SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently at my volvo dealership getting my R looked at to see if there is somthing wrong with my suspension/struts that would be causing the inside of my rear tires to cup. My tires have 17k miles on them and have been properly maintained with rotation and tire pressure their whole life. If suspension if fine and everything else I am at a loss. My question is what is the possible correlation of side-hop and cupping of tires? It's to the point where every person that has been in the car with me has asked why my car moves like that. It becomes a bit scary when speed limits are at 70mph and hitting bumps. Three dealerships now and all three haven't heard of this problem.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: Could this be the cause? (hoagrod)

Many R owners, myself included, have side-hop without a trace of tire cupping. Cupping can be caused by worn struts. How many miles on your struts? And wear on your inner tires make me think alignment is off. How long ago was your last alignment?

·
Registered
2,964 Posts

Cupping is an alignment problem. Sidehop is a zillion other things all working together to produce the effect. Alignment and sidehop are also related.<p>I recommend (not necessarily in this order):<p>1. Updated SUM software installed in your 2005 car.<br>2. ReSUM once that's performed<br>3. Alignment according to current VOLVO specs. Shoot for a near "0" rear toe spec on the rear wheels, only.<br>4. Check air pressure in all 4 tires and adjust accordingly.<p>Now, if your tires are already showing cupping/wear, I'm not sure if that's a good thing to ride on, meaning it might create drivability issues depending on severity. I've never experienced cupping in my tires, so others can chime in here and elucidate on this.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Re: Could this be the cause? (Short Circuit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Short Circuit</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>3. Alignment according to current VOLVO specs. Shoot for a near "0" rear toe spec on the rear wheels, only.<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Also make sure there isn't too much negative camber.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I bought the car with 24K miles on it. It's had side hop ever since I bought it, but at the time had no idea what it was called until learning on SS and other Minnesota guys with the problem. I bought new Goodyear Eagle F1 A/S about 15-16k miles ago and have been rotating and keeping tire pressure at proper levels the whole time. My car was aligned at my volvo dealership at the end of March this year. One month later the car was re-checked and confirmed at proper volvo specs for alignment. My car now has 42,122 miles on it. Currently as we speak at the volvo dealership getting struts/suspension checked. Awaiting results!!!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Token Blk Guy)

Apparently when hitting imperfections/manholes/patched cracks etc and your car shimmies back and forth. Kind of feels like (if you ever have) if you hit an ice patch and your rear end begins to slide then you hit pavement again and the car jerks back to correct itself.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>hoagrod</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm currently at my volvo dealership getting my R looked <br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Did you take the service guys for a ride on rough roads to show them what side hop feels like?

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Re: (hoagrod)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>hoagrod</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Apparently when hitting imperfections/manholes/patched cracks etc and your car shimmies back and forth. Kind of feels like (if you ever have) if you hit an ice patch and your rear end begins to slide then you hit pavement again and the car jerks back to correct itself.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>The reason the side hop feels nasty on Rs is that only the REAR hops sideways, and it will also sometimes do it while driving straight ahead if you hit certain kinds of bumps.<p>Every car will "hop" sideways over big bumps while cornering hard at speed, however the front and rear "hop" together so you don't feel like you're oversteering off into a tree.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got the report from service. They said my alignment/suspension and everything is tight and right on. They had suggested that the belt line in my tires could be going. Not sure what this means. They want $99 to do an impact test.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: (hoagrod)

Are they suggesting that the tires themselves are causing excessive wear on the inner edges and cupping? No way. Something else is wrong.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Could this be the cause? (Warpedcow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Warpedcow</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also make sure there isn't too much negative camber.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>And rear camber is not adjustable. My R is a bit out of spec at -1.1 (IIRC -.9 is max factory) but that may be due to the age of the rear shocks.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Re: Could this be the cause? (MagoonR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>MagoonR</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>And rear camber is not adjustable. My R is a bit out of spec at -1.1 (IIRC -.9 is max factory) but that may be due to the age of the rear shocks.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Correct. So if it is badly off, you need the IPD camber bushings. A relative's 2004 S80 AWD needed them as the stock rear camber was past -2.0 on both sides and it chewed up rear tires like mad.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: (Warpedcow)

If you're a skier, sidehop in the R kind of feels like going down a mogul run.<p>You're constantly redirecting yourself in different directions on particularly bumpy patches of road. I would venture a guess that this phenomenon isn't nearly as problematic in California (where roads tend to be in better shape) as it might be in the Northeast (where frost heaves literally consumer our highways during the Winter).<p>Here's my description of the side hop in an <A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=45080&page=2" TARGET="_blank">ooooooold post...</A><p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Sue Esponte</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Picture yourself in the left lane of the highway. Traffic is heavy but you're moving at a steady 45-50mph. There's no room in front of you or behind you. Another commuter is hugging the lefthand side of center lane in his Escalade with 22s while talking on the phone, completely unaware of your existence. Immediately to your left is your best friend: the Jersey barrier. There is nothing resembling a breakdown lane or any latitude for movement to your left as they're doing construction along the highway for the next 10 miles. Out of nowhere your car sidesteps to the left. You counter to the right to avoid the concrete obstruction to your left which is lining the highway, and quickly cross your lane approaching the Escalade, and counter back again, hoping (a) the car will settle in the center of the lane, (b) that you won't hit another bump significant enough to offset the current sidestep you're managing, and (c) that the guy to your right doesn't either (i) cross his lane into yours because he's clueless, or (ii) freak out that you've jerked your car towards him, causing him to veer into someone else to his right (because, again, he's clueless). And then it happens all over again. Why? Simply because the road is imperfect. And, outside of other R drivers sharing the road with you, none of them have a clue because their car is going where they pointed it.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>-Eric

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Re: (Sue Esponte)

In my car at least, it tends to side hop MUCH more if there are people sitting in the back seat. Exactly when it's most embarrassing and I get "why is your car doing that?"<p>I've got 0 toe in the rear and the upgraded bushings and 39psi tire pressure and IPD track spec sways. No relief. I just live with it and cringe and get ready when I see a rough patch of road on a curve.

·
Premium Member
6,526 Posts
Re: (djkronik57)

I think the concensus of the old timers is that one of the major causes of the sidehop is the stock springs (and how well they work, or don't work, with the 4C).<p>Do you still have the stock springs? For my R, the springs made a significant difference. I also did an ipd rear bar done at the same time. It's not perfect but its infinitely more liveable and I don't cringe anymore when I drive over long patchy roads.<p>I could be wrong about this (and I'm sure someone will correct me) but I'd also think that higher tire pressures might actually aggravate the problem since the tires might be more apt to react more forcefully to the road imperfections instead of absorbing them.<p>Just my $.02,<p>-Eric

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Re: (Sue Esponte)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Sue Esponte</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I<br>I could be wrong about this (and I'm sure someone will correct me) but I'd also think that higher tire pressures might actually aggravate the problem since the tires might be more apt to react more forcefully to the road imperfections instead of absorbing them.<br></TD></TR></TABLE><p>Correct. Try 34-36psi front and 32-34psi rear COLD pressure (set it in the morning after the car has sat overnight). Lots less sidehop. 39+ psi is WAY TOO HIGH IMHO.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I tried lowering my tire pressure and went on the same road that I know gives me side hop. Same results occured, no reduction in side hop. How could this type of problem be looked over or not even noticed by engineers and mechanics of volvos when this car was produced. Why should i have to shell out all this extra money for sways, springs, bushings etc just to get my car to ride normal? This problem should be addressed and fixed with out question. What if this type of hop were to happen on an icy highway? Don't get me wrong this car is a pleasure to drive, but just all the crap I've gone through I would trade this in instantly if I could afford too.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Re: (Warpedcow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>Warpedcow</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>Correct. Try 34-36psi front and 32-34psi rear COLD pressure (set it in the morning after the car has sat overnight). Lots less sidehop. 39+ psi is WAY TOO HIGH IMHO.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Really? I recently had both rear wheel bearings replaced, and afterwards while running 35 psi all around I suddenly noticed side hop for the first time since buying the car. I upped the tire pressure to 39 psi all around and side hop greatly reduced.<p>Cheers,<p>Jeff

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Re: (soupandspoons)

These tire PSI recommendations are being offered without any context as to the size of the tire!!!<p>For 18" tires, you ought to run higher PSI's. Else, you're going to bend a rim. For 17" tires, the lower PSI's are appropriate - to minimize side-hop.<p>So the PSI's being recommended above are for 17" tires, IMO.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts