SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious as to what you guys have towed with the XC60. Obviously it should have enough power, but can it handle the weight? I get conflicting opinions...

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
I would think so, but check the cargo weight capacity. I could be wrong, but isn't most of the horse's weight over the trailer axle(s)? The weight at the tow point should be under the capacity limits of the XC60 for a small trailer, I would think.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
As long as it is not a Clysdale! :p

·
3,899 Posts
How far of a distance and what gradient are you pulling up or down? The power is not the issue, it's the transmission, especially overheating it.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would hope so. Saw a '89+ Mercedes SL pulling a small horse trailer on the Autobahn a few years back and they're not even rated for trailers AFAIK.

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's a complicated question, there are lots of constraints. Look out for total weight, tongue weight, hitch rating, car GVW (passengers + cargo), elevation, grade, etc.
I would recommend you it up like the trip you plan on taking (passengers too) and take it to a local scale. They should be able to weigh each axle. There are better explanations online.
If you plan on using the trailer for a horse, don't get too close to the rated value since (s)he can shift weight unexpectedly.
And there's always the difference between "can" and "should".

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
And there's always the difference between "can" and "should".
Yes, very true! Seems like the XC60 is a bit of a wimp in the towing department when looking at the specs...

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
You could always ask the local service manager or call VOA to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes, very true! Seems like the XC60 is a bit of a wimp in the towing department when looking at the specs...
That gets back to the subjective nature of towing specs. EU vehicles tend to have higher towing capacity than their US counterparts. The only distinction is that they are rated for traveling at 50 mph and US models are rated for 65 mph.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You could always ask the local service manager or call VOA to be sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The shop foreman at my dealer is confident it would be ok. Best to just get a truck and keep the strain off the XC! :)

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
The shop foreman at my dealer is confident it would be ok. Best to just get a truck and keep the strain off the XC! :)
If it matters, one of my colleagues towed a trailer loaded with an old Jaguar on it, with no issues at all; the car was a FWD (!) XC60 T5 Drive-E.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
For what it's worth, I know itwontstopsnowin has towed some pretty heavy trailers. There was a post but I'm too lazy to find it and the figures were in pounds which is a useless measurement to me. Not to downplay his XC90 V8 but it is a car that launched in 2003 with an engine that has the same torque, though yours peak earlier by some thousand RPMs.

I know the towing couplers and entire setups differ from europe to the states but a swedish spec XC60 T6 '15 is rated to tow 2,0 tonnes. So is the D5 aut. An XC90 V8 is rated to tow 2,25 tonnes but on the other hand so is the XC90 3.2 so as someone said, power isn't the issue. 2,0 tonnes ≈ 4400 lbs.

Edit: Just realized OP could have the earlier T6 but I couldn't find the figures for that one. Still, if the XC90 V8 is rated to tow as much as an XC90 D5 I doubt the old T6 is rated lower than the 2011+ T6.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The US Volvo trailer hitch is rated at only 3,300lb/1,500kg. Seems low to me too, but I think it's chassis related and not power even if EU limits are higher.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts