SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like to keep oil filters on hand and I'm always on the lookout for a good deal. I saw a 2-pack of Genuine Volvo oil filters pop up on Amazon for $15.99 with Prime. They were sold by a third party and fulfilled by Amazon. I decided to give it a shot. What I received is actually a bit terrifying. Oil filters are rather critical for ensuring engine longevity after all. I already had a known genuine oil filter from the dealer to compare these to.

After determining that these new filters are fake, I jumped on Alibaba to see how easy it is to get fake oil filters. As it turns out, it's quite easy. This company in Zhejiang, China will even put them in a "brand box" of your choosing.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...l?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.11.5ec23b92fZrGKf

The box of the fake one arrived looking pretty beat up and a bit wider and shorter than the genuine filter.

The genuine filter was in a plastic bag and came complete with both o-rings. The fake filter was loose in the box with just one o-ring.

Look at the difference in pleat density. Genuine on the left and fake on the right.

The date stamp is different on the fake one. It also indicates that it was made in 2014, which seems highly unlikely. They probably just don't change the stamping date, just as many counterfeit products all have the same serial number.

Fake:

Genuine:

The fake one has excess glue on these tabs. Also note the poor quality of the filter media on the fake and the number of loose fibers.

Fake:

Genuine:

This was the biggest giveaway to me. The text on the filter just didn't look right. Additionally, Volvo is embossed on the genuine filter. It's just printed on the fake.

Fake:

Genuine:

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Yikes! I just buy Mann filters - OEM and just as (usually) cheaper than Volvo. Glad you caught this and hope you can somehow report it to Amazon.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yikes! I just buy Mann filters - OEM and just as (usually) cheaper than Volvo. Glad you caught this and hope you can somehow report it to Amazon.
Where do you buy your Mann filters? I'm happy to use any European made filter like Mann, Mahle, or Hengst, but they seem tough to find or more expensive than OEM in the "cartridge insert" style.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Where do you buy your Mann filters? I'm happy to use any European made filter like Mann, Mahle, or Hengst, but they seem tough to find or more expensive than OEM in the "cartridge insert" style.
Actually, the cheapest is usually my local Advance Auto Parts store. They almost always have some % discount and I buy online, pick up in store. Mann filters for the S60 usually run about $6-7 each after the discount. Otherwise, I get them through Rockauto.com

·
Registered
228 Posts
That is crazy. Though I guess not surprising this happens in oil filters just like other products.

Thanks for posting this WhiteT5, buyer beware!

·
3,961 Posts
I don’t buy anything parts related from Amazon, it’s just too much of a risk. I go through FCP euro for everything at this point.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I've been buying Mann filters from FCP Euro for my C70 for the past couple of years or so... just bought oil, air and cabin filter for my S from them this week, along with a grille sticker I got over the free shipping threshold. Ordered late Tuesday, shipped yesterday, arriving tomorrow... and free lifetime replacements :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Mann filters are everywhere. Just stick to those.
There is no Mann filter available for the new 2.0 engine. It's either Mahle or Genuine Volvo if you want something quality. The actual Genuine Volvo ones can be had for about $13 each. The Mahle are about the same, so I figured that I'd just spring for OEM.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Nice find. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Q to OP: did you return the fakes to Amazon? I mean for $2 I'd run it, for $8 screw that! And also, China fake's are getting sooo good. I love it.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Chinese ripping off the Chinese. Good catch.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Mann filters are everywhere. Just stick to those.
There is no Mann filter available for the new 2.0 engine. It's either Mahle or Genuine Volvo if you want something quality. The actual Genuine Volvo ones can be had for about $13 each. The Mahle are about the same, so I figured that I'd just spring for OEM.

Ah, yes well I would stay with Mahle and/or Volvo.

By the way, the technical term to call the Volvo branded part would be "OE." OEM is when you refer to the part manufacturer who supplies OE parts to vehicle manufacturers. So when you buy a filter from an OEM supplier, that means they might the OE filter supplier for VW but not necessarily for Volvo.

I mention this because for the case of the old T5 and T6, the Mann filter for the oil and cabin air have the same markings as the "OE" Volvo without the Volvo logo, so you can clearly tell they are one and the same. I could imagine that the Volvo filter in your case could likely be the rebranded Mahle part.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been buying Mann filters from FCP Euro for my C70 for the past couple of years or so... just bought oil, air and cabin filter for my S from them this week, along with a grille sticker I got over the free shipping threshold. Ordered late Tuesday, shipped yesterday, arriving tomorrow... and free lifetime replacements :D
Thanks to the board here I got wife's wipers from FCP Euro. She LOVES them. Now about the oil filter, how do you go about returning that w/o creating a biohazard? :)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Have to say I've never yet bothered to actually return a used oil filter - I ordered a bunch of them some time ago and haven't used them all yet, so don't need to order any more - the way postage is these days I'm figuring it probably costs almost as much to send one back as it does to just buy one anyway

·
Registered
71 Posts
Chinese ripping off the Chinese. Good catch.
They do it all the time, they go into the chinese factory and copy the manufacturing machines and process. Sometimes they even make the part in the same factory but with inferior materials.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Q to OP: did you return the fakes to Amazon? I mean for $2 I'd run it, for $8 screw that! And also, China fake's are getting sooo good. I love it.
I am returning the fakes to Amazon and plan to file a complaint with Amazon against this seller/listing. I don't care if it's free... I wouldn't run it. It's not worth the risk of increased wear due to poor filtration.

·
Registered
14,019 Posts
Just buy them from a trusted seller like ipd. I get them by the case.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts