic mode had a fairly noticeable impact. It definitely affected the steering (tighter) and transmission (held gears longer / more aggressive) and I thought it felt like it affected the suspension too, but perhaps it just tricked my mind into thinking that it did because of the steering effect.

But regardless, to me, it felt like the spring suspension was more than good enough for this vehicle even on heavily pothole-infested roads.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Really?

I test drove cars with the spring suspension and switching from comfort to dynamic mode had a fairly noticeable impact. It definitely affected the steering (tighter) and transmission (held gears longer / more aggressive) and I thought it felt like it affected the suspension too, but perhaps it just tricked my mind into thinking that it did because of the steering effect.

But regardless, to me, it felt like the spring suspension was more than good enough for this vehicle even on heavily pothole-infested roads.
Changing from comfort to dynamic in non air suspension equipped vehicles will change steering wheel tightness and transmission interaction as you described but it has no affect on suspension. As mentioned, only air suspension equipped vehicles have the adjustable dampeners.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Changing from comfort to dynamic in non air suspension equipped vehicles will change steering wheel tightness and transmission interaction as you described but it has no affect on suspension. As mentioned, only air suspension equipped vehicles have the adjustable dampeners.
Makes sense. I guess I was experiencing the equivalent of a 'placebo effect' then. For some reason it felt tighter to me in dynamic mode, but it must have just been in my head as I interpreted the tighter steering as tighter suspension too.

Regardless, I enjoyed driving the car in dynamic mode especially.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Fan speed and auto setting not working together is very odd. In my original post I was talking about all the auto settings in previous cars. I've always loved the "set it and forget it" auto temp. Not sure I like the idea of the way it works in this car but everything else is amazing so it's not a deal breaker for me I can learn to live with it. Thanks everyone for your responses although now I think I will have to fork over some more money for the air suspension.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts