SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi forum members,

I, once again, am seeking your expertise in solving a couple of issues I am having with my baby. First one is the drivers side door handle and the second one is an old one that simply wont go away, the annoying squeaking noise from what would appear to be the B pillar.

Door handle - I have the auto touch to lock and unlock my doors. The drivers side stopped working a week ago. The remaining 3 doors work fine as does the FOB. I know this has been dealt with in the past. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Do I need to take it to a dealership to fix or is this something I can do myself? If a DIY, does anyone have some instructions they can share?

Squeaking noise - This started over a year ago. While driving at slow speeds (city roads) I hear the annoying squeaking noise in my left ear. It's like it's coming out of the seat belt mechanism. I recorded it and have been to the dealer 2 times now, who says they can't replicate the issue. It's worse when warm but this winter it was making noise as well. Now that spring has finally decided to come to Canada, it's getting worse. Both times I was at the dealership I was under CPO. CPO expired in March this year. I'm hoping that if I go back they will provide some good will and help fix as this was brought to their attention twice while under warranty.

Based on some comments from others here on the forum, they suggested spraying the plastic parts on the door where they make contact with the painted body pillar. I've tried that with no results. Work has recently moved me back into the core of the city, so I now have underground parking. I open my window to swipe a card to release the gate and while driving through the garage noticed that the sound is coming from under the car, not the B pillar. I'm guessing the B pillar is somehow allowing the noise to transmit through it.

Before going into the garage, I opened my door and closed it as well as the rear door while driving slowly and the noise did not go away. So, I parked the car, opened both doors and stood on the rear door sill and bounced up and down a little. The car started squeaking. It was coming from the rear wheel area. I'm wondering if this could possibly be the rear shocks or another part of the rear suspension. I'm confused and really don't know where to look anymore. Is it the plastic trim, the shocks, or something else?

Has anyone else had this kind of noise? You're assistance and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

Shoot, I almost forgot. One more issue (why do things always happen in 3's). Upon my return from a 10 day golf trip to sunny Myrtle Beach on Sunday I discovered the passenger headlamp had some moisture in it. I have not had the time to take the light assembly out yet, but am wondering if others have had the same and what they did to resolve it. Do I need to purchase a new one or is there a way to dry it out and repair it using a sealer/caulking? I have the active bending Xenon lights.

Thanks

·
Registered
525 Posts
diagnosing a squeak can be difficult while standing there ( as your now aware of) , almost impossible over the internet.
Generic answer is a suspension component.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
diagnosing a squeak can be difficult while standing there ( as your now aware of) , almost impossible over the internet.
Generic answer is a suspension component.
Yup, agreed. Looking for a volunteer to stick their head under my car while I jump up and down. Any takers?:D

·
Registered
230 Posts
Get a microphone for your phone with a long wire. Strategically and methodically place the microphone in selected locations and record while driving. Review recordings and see which one is loudest. That might give you a better clue where to look more closely.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Take to dealer. Bring work orders from when the complaints were made under CPO. Also bring along videos. Ask tech to do a ride along. If replicated, request these be addressed under CPO since complaints were made while warranty was in effect.

If resistance speak to the General Manager politely about these issues and see what can be done.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Take to dealer. Bring work orders from when the complaints were made under CPO. Also bring along videos. Ask tech to do a ride along. If replicated, request these be addressed under CPO since complaints were made while warranty was in effect.

If resistance speak to the General Manager politely about these issues and see what can be done.

Good luck.
Thanks, will do. I have spoken to them in the past and am on file. I even emailed the tech at the counter the sound file from my phone the last time I was there. Will be calling them this week to see what they may be willing to do.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
Thanks, will do. I have spoken to them in the past and am on file. I even emailed the tech at the counter the sound file from my phone the last time I was there. Will be calling them this week to see what they may be willing to do.

Thanks for your help.
Bring copy of work orders (if you have) for the sake of simplicity. It'll only complicate things if they have to scroll through your services, find the dates where you complained, etc. Start by asking for a tech to ride along to confirm problem. Show him work orders if problems are verified. If needed talk to service manager to see if he will approve resolutions under the CPO, if problems are identified. Show them video, too.

Again, if there is resistance from service department, talk to the dealership General Manager. Bring those same work orders and videos and politely inform him what has transpired.

Skip the email back and forth initially. If a promise is made to correct, get that in an email or writing, of course.

·
Registered
318 Posts
For the squeak, open the doors and make sure the rubber seal around the door is in place. If it gets a little loose it can put pressure on other parts and make them make noise. In my case the tweeter at the front of the door will make noise if the seal gets loose. It happens maybe once a year - 30 second/low effort fix.

May or may not help in your case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks TheNip73, will have a look at the seals around the doors and make sure they are all seated properly.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quick update.

Printed the instructions for the door handle (thanks T6dude) and couldn't believe how easy that was. Took all of 10 minutes. Followed the instructions, took handle apart, cleaned, put some dielectric grease on and re-assembled. I do believe you guys probably saved me a few hundred dollar over taking it in to the deanship for a repair.

Thanks all, appreciate the help.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Happy to help! Although ecoDrive did all the work, I just pointed to his writeup.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Squeaking noise - This started over a year ago. While driving at slow speeds (city roads) I hear the annoying squeaking noise in my left ear. It's like it's coming out of the seat belt mechanism. I recorded it and have been to the dealer 2 times now, who says they can't replicate the issue. It's worse when warm but this winter it was making noise as well. Now that spring has finally decided to come to Canada, it's getting worse. Both times I was at the dealership I was under CPO. CPO expired in March this year. I'm hoping that if I go back they will provide some good will and help fix as this was brought to their attention twice while under warranty.
Same issue I am experiencing and that drives me crazy. Soon I will be removing this plastic (B pillar) and look at it. Probably needs grease/lubricant somewhere. Will let you know (probably in 2/3 weeks)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Same issue I am experiencing and that drives me crazy. Soon I will be removing this plastic (B pillar) and look at it. Probably needs grease/lubricant somewhere. Will let you know (probably in 2/3 weeks)
That would be great TnoV60. I'm beginning to question if it's not the B pillar or door related. When driving slowly, I open my drivers door and the noise is still there. I'll reach into the rear and open that door a little and still have the squeak. I was driving in an underground garage with the window open and the squeak is coming from under the car somewhere and echoing out into the garage. After parking, I stood on the rear door ledge with both doors open and bounced up and down a little and the squeak was stupid. I'm thinking either suspension or frame related. Just don't know at this point.

I am on file with the dealership and have gone in twice. I may take it in and have them keep the car for a day or two and find what it is. It's driving me nuts and passengers are laughing at my haunted car, saying "so that's what a Volvo sounds like".

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Good luck.
Okay, so reviving this one. Finally had enough of the squeak. It's driving me nuts. Booked some time at the dealership and received a loaner (very nice 2019 S60 T6). So...dug through my phone and found the two recordings of the noise I had made while under warranty (which I provided to the guy at Volvo). I also recorded another one this morning on my way there.

So I arrive, check in, the tech from the back comes out and we go to the car. I open both doors on the drivers side, step up on the rear sill and bounce up and down a little. The car squeaks like crazy. Tech goes "that's not right". We go for a drive around 1 block with the windows open and he goes "I've heard enough".

Just received a call from Volvo and it's the rear trailing arm bushings. The drivers side is done and the passengers is worn. $90 each. SO I say okay, go. Then I find out it also means an alignment at $110. Okay, haven't had one in two years...go. Then he says it also 4 hours of labour at $130/hr. Damn...total bill is $925 plus 13% tax. He called at 2:30 and said the car would be ready by 5:00. How are they possibly going to put in 4 hours of labour in that time????? When I asked him about the math he suggested that the car washer in the shop was going to help.

I mention that I had been in there two times while under warranty and would like some help with this. He says he can't do anything but will print out the two previous invoices where I noted the noise and will write the phone number for Volvo Canada. I guess I will be calling them and seeing if I can get some goodwill.

So...Any suggestions on how to approach Volvo Canada? Should I be asking for 30-40-50% goodwill or more?

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
So...Any suggestions on how to approach Volvo Canada? Should I be asking for 30-40-50% goodwill or more?
I would ask for the whole thing to be covered. You have two documented instances bringing it to the dealer for this very issue while under CPO and they couldn't fix it. Granted, you probably will have to settle for less but it doesn't hurt to go high in this instance in my opinion. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I would ask for the whole thing to be covered. You have two documented instances bringing it to the dealer for this very issue while under CPO and they couldn't fix it. Granted, you probably will have to settle for less but it doesn't hurt to go high in this instance in my opinion. YMMV.

Not a bad idea. I called back and said I would prefer that the tech did not rush my job. They will do some of the work his afternoon and finish it tomorrow. I'll pick the car up late morning. Was thinking that maybe I should ask to talk to the GM and just explain what happened and see what he is willing to do to help. If he's not willing to help, I'll mention that social media is an effective forum for sharing good and bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts