SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an upgraded ECM (I'm not at liberty to say who). Other than that it's stock. I was getting onto 520 West from W. Sammamish Pkwy and heading up the entrance ramp this Mazda takes off. So I figured I would be able to easily pass him especially on the curve. Boy was I wrong.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Could not keep up with a Mazda3 five door (dgloveR)

And so goes the trials of the 2004/2005 GT owner. Are you sure that your "upgraded ECM" was functioning properly? Any reflashes lately?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Re: Could not keep up with a Mazda3 five door (MagoonR)

who knows what the mazda had on it.

have you reset your ECU lately?
what were the temps like?
what octane gas do you run?

a relatively stock R, running in warm/hot weather, on 91 gas is a pig. You'd have a hard time outrunning soemthign like an Acura RSX-S under the wrong circumstances....

from personal experiences...I can say that temperature + gas can make WORLDS of differences in these cars.

hot + 91 and you barely keep up with a stock 350Z.
cool = 93+ and you pull on an M3....

small engines + turbos = tempermental

sometimes my car is on fire..sometimes it's not. lots to do with gas and heat

maybe we should all just get a Z06 and not worry about stuff lke heat and gas..

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Re: Could not keep up with a Mazda3 five door (23109VC)

Quote, originally posted by 23109VC »

maybe we should all just get a Z06 and not worry about stuff lke heat and gas..

You'll still worry about gas with a Z06 . . . right after the first gas card statement shows up.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Throwing my 2 cents in.

Just to give you an idea of what heat can do, my S/C'ed S2000 lost more than 40rwhp on the dyno on a hot summer day after 3 or 4 runs. After I iced it down, literally, it regained those ponies after about 30 minutes of cool down.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was running 92 and the temps were in the high 50s. ECU has not been reset. I've had a couple of Volvo techs drive the car and they were thoroughly impressed with the power; and yes the torque limiter has been removed.

I've thought about selling but I really love my Volvo. I always have. This is my third Volvo.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Re: Could not keep up with a Mazda3 five door (dgloveR)

My GT with an upgraded ECU did very well against a Acura TL 6MT with an experienced driver (friend of mine).

In the northwest, temperature is not an issue folks. It is mild all year round for the most part. It's supposed to hit 70 on Sunday, and that's the warmest it's been in a long time.

By the way, I know the Mazda3's very well. I almost bought one. There's no way I would lose to one of those, even stock.

Modified by frankhoffy at 10:32 AM 4-21-2006

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Even if I were a bad driver the GT would compensate for that especially in a straight line.

I just don't see how a Mazda3 could be putting out more than 340 or so with such a small engine. Stock set up on that car is 160hp/160tq or something similar.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (dgloveR)

Quote, originally posted by dgloveR »
I just don't see how a Mazda3 could be putting out more than 340 or so with such a small engine. Stock set up on that car is 160hp/160tq or something similar.

It probably had a lot of decals and of course.... a fart can.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Something ain't right. A Mazda 3 is basically a Volvo S40. Even with the 160 HP engine, you should be able to crush it.
Don, I can't remember if your wagon is a stick or auto.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nein! This was not the MazdaSpeed6 or the MazdaSpeed 3. It was a standard Mazda3 five-door.

Although I must admit that when I hit about 5k RPMs in 2nd gear it feels like an anchor has been thrown out the window. No codes are being thrown though.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Re: (Tekk)

maybe something is wrong with your car??? no way a stock or even mildly modded Mazda 3 should be able to keep up with you.

they have minimal power. even when my car was stock I would walk away from my bro in law in his mildly modded RSX-S - which is 200hp.

reset your ECU.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts